Sync Watched

tuvx

Is there a setting required to have the watched status in Kodi match that of Emby? After watching an episode Kodi marks it as watched; in a few seconds a message is displayed stating the episode is syncing with Emby, which then causes the episode to be marked as unwatched. Am I missing something or is there not 2-way sync'ing?

TeamB

Yes it should sync by default.

Do you have the server plugin Trakt installed on your server? If so try removing the Trakt plugin from the server and see if that helps. It has been observed that the Trakt Emby server plugin can causing these sorts of watched/unwatched issues.

No never have installed Trakt. I should have noted, the episodes are correctly marked in the web browser; it is just Kodi is not reading the status correctly (which I am assuming is handled by the Emby plug-in).

TeamB

Which Kodi addon are you using "Emby for Kodi" or "EmbyCon"?

So if you mark something as watched in the Emby Web interface it stays marked?

Emby for Kodi.

Yes, there are no issues with the web interface marking and reporting watched media. The issue is only with Kodi not correctly updating the watched flags (even after reboot). Another interesting issue, After watching an episode, the episode still appears in the folder under the TV Show Name - Season, but (in Kodi only) there is now a second folder with the same TV Show Name with the watched file (which is correctly marked in that folder). I verified the same issue on another device running Kodi (episode watched status not updated), but it did eventually update.

So possibly two issues:

1) Kodi is NOT updating the watched flags to match the Emby server

2) Kodi is copying watched episodes to a new folder (on that device only)

5e2a3a5b9fa95_screenshot000.png

5e2a3a6c7edd0_screenshot001.png

5e2a3a895d9e7_WebInterface.png

Edited by tuvx

TeamB

I am not the Emby for Kodi dev so I can not comment on that addon, I maintain the EmvyCon addon, the first thing you are going to be asked for is are client and server log showing the error taking place.

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/17599-how-to-report-a-problem/

Then hopefully on of the Emby for Kodi devs can help you out.

It would be interesting to see what the EmbyCon addon sees as your watched statuses for the shows you are having issues with, the addons should work side by side with no issues if you have the time to test.

TeamB

ok thanks for testing. It sounds like it is a sync issue with Emby for Kodi, hopefully someone that can help with that will be able to take a look at your logs.

• 2 weeks later...

Since there does not seem to be any support for this addon, I simply reinstalled and reset the local library which appeared to fix the issue.

Since there does not seem to be any support for this addon, I simply reinstalled and reset the local library which appeared to fix the issue.

Hi, yes there is plenty of support here, just look in the community at all of the responses given to users. Sometimes change can take a little time though.

I do not think my comment is unjustified; I have posted in many other areas of Emby and have gotten great responses within hours of posting, but there have been zero replies from the developer of this add on for nearly 2 weeks. I did not make an enhancement request or ask for a bug fix, simply to investigate why communication between server and client was not working as expected. Even an I don't know, try to reinstall " is a better response than none (if this add on is still supported).

TeamB

These Kodi add-ons are created and supported by end users, depending on what is happening in peoples real world situations it can take some time to get someone to dig deep into an issue.

The good news is you have options, there are now 3 add-ons you can play with:

- Emby for Kodi (https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/21888-emby-for-kodi/)

- EmcyCon (https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/78547-embycon-faq/)

- Kodi Media Import (https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/80916-kodi-mediaimport-project/)

Each add-on uses a different approach and will all act act slightly differently in different use cases. Have a play and find one that works for you.

@Luke: No, the reinstall did the trick. It was only happening on my osmc device, but all good now, thank you.

@TeamB: EmbyCon is very nice, but I prefer the media available directly on the home screens to simplify finding. I know I can create widgets to easily jump and cute these, but the Emby for Kodi is just a better fit for my needs. Thank you for the suggestions.

TeamB

@Luke: No, the reinstall did the trick. It was only happening on my osmc device, but all good now, thank you.

@TeamB: EmbyCon is very nice, but I prefer the media available directly on the home screens to simplify finding. I know I can create widgets to easily jump and cute these, but the Emby for Kodi is just a better fit for my needs. Thank you for the suggestions.

Yep, EmbyCon is not a good fit for a lot of people.

With any sync approach you will at some point have sync issues.

The new Kodi Media Import might be worth a try but it is a bit experimental atm and only .

The person currently maintaining the Emby for Kodi add-on is on and off the forums a bit, if Emby for Kodi is truly your only acceptable option then you may need to wait a little bit to get input from them.