3D Blu-Ray Movies in MediaBrowser & Feature Request

Rafi1001

Rafi1001

Currently there is no efficient solution, if any, to the 3D contents in MediaBrowser...

Before that, I will share with you what I know so far ..

The obvious question, how do I convert my Bluray 3D ISO movies to MKV container whilst keeping the full resolution 3D, and which player plays it as 3D?

The difference between MK3D and the H.264 MVC 3D codec

MK3D is for older types of 3D content which can be displayed a number of different ways. It is basically a normal MKV file which has an additional flag added that indicates how the 3D content is to be displayed. They call it StereoMode flag.

http://www.matroska.org/technical/specs/index.html

Stereo-3D video mode:

0: mono

1: side by side (left eye is first)

2: top-bottom (right eye is first)

3: top-bottom (left eye is first)

4: checkboard (right is first)

5: checkboard (left is first)

6: row interleaved (right is first)

7: row interleaved (left is first)

8: column interleaved (right is first)

9: column interleaved (left is first)

10: anaglyph (cyan/red)

11: side by side (right eye is first)

12: anaglyph (green/magenta)

13 both eyes laced in one Block (left eye is first)

14 both eyes laced in one Block (right eye is first))

Bluray MVC 3D content is not listed as one of the modes above. The reason for this is it is not needed. Bluray 3D has been standardized and is always in MVC format or it cannot be sold as "Bluray 3d". Therefore, MVC content is always in the same format and does not need an extra flag telling a player that it is 3D and how to play the content.

The reason they have standardized on MVC is because it is 100% backward compatible with 2D. 3D MVC content can always be displayed in 2D without any re encode or complicated settings. This is not the case with Side by Side or other 3D content types.

MakeMKV leaves 3D content in the MVC source format straight from the blu ray without any re encoding! Full quality 1080p for each eye! It just raps the video and audio data into a MKV container neatly and quickly.

MakeMKV is PC or MAC software that will extract 2D or 3D BD to MKV format without any Video or Audio loss of quality, which besides using ISO's is the only way to get true 1080P 3D.

• Zero loss in Quality Full 1920 x 1080 image - Full HD Audio
  • 3D MVC in MKV container is easier to stream on a network and you should be able to stream most if not all 3D files
  • File size of the MKV will be smaller than the ISO as you only keep the Playlist, Subs and Audio tracks that you need.
  • Subtitles are supported and you can add your own SRT if required.
You can download MakeMKV from: http://www.makemkv.com

You need a 3D player too (TMT, Stereoscopic, PowerDVD13 etc) as a normal video player like WMC, or VLC, or XBMC won't work.

As for Media browser

I appeal to administrators and developers,

We want to be able to launch a 3D external player only on 3D movies.

For now there is no way to differentiate between a 3D MKV's and the 2D ones.

So that means either being able to launch a 3D capable player on an entire exclusive library (like a category or media collection of only 3D) - Feature does not exist

or being able to set it on just certain types (like only 3D MKV or 3D ISO) - Feature exists

If we take the concept a step further:

• Add to the menu button "Play on 3D" as shown in the attached picture 1.
  • On Media browser server > Metadata Manager. Add the option, at any Media folder, Choose whether to be played by the external player or not, According to this pattern: (as shown in the attached picture 2.)
3D movie (default off) - The idea, view/not 3D button on the menu as shown in the first picture

3D on external player – on: 3D button play the movie on external player off: play on WMC

2D on external player – on: 2D button play the movie on external player off: play on WMC

pic 1:

53a4d3210bbaf_Untitled1.jpg

pic 2:

53a4d3915ede1_Untitled4.jpg

Edited by Rafi1001
  • Like 4

there's already a field in the editor to identify as 3D, and MBT has external player settings for 3D. So it sounds like you're just looking for some new MBC launching settings.

• Like 1

Rafi1001

Wow the response was very quick thanks.

