Multiple Emby Servers with the same source library

adminExitium

adminExitium

I am planning to run both a production & a test Emby server pointing to the same source for their libraries. However, I want only the production to update the nfo metadata in the respective media folders and the test server to only read them since I don't want to make all the changes twice.

I did find this topic while searching: https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/26375-can-i-have-2-emby-servers-both-accessing-the-same-media-library/ but its a little old and I just wanted to confirm the changes to be done on the test server to prevent any writes and only read the nfo files.

Changes required:

* Disable the NFO option in the Metadata Savers section

* Disable the "Save artwork into media folders" option

However, I believe this will still download the metadata but store it in the DB instead? Is there any way to avoid that too and just read the NFO and the already downloaded artwork, posters etc. (already downloaded by the production folder alongside the media) for any metadata?

Is there any way to avoid that too and just read the NFO and the already downloaded artwork, posters etc. 

Hi, yes you can disable internet metadata providers for each library.

adminExitium

Excellent, thanks. Does this mean that NFOs are always read irrespective of whether any metadata downloader is enabled or not? Does this mean that I can also uninstall the respective plugins or will that have an adverse effect on the normal functionality of the server?

Yes, the NFOs are read and, if they exist, they take priority over any online provider.

I run both a production and development server off largely the same media.  The key is just to be sure and disable the saving on the server that you want to be the "slave" (and just read existing info).