30 second skip ahead?

bcm00re

bcm00re

It seems like in Roku I only get a 10 second skip ahead (on arrow-right) when using Emby, and there is no way to change that. Is that true? If so, are there any plans to allow the use to change that value (to say 30 seconds)?

Hi.  Playback seeking on the Roku is controlled by the Roku player at this time.  We may look to customize it in the future but have not so far.  The Roku actually provides fairly rich seeking functionality, complete with visual thumbs.

bcm00re

I'm not getting those visual thumbnails with Emby, but I do get them with my SlingTV app -- and have been really wishing Emby could do that too!

I'm not getting those visual thumbnails with Emby, but I do get them with my SlingTV app -- and have been really wishing Emby could do that too!

Hi.  You need to enable the thumbnail creation in your server library settings.

bcm00re

I will try that tonight -- thank again! I probably didn't realize what that option truly does.

Edited by bcm00re

This doesn't work for TS containers, right? That is what I appear to be seeing.

It should, why not?

bcm00re

I was just speculating because I ran it on my TV library (forcing it to do it on a sync) and it didn't create any .BIF files at all. Then I copied over a .M4V file, and then it created one for it.

bcm00re

Oh wait, I think I see what is going on now.  It only does it for new recordings that are actually found during a Library Sync.  I thought the sync would make it happen for any existing file that didn't have one.  Is there any way to make it occur for older recordings?

Oh wait, I think I see what is going on now.  It only does it for new recordings that are actually found during a Library Sync.  I thought the sync would make it happen for any existing file that didn't have one.  Is there any way to make it occur for older recordings?

It's in your control based on how you configured the library settings.

bcm00re

It's in your control based on how you configured the library settings.

I tried that setting that says to do it on library scan, but after doing the scan it didn't create any BIF files except for the recordings I was Converting and the one that recorded that evening (a scheduled one).  But then the next morning I saw 280 new BIF files.  So it seems the on-library-sync setting has issues.  That said, I can wait a few nights for it to get through my library since it seems to be doing new shows as they get added.

EDIT: that settings actually says , "thumbnail images will be created when videos are imported during the library scan" so it only does it for new videos that the scan finds and not existing ones -- at least that's how it seemed to work for me.  If that is the intent then it is working as designed.

Edited by bcm00re

EDIT: that settings actually says , "thumbnail images will be created when videos are imported during the library scan" so it only does it for new videos that the scan finds and not existing ones -- at least that's how it seemed to work for me.  If that is the intent then it is working as designed.

Correct.  The setting does not have issues.  It is doing just what it says it will there.  If we created thumbs for all of your items during a library scan, the scan would take way too long.  They have to be created in a background operation over time so this is how it is setup.

Once all your current content has them, then it will just create them as needed when new content comes in.

• 1 year later...
bcm00re
On 1/23/2020 at 9:53 AM, ebr said:

Hi.  Playback seeking on the Roku is controlled by the Roku player at this time.  We may look to customize it in the future but have not so far.  The Roku actually provides fairly rich seeking functionality, complete with visual thumbs.

Any chance this has been looked into?  I do have the visual thumbs now, but I don't get them when seeking through the live buffer (and I understand why).  So it sure would be nice to have a 30-sec skip ahead.  For the record, I am good leaving the skip back at 10 seconds.

5 hours ago, arecad98 said:

Is there any plan to move to a different player to allow for more options for playback?

On the Roku? That's not possible. Roku apps are not able to do that.

bcm00re
13 hours ago, Luke said:

On the Roku? That's not possible. Roku apps are not able to do that.

I just confirmed that SlingTV on Roku skips ahead 30 seconds and skips back 10 seconds.  So this would appear possible for Emby on Roku.

Edited by bcm00re

13 hours ago, bcm00re said:

I just confirmed that SlingTV on Roku skips ahead 30 seconds and skips back 10 seconds.  So this would appear possible for Emby on Roku.

Hi.  What he was responding to with "not able to do that" was use a different player.  It is possible to completely re-write some of the interaction with the player, but we have not done that as we use the standard controls.  It isn't something we can do part way.  We would have to re-write all the interactions to implement different behaviors.