As I mentioned above, MVC content is 100% backward compatible with 2D. 3D MVC content can always be displayed in 2D without any re encode or complicated settings.

I think is right to add the option to play the movie with the internal player for 2D and external for 3D According to the description above.

jhoff80

Yeah, I'd love an option to choose between 2D (internal player) and 3D (external / Stereoscopic Player) too.

Rafi1001

By the way, for anyone who uses Stereoscopic Player as an external player, to set up an automatic full screen viewing etc. ..

Go into the Media Browser Configurator Classic

In External Player tab, write the following code in the arguments field: -file:{0} -fss -termend

for More explanation: http://www.3dtv.at/Products/Player/CmdLineParams_en.aspx

• Like 1

jhoff80

there's already a field in the editor to identify as 3D, and MBT has external player settings for 3D. So it sounds like you're just looking for some new MBC launching settings.

Only Full or Half Top/Bottom and Side-By-Side, though.  3D MVC isn't any of those four.

Rafi1001

@@ebr, @@Luke?

What you think about it?
an option to choose between 2D (internal player) and 3D (external / Stereoscopic Player) ..
post-4209-0-02597400-1404105378_thumb.jpg

Every 3D mvc movie size at least 30Gb.
Currently, I have a double copy for any movie in 3D format. One as 2D and one tagged as 3D.
Total for movie at least 60Gb.

Edited by Rafi1001
  • Like 1

This would only work with full MVC 3D right?

If so, we'd need the server to recognize and tell us it is that format.  I'm not sure we ever got that designation in there.

Rafi1001

@@ebr - The server doesn't need to recognize full MVC 3D format.

Personally I use full MVC 3D, and I run it with an external player (Stereoscopic Player).

I'm tagging the film in the editor as 3D format, and set the external player run only 3D content.

In this situation, I forced to produce a duplicate for each movie, one for 2D (Not tagged as 3D Movie) and one for 3D (tagged  as 3D Movie). It takes at least a 60 GB on hard disk space!

As I mentioned above full MVC 3D is 100% backward compatible with 2D

To become more efficient, and make MediaBrowser the first with the ability to play from the menu 2D movies and 3D movies (from the same file) without getting into the complexity of understanding the formats as you mentioned ..

What I suggest, as I described in the attached picture (edited with Photoshop), is to add a button (3D), Which will automatically starts the film as 3D movie from an external player (Stereoscopic Player).

View as 2D movie will continue to operate normally from the Main button (triangle) with the internal player.

53b30a0e3d0af_53a4d3210bbaf_Untitled1.jp

Edited by Rafi1001

Rafi1001

@@ebr

Everything has a solution ..

I am still of the opinion that the server doesn't need to recognize full MVC 3D format.

As for the dilemma you described, here we use the tagging option in the editor.

I'll explain ..

Tagging options are:

HSBS - For other 3D formats that are not backward compatible

HTAB - For other 3D formats that are not backward compatible

FSBS - The only format used is full MVC 3D (see quote)

FTAB - The only format used is full MVC 3D (see quote)

Bluray 3D has been standardized and is always in MVC format or it cannot be sold as "Bluray 3d". Therefore, MVC content is always in the same format and does not need an extra flag telling a player that it is 3D and how to play the content.

The reason they have standardized on MVC is because it is 100% backward compatible with 2D. 3D MVC content can always be displayed in 2D without any re encode or complicated settings. This is not the case with Side by Side or other 3D content types.

Assuming you want to avoid adding a 3D button

Tagging movie as FSBS/FTAB:

Click Play (triangle button) will open a message box (with a nice GUI) with two options:

2D - activates the internal player

3D - activates the external player (Stereoscopic Player).

Tagging movie as HSBS/HTAB:

Click Play (triangle button) will automatically activates the external player (Stereoscopic Player) - Without the 2D option (Without message box) .

Assuming you want to adding a 3D button

Tagging movie as FSBS/FTAB:

Click 2D (triangle) - activates the internal player

Click 3D - activates the external player (Stereoscopic Player).

