Problems converting large number of movies ripped with VIDEO_TS folder/VOB files

TikiShack

TikiShack

I have a machine on which I'll be setting up Emby Media Server. The client will be the Emby app on a Roku Ultra. The machine has a bunch of movie directories that were ripped in such a way that there's [MOVIE_NAME]/VIDEO_TS/VTS_XX_X.VOB (several files). I wrote a bash script to go to each of these directories and run mkisofs to create a single ISO.

My plan was to delete the VIDEO_TS directories and all the VOBs once this was done but I've hit a snag- most of these movies were ripped with the menu and all the extra features. When I try to launch any of these ISOs in VLC, it comes up to the disc menu and I have to click "Play Movie". Will I be able to do that using the Roku remote in the Emby app on the Roku? (If so, the rest of this post is moot.)

On one movie, I tried deleting VTS_01_0.VOB to VTS_01_0.xyz the running mkisofs again and it worked. But the second movie I tried that with, it didn't work -- it still came up to the disc menu. If the menu VOB isn't standard, then I can't automate it - and I'm not going to do all these movies manually.

Let's say I let my script create all the ISO images and then write another script that uses a linux program to take the ISO as an input file, automatically extract the main title, main (AC3) audio track, and any forced subtitles, and output it - quickly, without transcoding or compression/degradation - as an ISO or MKV. Can anyone recommend a simple tool that will do this? My experience with Handbrake CLI (and it's been a while) is that there are a ton of options and ultimately it will get it done - but it takes quite a while to process each movie. Maybe things have changed? Maybe I'm not using the right CLI options? Maybe there's something better?

Advice? Suggestions?

Edited by TikiShack

arrbee99

Don't know nuffink about Linux, but maybe MakeMKV could work ?

Apparently there's a Linux version.

Apparently you can tell it to only select certain tracks and stuff, like in this - https://www.reddit.com/r/DataHoarder/comments/865hya/batch_make_mkv_remux/dw3ontf/

So maybe you can set it up to do that with a minimum time for items i.e. only rip stuff thats longer than 10 minutes or whatever.

And possibly it can be combined with this https://www.reddit.com/r/DataHoarder/comments/865hya/batch_make_mkv_remux/dw3ontf/ but that might be just a Windows thing.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
RanmaCanada

Use makemkv and remux the files into mkv.  ISO's have not been supported by Emby for years (I personally had a lot of iso's and just remuxed them)  By remuxing, you are not losing any quality, and you can also remux any extras you want and have them shown properly in the movie area.  It will be tedious as I don't think there is any way to automate it properly.