Adjust subtitle position?

filthyfreak

filthyfreak

Trying out this app on my Samsung QA65Q75RAWXXY, there is one main thing preventing me from using it.

The subtitles are camped at the bottom of the screen, almost at the bottom edge.

Can they be re-positioned to a height that is normal? Or make it possible for us to adjust it?

They shouldn't be in the black area at all.

post-575251-0-46918000-1579952813_thumb.jpg

Trying out this app on my Samsung QA65Q75RAWXXY, there is one main thing preventing me from using it.

The subtitles are camped at the bottom of the screen, almost at the bottom edge.

Can they be re-positioned to a height that is normal? Or make it possible for us to adjust it?

They shouldn't be in the black area at all.

attachicon.gif20200125_221430.jpg

Thanks for the feedback.

Maybe it's just personal preference, but aren't they easier to read in this area instead of over the picture?  I often see subtitles in this area so I wouldn't say it is not normal.  What is worse is when they overlap both the picture and the black area at the same time.

I expect others will share some feedback in this topic.

Edited by SamES

FrostByte

I've always preferred them near the bottom of the actual movie.  That way my eyes don't have to move way down to the bottom of the TV to read something and can stay nearer the center of the picture to enjoy the movie.  If my eyes are are always down at the bottom reading text (especially with a movie that has all subtitles) then I feel I miss more of the actual movie.  That of course would depend on the resolution of he picture itself, something like Interstellar which are full screen with no black bars would still be toward the bottom of the TV.

There are other Emby apps that put them at the bottom of the picture part.  Though I'm guessing they may use the resolution of the file to determine where to put the subtitles.  If you tend to watch remuxes with the black bars not cropped then my guess is that they may still be in the black area near the bottom of the TV.  Most of my movies are cropped though so in ATV the subtitles are at the bottom of the movie and in Samsung they are at the bottom of the TV.

FrostByte

With ASS files you can specify the resolution of the movie.  If the Samsung app could read and honor that setting then the user could control where the subtitle sits.  I'm pretty sure you're reading the text size in the file, so you may be able to read the resolution

filthyfreak

I've always preferred them near the bottom of the actual movie.  That way my eyes don't have to move way down to the bottom of the TV to read something and can stay nearer the center of the picture to enjoy the movie.

Yep this pretty much. With them at the very bottom my eyes have to travel more and it's harder to keep focus on the movie.

This is what I consider normal but obviously that's up for debate;

5e2c40af96420_sub_pos.png

Edited by filthyfreak
  • Like 1

With ass , they should be being rendered as per the location in the ass file. We don’t specify that directly

For other text formats such as srt, we can push them up, but for full frame 16:9 formats they will then be 1/3 of the way up the screen. Is that what happens in ATV or is the position based on the picture size (which we don’t always know as they might be encoded 16:9 with black bars beneath them)

I don’t mind either way.

Edited by SamES

FrostByte

With ass , they should be being rendered as per the location in the ass file. We don’t specify that directly

For other text formats such as srt, we can push them up, but for full frame 16:9 formats they will then be 1/3 of the way up the screen. Is that what happens in ATV or is the position based on the picture size (which we don’t always know as they might be encoded 16:9 with black bars beneath them)

I don’t mind either way.

For ASS it must be counting the margin vertical setting from the bottom of the screen then and not the bottom per the video resolution like ATV does.  I even tried adding the resolution of the file to the ASS and it ignores that.

ATV subs (ASS/SRT) are always positioned at the same height from bottom by file resolution (not the bottom of your TV by its resolution).  So for cropped movies (3840x1600) it looks like filthyfreaks pic.  For non-cropped movies (3840x2160) ATV subs are the same height but from the bottom of the TV so they would be in the black area.  

Doesn't really matter to me.  I can add another 560 pixels to the margin vertical setting of ASS subs if that's what it's using.  The problem arises when one switches back and forth between clients.  So I would need a ATV sub file and a Samsung ASS sub file in order to have the same experience.  Also, you can't position SRT as far as I know.  

Edited by FrostByte

Yes, ASS will be using the full screen height.

Let me have a play with using the video resolution to set this for ASS and SRT

• Like 2