3D Blu-Ray Movies in MediaBrowser & Feature Request

Rafi1001

Mazter Jedi

So do you think it could be as simple as encoding the movies correctly and firing it up in MediaBrowswer in the Roku? I can always force 3D thru the TV...what would say is the best way to properly encode a 3D movie?

barrettuk

And for me, like the OP I want to keep the pq at 100% do I don't want to convert to HSBS but then I am using a PC not Roku for 3D - mine is projected on a 132" screen :-) which for 3D is soooooo much better then watching it on my 3D 50" TV

Also I guess a work around would be to manually open the file with stereoscopic player but it seems like to should be easy to fire up the external player for that file type to keep the experience of MB

Edited by barrettuk

Mazter Jedi

I am using a 55" TV and 3D looks great in the small room it is in. Cant talk the wife into a projector :D Tharnax, I loaded the ISO into MakeMKV and located the correct stream. I am using Frozen 3D for testing. There were actually 3 3D streams all of the same length, language everything...dont know why, will have to do some trial and error I suppose to see if I picked the correct one. I named the file "Frozen3Dtest[HSBS].mkv I will test later and see what happens.

Tharnax

Best way currently would be to put the 3D movie in an MKV container as HSBS and include [HSBS] in the naming of the file. MakeMKV can make HSBS 3D MKV files.   I usually use a format "Movie name (Year) [HSBS].mkv.  MBS will identify the movie as 3D and if you use Ebr's cover art plug-in you can setup a 3D visual identifier in MBS so you know which of your movies are in fact 3D.

Launch the HSBS video through your Roku and it will stream the [HSBS] video fine, you just may have to inform the TV that Roku is sending a 3D video.

Tharnax

@mazter-jedi

I can't talk specifically about how an MVC MKV or 3D ISO would display on a Roku, however, I have many Half Side x Side 3D movies in MKV containers tagged appropriately in a 3D folder as [HSBS] and the Roku 3 picks it up fine.  Some 3D TVs recognized the 3D format being passed to it and automatically adjusts the TV, where as others I have to manually switch the TV to SBS but in either case 3D plays fine.

The issue would be with MVC MKV and having the option from the Roku window to play the MVC MKV in either 2D or 3D format.  Knowing that I could re-rip all my 3D Blu-ray movies into a single contain with the ability to play it in either 2D or 3D format, that would be fantastic not just for ease of watching in either format but to save hard drive space, I'm all for it, if it's possible. 

• Like 1

Mazter Jedi

Alas, success was not found. The movie was only in 2D. I also tried Wreck It Ralph and Avatar and they both also came out 2D. I did notice all 3 movies have more than 1 stream of the same file size with the same language, etc. options. All of streams indicated 3D mvc. Am I to assume one of these is left eye and the another is right eye, and need to be combined thru MKVMerge? Kinda dissappointing not having it work, much less not really knowing how to do it for sure nor can it be done at all.

TroyBennett

@@ebr

Everything has a solution ..

I am still of the opinion that the server doesn't need to recognize full MVC 3D format.

As for the dilemma you described, here we use the tagging option in the editor.

I'll explain ..

Tagging options are:

HSBS

HTAB

FSBS - The only format used is full MVC 3D (see quote)

FTAB - The only format used is full MVC 3D (see quote)

Wouldn't tagging a 3d MVC file as full top and bottom or full side by side would be an incorrect tag.  They should add a tag called MVC3D or just MVC as a 3d tag. That way for those who have full TABs or full SBS they don't get an extra prompt or option to play 2D version of the file when there isn't a way to do so.

I for one would love an option to play both 2d and 3d from the same file.

MediaBrowser Theater is what I use and when I have the movie poster highlighted and press play. There should be a default option to play the movie as 3D or 2D.  That option can be set up in settings and would apply for all movies with the appropriate tag.  However when i press the OK button when I'm on the move poster I get the movie details page and there I'd be okay with buttons for Play or Play 3D.

Edited by TroyBennett

TrackZ

+1 on the need for a MVC 3D tag in the meta data. I've posted about when I first started playing with MB3. Then the ability to trigger playback as 2D or 3D would be excellent.

• Like 2

Mfusick

+1 on the need for a MVC 3D tag in the meta data. I've posted about when I first started playing with MB3. Then the ability to trigger playback as 2D or 3D would be excellent.

It would but ultra cool if there was a play icon for both 3D and 2D and depending on what you clicked it played in 2D or 3D (even if with external player for 3D)

• Like 4

Rafi1001

I trust ebr and luke to do great work. I received a positive answer that the idea that I raised in section 13 shall be taken into account.

• 2 months later...
Rafi1001

@ebr, @Luke

First thing, thank you for allows backdrops to rotate during theme music playback.

Remains only to take care the 3D feature and MediaBrowser software will be perfect for me!

Because you supported me with the requests, I donated another $ 15 as a tribute to you.

@ebr, @Luke

Is there any progress on this issue?

Nothing yet.  This would be a large change that would need to trickle through to every single app.  It is still on our list to consider.

• Like 1

Deihmos

Why do you need an external player for 3d movie playback? I am not a fan of 3D but tried it out in WMC and it worked fine.

jhoff80

Why do you need an external player for 3d movie playback? I am not a fan of 3D but tried it out in WMC and it worked fine.

You must be talking about either a side-by-side or top-bottom 3D file, I think.  Both of those lose resolution, and require the video to be reencoded into that format.  On top of that, if you want video in both 2D and 3D you need two separate files.

