Raspberry Pi Streaming Box

Lighthammer

Lighthammer

I'm considering trying to ditch Chromecasts to move towards a Raspberry Pi type streaming box.

I wanted to see if anyone has any experience with this and what recommendations you might make for this setup.

I was hoping it would be easy in terms of grabbing a Linux arm distro and then throwing an emby viewer on it but it doesn't seem that straight forward.

Thanks for any advice you have in advance!

mastrmind11

I'm considering trying to ditch Chromecasts to move towards a Raspberry Pi type streaming box.

I wanted to see if anyone has any experience with this and what recommendations you might make for this setup.

I was hoping it would be easy in terms of grabbing a Linux arm distro and then throwing an emby viewer on it but it doesn't seem that straight forward.

Thanks for any advice you have in advance!

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/42868-emby-theater-for-linux/

Lighthammer

So, I guess the next question is --- does this distro allow for other media streaming apps (IE Netflix) ?

I'm kind of out of my element on this.

Ultimately, I want to be able to build a media player that doesn't have all the "spyware" in it that something like a Chromecast, Roku or Apple TV ultimately do.

By its nature, I know Linux can use a VPN. A setup that can use a VPN too interests me as well.