Random sort but not random play

Gilgamesh_48

Gilgamesh_48

I sometimes enter my movie library with the desire to watch a movie but no real idea about what movie I would like to watch.

Currently I can browse from a-z or z-a or by date added or by genre or by date released or maybe a few other choices but that means I am limited to seeing my movies in just a few orders and I see the same movies first in each sort every time.

While that may seem like a good variety it really limits browsing and also means that some movies are always late in the browse.

I have a library of well over 3000 movies and it sometimes takes a long time to find a movie to watch.

What I would like to have is the option to present the movies in a random order that is different each time I browse. That way movies that I usually do not get to browse might show up earlier.

I do NOT want random play I just want to be able to choose to browse my movies in a random order.

I would really like this on the Roku client but I believe if it were implemented at the server then it would be easier for the clients to implement it.

Edited by Gilgamesh_48
  • Like 13

• 4 weeks later...

I wanted to post such a suggestion, and I see this message :)

My version of the suggestion would be the following one :

- On the dashboard, you have a “Random options” section, where you select the folders you want to be included ; and if you want to include all the movies or only the one marked as unwatched

- I had the idea of picking the # of movies proposed randomly (5 for example), also chosen on the dashboard ; but having all of them in a random order can be interesting too.

It could also be among the collections, called the “Random collection”, with the same parameters as above, changing everytime we log, or once every day (or at predetermined intervals, like some scheduled tasks).

I know I can be old school sometimes, but it often happens that I want to watch a movie on Emby and spend so much time browsing that... it's too late to start a movie ! And then I think, “the advantage of TV, is that you have to pick one of the movies broadcasted at the time you watch... having pre-made picks on Emby could do it too.”

And like Gilgamesh_48, I watch my movies on Roku (my girlfriend even calls the Roku remote the “Emby remote”), thus if it has to be done client-by-client, I hope it will be on Roku first :) 

Silentalero

Agree with this thread 100%

2000+ movies, i would love it if there was a suggestion option to pick random movies (maybe have it rotate weekly).

Considering, making a server is one thing, but access is the key to enjoying it.

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...
GrimReaper

I know it ain't what the OP was requesting, but excellent VirtualTV plugin might be some mid-term solution for those interested, until some things from this thread get developed? 

Edit:

Edited by GrimReaper76
Link

• 1 year later...
bonaminGR

Hello guys. Wanted to post this as well but a quick search brought me here.
It's a Minor problem, but when you got a big library, it becomes a bigger problem. 

Sorting by the default methods, most likely makes you "deny" the same movies until you reach one you actually wanna watch. 
For example if I sort by "Runtime" I have to either skip all my 3+ hour movies, or my 45 minute short films first. :D 
Or if you short by "Rating" you get the masterpieces, or the junk first. 

Arguably, you can use filters, but still...!
A Random short, would be SUPER helpful for folks who wanna watch something, but didn't make up their minds yet !

❤️ Please make this happen !!!  ❤️  

gillmacca01

Have you looked at the plugin 'Smartplaylist'. This may be able to do what you are looking for

bonaminGR
On 14/04/2022 at 22:39, gillmacca01 said:

Have you looked at the plugin 'Smartplaylist'. This may be able to do what you are looking for

Just checked it out. Will most likely be a workaround for the time being, but I'd like to see this implemented in the default sorting methods as well. 
When I use a "Playlist" with "Smartplaylist" its kinda laggy. I must use a "Collection". 
My collection is about 2.5K movies so the list gets pretty big.

But still, not as refined as being built-in. 

THANK YOU though for suggesting this. 

• 4 weeks later...
dannymichel
On 1/26/2020 at 12:22 PM, Luke said:

Hi there, moving to feature requests. Thanks.

i suppose the feature request is denied since this is a 2 year old feature request?

dannymichel
Just now, ebr said:

Hi.  No, it is not denied but it only has 6 likes.