3D MVC is the codec that 3D Blu-rays store video in.  That can be remuxed into the MKV container, but then only a single player (Stereoscopic Player) can open it in true 3D.  In my case, that's fine most of the time.  Most of the time I'll want to watch that MKV in 2D, which any player (even WMC w/ LAVfilters) can do.  Except sometimes I do watch them in 3D.  In order to do that, I need to open that same MKV in Stereoscopic Player.  It'd be nice to have MBC have the option (for certain pre-flagged files in this format) to prompt the user what to open it in.

I know it's more difficult than it sounds, and I know it's not exactly high priority, but it'd be nice.

Edited by jhoff80
  • Like 1

Deihmos

Oh I see. I did not know this but now I am confused. The side by side mkv cannot be viewed in 2D? Are you saying there are two different ways to create a 3d movie in mkv?

Edited by Deihmos

Rafi1001

MK3D/ reencoded 3D is for older types of 3D content which can be displayed a number of different ways. It is basically a normal 2D MKV file which has an additional flag added that indicates how the 3D content is to be displayed. They call it StereoMode flag.

Bluray 3D has been standardized and is always in MVC format or it cannot be sold as "Bluray 3d". Therefore, MVC content is always in the same format and does not need an extra flag telling a player that it is 3D and how to play the content.

The reason they have standardized on MVC is because it is 100% backward compatible with 2D. 3D MVC content can always be displayed in 2D without any re encode or complicated settings. This is not the case with Half Side by Side or other 3D content types.

Read the whole post and I believe you'll get an answer to your question ..

Edited by Rafi1001

• 1 month later...
dark_slayer

Wouldn't tagging a 3d MVC file as full top and bottom or full side by side would be an incorrect tag. They should add a tag called MVC3D or just MVC as a 3d tag

+2 on the need for an MVC 3D tag MB server

Currently there is still no way to correctly tag these. This can be loaded from Media_Info automatically as well

dark_slayer

I believe the fields from media info where this could be determined by are titled "MultiView_Count" and "MultiView_Layout"

Edited by dark_slayer

• 2 weeks later...
dark_slayer

Bluray 3D has been standardized and is always in MVC format or it cannot be sold as "Bluray 3d". Therefore, MVC content is always in the same format and does not need an extra flag telling a player that it is 3D and how to play the content

I would like the tag, because for one there would be a correct way to tag MVC 3D

The other reason is that I have a separate list that I'm currently maintaining to remember which of my titles are MVC. The server could just pick up this tag from the media_info fields I listed above, and I'd rather not have to maintain a separate list to remember which of my files are 3D MVC

dark_slayer

Bluray MVC 3D content is not listed as one of the modes above. The reason for this is it is not needed. Bluray 3D has been standardized and is always in MVC format or it cannot be sold as "Bluray 3d". Therefore, MVC content is always in the same format and does not need an extra flag telling a player that it is 3D and how to play the content.

Finally getting around to reading this line closely . . .  and your conclusion doesn't make sense in every scenario. For example, my gaming HTPC runs XBMC with Stereoscopic player configured as an external launcher. When I playback a 3D MVC title it simply displays the left eye @1080p (as you already know). As I've stated in a few different places now, I'm all for having a tag that indicates "3D MVC" on the server, and I did like the image one mockup you did where "BluRay 3D" was included in some fashion. I'd really like to see this become an option for me to sort 3D on my server without creating some separate top-level folder. Like other's said I prefer launching those videos in 2D-1080p over 99% of the time, but it's nice to know which ones are worth launching with the external stereoscopic player (manually selecting external player is a cinch, remembering which titles should be launched is not)

You need a 3D player too (TMT, Stereoscopic, PowerDVD13 etc) as a normal video player like WMC, or VLC, or XBMC won't work.

Also for current reference, there are standalone DLNA players made by some forget-their-name brand that will play 3D MVC MKV files correctly

TMT and PDVD do not (afaik) - they merely play the left eye @1080p and will of course do the 3D conversion if you force them (but will not yet handle MVC inside an MKV container ~ of course they work with iso and the original disc). At this point only stereoscopic player handles this, and it's one of the two issues (along with quicksync accelerated decoding) that ffmpeg more or less tells people to "go fly a kite" or "submit their own patch" about (which essentially means it can't be said when it will make it's way to any other sources until some GSOC student or comp-sci thesis/dissertation is completed providing this to ffmpeg)

jhoff80

I would like the tag, because for one there would be a correct way to tag MVC 3D

The other reason is that I have a separate list that I'm currently maintaining to remember which of my titles are MVC. The server could just pick up this tag from the media_info fields I listed above, and I'd rather not have to maintain a separate list to remember which of my files are 3D MVC

What I personally do to keep track of this is add a custom genre to these movies (just called '3D' as I don't have any SBS or Over/Under 3D content).

dark_slayer

What I personally do to keep track of this is add a custom genre to these movies (just called '3D' as I don't have any SBS or Over/Under 3D content).

Yeah, I had more or less thought that would be better than my separate list (txt) when I was typing :-)

However, I certainly see that as a workaround and I still have to do that manually of course. I like how automated mb server is, and the MVC tag should be identifiable from media info (which I think the server already uses)

smoke14me

Like some others I have 3D and 2D separate files and have a thought.  Is it possible (or could it be) to rename the "specials" button?  If I make a folder inside a movie folder label it specials and put a 2D mkv inside then rename the button to say anything you want, "play 2d version" etc.  that would work to help handle both copies.

• 1 month later...
Rafi1001

@ebr, @Luke

First thing, thank you for allows backdrops to rotate during theme music playback.

Remains only to take care the 3D feature and MediaBrowser software will be perfect for me!

Because you supported me with the requests, I donated another $ 15 as a tribute to you.

@ebr, @Luke

• 1 month later...
Rafi1001

@ebr, @Luke

@ebr, @Luke