Tagging movie as HSBS/HTAB:

Click 2D (triangle) - activates the external player (Stereoscopic Player).

3D button - Disabled (hidden)

Edited by Rafi1001
  • Like 1

As I mentioned above full MVC 3D is 100% backward compatible with 2D

This implies that the other 3D formats are not backward compatible.  Therefore, the only way we should provide this functionality is if it is MVC 3D.

MBC recognizes the different types of 3D, not just 3D overall.  We'd need to have logic that checks to see if it is MVC and then provide the dual playback option.

Although, making it another button in the interface is not a good idea both for clutter reasons and the fact that every single theme would have to do it.

tman

I'm having trouble finding anything that will play 3D MKV's created with MakeMKV. MPC-HC just plays the 2D image, and TMT3 or TMT5 won't play them in 3D at all (but TMT will play 3D movies in ISO mode - but after what's been discussed here, that kinda makes sense now). I've heard of the 'Steroscopic Player', but while I don't mind paying for good software, it's not cheap. Does it work well? Is it reliable?

I do agree though, having discreet control over 2D/3D playback within MBC/MBT would be a real good feature!

• Like 1

Vidman

In my opinion it should be a "play in 2d" button...ie for 3d movies the default should be to play in 3d (pass to external 3d player).... With the option to play the movie in 2d added which would play full MVC 3d movies in 2d and the HSBS/HTAB transcoded to 2d in the internal player

A8HTPC

I'm having trouble finding anything that will play 3D MKV's created with MakeMKV. MPC-HC just plays the 2D image, and TMT3 or TMT5 won't play them in 3D at all (but TMT will play 3D movies in ISO mode - but after what's been discussed here, that kinda makes sense now). I've heard of the 'Steroscopic Player', but while I don't mind paying for good software, it's not cheap. Does it work well? Is it reliable?

I do agree though, having discreet control over 2D/3D playback within MBC/MBT would be a real good feature!

PowerDVD 13 ultra plays 3D very well. They have a new ver14 out now. Im guessing its just as good. 

Edited by A8HTPC

Rafi1001

@ebr, @Luke

First thing, thank you for allows backdrops to rotate during theme music playback.

Remains only to take care the 3D feature and MediaBrowser software will be perfect for me!

Because you supported me with the requests, I donated another $ 15 as a tribute to you.

Edited by Rafi1001
  • Like 1

barrettuk

I'm also looking for a solution to this and trying to find out what the best external player would be and how to set it up, sounds like stereoscopic player works the best?

jhoff80

As far as I know, Stereoscopic Player is the only software player that works with MVC content in MKV.

barrettuk

So anyone using this solution that can comment on how well it works, guessing pq is as good as using any other player etc. what if any compromises will there be other than storage space? Right now I am thinking I would have a separate movie lib for my 3d movies and use the MK3D extension on the file to associate with the stereoscopic player. I am already using and external player for everything else in MBC 

jhoff80

Well, for me there's only one 3DTV in my setup, and that's the one directly connected to the computer.  I also only rarely watch the movies in 3D.

So, what I do is rip the movies once in 3D / MVC MKV.  It's basically just a remux of the ~30GB files on disc.  That gets added to MB3 to play in 2D, the way it'll be played the majority of the time.

Then, if I want to play one of these movies in 3D, I manually open Stereoscopic Player with a mini wireless keyboard with trackpad, and just select that same MVC MKV that way.

Mazter Jedi

Sorry if I am beating a dead horse here...I too would like to find a solution for viewing 3D content, but my main viewing device isnt a PC, I use a Roku 3 (which works great). I have the Roku and my MB Server both on a gigabit network, so I would think there would be plenty of bandwith there. I have kept all of my 3D movies as ISO's on the server. Would not being able to watch 3D be a limitation of the Roku? I know with a PC you can mount the image and use PowerDVD or the likes to watch 3D, is it possible for anything but a PC to be able to bring in 3D?