I'm not saying emby should have everything plex or kodi has but this has been available on plex/kodi since around 2020. seems like an obvious thing to implement. hate to be *that guy*

dannymichel

Please consider this though. It's the only thing stopping my girlfriend and i from switching from plex. The 'watch together' thing would be nice, but this is essential.

• 2 weeks later...
dannymichel
On 4/26/2020 at 3:31 PM, Luke said:

We are looking into improving this. Thanks for the feedback.

What do you mean by *improving this*? Do you mean another solution or that random sorting is in the works?

• 4 months later...
bonaminGR

Hello !! Any update on this ? 

This is such a small thing to add, and would make such a huge difference for some of us. :(

• Like 1

dannymichel
17 minutes ago, bonaminGR said:

This is such a small thing to add, and would make such a huge difference for some of us. :(

Dude I added it to Jellyfin myself with like three lines of code

dannymichel
18 minutes ago, bonaminGR said:

And yes, it is literally the only thing preventing me and my cousin from using Emby 

bonaminGR
On 01/10/2022 at 15:57, dannymichel said:

Dude I added it to Jellyfin myself with like three lines of code

I am not THAT familiar with coding to know how easy it is to implement, and I definitely don't know if it would break something. 

But if you suggest that it's as easy as 3 lines of code, I really don't know why the dev team isn't adding this ? 

CHANGING the way something works, should always be discussed and evaluated. As some people might not like it. 
But ADDING a sorting option can't ever be a problem. 

I am not going to switch to Jellyfin, or Plex, since I already set up my shit here, with a premiere acc as well. :D I like it, it works, looks good, and I generally don't have problems. 
But having a gigantic library, makes me wish I had this option. :(  

dannymichel
34 minutes ago, bonaminGR said:

I am not THAT familiar with coding to know how easy it is to implement, and I definitely don't know if it would break something. 

But if you suggest that it's as easy as 3 lines of code, I really don't know why the dev team isn't adding this ? 

CHANGING the way something works, should always be discussed and evaluated. As some people might not like it. 

I am not going to switch to Jellyfin, or Plex, since I already set up my shit here, with a premiere acc as well. :D I like it, it works, looks good, and I generally don't have problems. 

Jellyfin is still heavily based on Emby and yes it took me three lines of code to add it to Jellyfin 

dannymichel
38 minutes ago, bonaminGR said:

And yes, exactly. Not having random sorting with a giant library makes the app useless to me. Id gladly switch and use Emby exclusively and pay for it if this were added 

6 minutes ago, dannymichel said:

Jellyfin is still heavily based on Emby and yes it took me three lines of code to add it to Jellyfin 

As it turns out, it can be added to our UI with a few lines of code because the sort order does still exist in our API, but I don't think you'd like the result. All of our lists use virtual scrolling nowadays, for performance reasons. What that means is the app only retrieves what you're looking at on-screen, and more items get pulled in as you scroll up and down.

So if each little slice is coming from a separately randomized starting point, then that means you will likely see duplicated items as you cross the boundary from one slice to the next. And voila, here is an example of what I mean:

image.png

So to solve that, we will need to design a deterministic random sorting technique where each slice can pull from the same randomized list rather than a different randomized list. Is that doable? Of course, just not in three lines of code.

• Like 1

dannymichel
1 minute ago, Luke said:

As it turns out, it can be added to our UI with a few lines of code because the sort order does still exist in our API, but I don't think you'd like the result. All of our lists use virtual scrolling nowadays, for performance reasons. What that means is the app only retrieves what you're looking at on-screen, and more items get pulled in as you scroll up and down.

So if each little slice is coming from a separately randomized starting point, then that means you will likely see duplicated items as you cross the boundary from one slice to the next. And voila, here is an example of what I mean:

image.png

So to solve that, we will need to design a deterministic random sorting technique where each slice can pull from the same randomized list rather than a different randomized list. Is that doable? Of course, just not in three lines of code.

fair enough