Question about mkv aspect ratio

thrillcat

sfatula

Basically you want original material and FAKE the AR to something the physical media technically is not.  

Emby probes the media, so 3840X2160 is 16:9.

I agree with you. To be fair, his problem is a real problem. When you have projector masking, it's sure nice to know in advance as otherwise, you start movie, then have to stop potentially and adjust. So, it is definitely useful as he asked in post1. Technically, it's 16:9 and that is correct, but nevertheless, it's very handy to know in advance with projectors and those who use masking. I just don't think it's possible other than manually titling it. Maybe there are other ideas. 

• Like 1

Happy2Play

There are other topics, but Emby only uses the probed information and written to the database.  It does not use the info written to nfo file if you write them.  

I don't remember there ever being a field via Edit metadata, I guess there use to be a field for this that no longer exist.

I don't know the specifics, but I believe you can set this header info via MKVToolNix without having to do anything to the media.  

But to me this information should be applied at the time you rip the media.

thrillcat

The other solution I proposed is adjusting the movie title, it's a one time effort along with the change to Emby setting. That wouldn't work for you? Seems pretty simple.

How do you otherwise propose to get around movies that come out in different formats (same movie) with different aspect ratios? Consider this page:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1477834/technical

Simple, but less than elegant. Until they can simply pull the FILM’s aspect ratio instead of the MEDIA’s aspect ration, I’ll just continue to check IMDB first.

Seems like there has to be someone out there with this database that would allow access.

Edit: addition.

As for multiple aspect ratios, I’d list as it’s listed on blu-ray.com (two aspect ratios listed), which would quickly and easily tell me that it was a gimmicky multi-aspect ratio release and set my screen up for a scope presentation. [emoji6]

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Aquaman-4K-Blu-ray/222811/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by thrillcat
  • Like 1

sfatula

I believe you can set this header info via MKVToolNix without having to do anything to the media.  

But to me this information should be applied at the time you rip the media.

It can be set with many tools without any video processing. Even ffmpeg can set that tag. Wouldn't be too difficult to script it on Linux at least, for all movies, use ffmpeg to detect the bars and set the header tag to note it. 

My current projector setup has no masking, next one when I upgrade it to a 4k projector will. I'll do it all at the same time as there are several upgrades needed including the screen. 

• Like 1

thrillcat

Basically you want original material and FAKE the AR to something the physical media technically is not.  

Emby probes the media, so 3840X2160 is 16:9.

I really just don't care what the aspect ratio of the file is. I care what the aspect ratio of the FILM is. I don't mask for the file. I mask for the film.

• Like 1