Help setup for one of my users.

vaise

I installed an Apple TV for the user over a year ago.
They have had to delete and reinstall the emby app.
They say they only get the emby connect setup screen, asking for a pin etc.

I have said they need to search for a 'manual server setup' or something like that, but they say its not an option.

As I don’t have one, I can’t assist.

Can anyone give setup instructions from starting Emby for the first time?

Where is the manual server setup option exactly?

Edited by vaise

Manual server setup in the Apple TV Emby app is broken with a fresh install of the current Apple TV stable & beta app, when no local Emby server is running on the same network.

Manual server setup in the Apple TV Emby app is broken with a fresh install of the current Apple TV stable & beta app, when no local Emby server is running on the same network.

This is fixed in the beta as far as I know...

Oh dear!

Im on the beta emby server, beta roku and beta AndroidTV and actively test each.

IMO, for that to make it to through ATV beta testing and into the general release means maybe not enough beta testers on Apple TV.

I just informed the remote user (they are not IT tech savy and no idea what a beta is).

In Australia, we are hobbled without easy access to emby capable streaming devices - Cant buy roku's officially here, Only Apple TV is available by just walking into a shop. 

How long before this fix will get to the release ? 

I would hope a patch to the release

vdatanet

...means maybe not enough beta testers on Apple TV...

The problem is not really the lack of beta testers, there are not enough developers. Most issues are reported, but aren't fixed because the lack of developing resources.

Please, don't blame beta testers.  :)

Edited by vdatanet
  • Like 2

Im sure the limited dev's would have fixed that specific issue if they knew about it.

Im sure (i would hope) that issue would not have made it to live if they knew about it.

Im sure the limited dev's would have fixed that specific issue if they knew about it.

Im sure (i would hope) that issue would not have made it to live if they knew about it.

Both are dream world scenarios, but feel free to contribute :rolleyes:

• Like 1

@@vaise -- We've released a bug fix update. Can you restart the app and try again please?

I have emailed my ATV user.  Will report back.  They are not technical, so I assume the app auto updates, but I have asked her to :

1 - reboot ATV

2 - Check issue

3 - uninstall / reinstall

4 - Check issue

This specific user had a few issues with the Roku playing back a few formats (fixed a month or so later), and hence paid AUD$279 for the ATV.

A crazy amount as just used for an emby client.

The ShieldTV can be bought for the same amount here - but not in shops, online online stores, but is 'official'.  

The roku's can be bought on ebay for AUD$70 from people that import them from USA - I hate seeing all those USD$15 in my news feed for roku's.

Rip off Australia..... Again.

This is all working now after a remove / re-add of the app.

Thanks heaps from the end user.

For an alternative have a look at Mi Box s works really well as a emby client I got two so far and very happy with them they are around $100. They had an issue where they couldn't deinterlace properly but software update fixed all that and so far very happy with them plus you can add all the Australian catch up tv services. 

I like Apple TV but the remote gets flat batteries quickly so most of time I have to use my mobile phone that is the only disappointment about the whole apple tv device.