Have to log in to Emby each time

gatkin

emjimmy

Emby server running native on Mac.  Logging in on the emby on the Apple TV with username/password and not using the Emby link.  The last 3 days, I've had to log in each time when I start up emby.  Each time within 24 hours of the last.  Latest version of Mac, EMby server and Apple TV client, if this all helps.

Thanks.

stingray06

I also have this problem - have to login with pin most times i open Emby on apple tv 4k, then i have to reset my video quality settings etc. 

Any idea why this is happening?

• 2 weeks later...
thecorster81

Same thing has been happening to me for many weeks. Every time I launch Emby app on AppleTV (both of my AppleTVs) it asks me to connect! So annoying!! I don’t understand what is taking so long for this to get fixed!

Edited by thecorster81

bguscott

Following up - seems to be an issue with the tvOS app. With no changes to the docker container I’ve had to login twice to the iOS app within the same day. 

I’m using the latest client (1.7.4) and have had to re-login both when using Emby connect and logging in directly to the local Emby server. Seems like the tvOS app’s data keeps getting cleared.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

harrv
16 hours ago, bguscott said:

Following up - seems to be an issue with the tvOS app. With no changes to the docker container I’ve had to login twice to the iOS app within the same day. 

I’m using the latest client (1.7.4) and have had to re-login both when using Emby connect and logging in directly to the local Emby server. Seems like the tvOS app’s data keeps getting cleared.

To add to this, not having access to the client code it's hard to know for sure, but it seems like the Emby app on Apple TV likely stores/caches the server connection details locally on the Apple TV device itself, and then expects to be able to retrieve it later.

Apple makes it clear at this URL that technique is not guaranteed to work. Data stored locally on the device could be cleared at any time. If you want persistent data storage, you have to use the user's AppleID-associated iCloud storage. Simple key-value pair type of storage to store config type info can be done using iCloud KVS, and seems that is what the Emby client should be doing if it's not already.

Sorry if that's already obvious to the developers. Just trying to help.

Natelanxon

Hello just flagging this is happening to one family member on their Apple TV. All apps and OS up to date. Weirdly three other family members with other Apple TVs (myself included) don’t have the issue. I’ll monitor this thread in case anyone has tips. 

I think we've got this resolved for the next update to the Emby Apple TV app. Thanks guys.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
EmbyOak

What was the issue if you don’t mind me asking?

I just got home from being away for 2 weeks. My main ATV is a second Gen 4k, it did not (and has not) lose its settings. 

my gym one did lose its setting (4th Gen). This weekend I was at a friend’s cottage where I had set him up. He had not used it in months, it had not lost its settings (a 4th Gen AppleTV). 

my cottage AppleTV is a first Gen 4k and it loses its settings after a week or so of inactivity. 

im thinking this issue is more of a setting issue, I’m just not sure which setting yet  

Natelanxon

I have (regrettably) advised my affected family member to use Infuse on her ATV, as she can connect to Emby through that and watch most of the content. Ideally I can move her back to the main Emby app if and when the issue is resolved. 

13 hours ago, EmbyOak said:

What was the issue if you don’t mind me asking?

I just got home from being away for 2 weeks. My main ATV is a second Gen 4k, it did not (and has not) lose its settings. 

my gym one did lose its setting (4th Gen). This weekend I was at a friend’s cottage where I had set him up. He had not used it in months, it had not lost its settings (a 4th Gen AppleTV). 

my cottage AppleTV is a first Gen 4k and it loses its settings after a week or so of inactivity. 

im thinking this issue is more of a setting issue, I’m just not sure which setting yet  

The app was storing it's data in a place where the tvOS system may wipe it out at any point in time, so we had to move it elsewhere.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, stingray06 said:

When is this update being deployed? Had to login again this afternoon.

It's version 1.7.5 that went out yesterday.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

harrv
On 8/1/2023 at 4:57 PM, Luke said:

It's version 1.7.5 that went out yesterday.

My Apple TV user reports the new version fixes the problem for him! Thank you!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1