Web Browser Viewing

centuryx476

centuryx476

Hello,

I have started ripping my collection. But as a test I wanted to see how the server will handle the playing of a movie.
I ripped a standard blu ray to

Container: .mp4

Bitrate: 8.6 Mbps

Video Codec: H264

Audio Codec: AC3 @ 640 kbps

Audio channels: 6

Sample Rate: 48000 Hz

When I play the movie via my web browser the CPU jumps to 50% +/-

I checked the logs and it appears to be transcoding the audio of the movie. This only happens when I watch the movie via a web browser. If I watch the movie via Roku or my phone app then the CPU hovers around 1% to 2% usage which is what is expected.

I thought AC3 is a pretty standard codec ? why is it being transcoded for web browser viewing ?

What is the recommended Audio Codec to use then for emby ?

Mind you I value my audio quality

Thank You

Edited by centuryx476

rechigo

I thought AC3 is a pretty standard codec ? why is it being transcoded for web browser viewing ?

Thank You

AC3 isn't supported in basically any browser nowadays due to licensing. I would recommend shooting for AAC as the majority of browsers can play back AAC directly

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Edited by rechigo

Actually Microsoft Edge on Windows supports AC3, but it appears to be Windows only, not Edge on other platforms.

rechigo

Actually Microsoft Edge on Windows supports AC3, but it appears to be Windows only, not Edge on other platforms.

I remember the old Edge supported AC3, but does the new Chromium based one support it? I haven't checked my stats for nerds before to see if it direct streams

centuryx476

Wow, I seem to be a little behind and I didn't know that AC3 was not generally supported in web browsers.

For some reason I was under the impression that AC3 was the more advance and proper audio codec. But it seems not,

So for emby, the best settings is

Audio Codec: AAC

Thank You

Edited by centuryx476

Wow, I seem to be a little behind and I didn't know that AC3 was not generally supported in web browsers.

For some reason I was under the impression that AC3 was the more advance and proper audio codec. But it seems not,

So for emby, the best settings is

Audio Codec: AAC

Thank You

It costs money to license so most browser vendors don't want to pay for that. Microsoft only did because they were looking for ways to create more interest in Edge when it first launched.

centuryx476

I'm going to encode it again this time with AAC.

I'm sure this will 100% fix the issue.

The encode will be done in about an hour.

Also, thank you all for this wonderful info on AC3 license info that I totally should of looked up before posting....

Thank You again

Edited by centuryx476

rechigo

I'm going to encode it again this time with AAC.

I'm sure this will 100% fix the issue.

The encode will be done in about an hour

Thank You

You shouldn't have to reencode the whole file just to change the audio codec. You could use FFmpeg to remux it or even the Emby convert feature with the right settings, that way you're only reencoding the audio

Edited by rechigo

centuryx476

Our media conversion feature can help with this. Just select the mobile profile.

Dang, I'm still learning Emby. I did not even know this...

Let me look into it

Thanks

Happy2Play

You can go to html5test.com to see what your browser supports.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
rechigo

Okay,  in the dev branch at least, it appears microsoft brought back support for AC3 (Dolby digital). This might make this browser the preferred web client as it should be able to direct play most common formats.