What does grey button on guide mean?

billvv

I am trying to record each day's episode of a news program and record one minute before and one minute after. I select 'record series', but cannot access the 'series settings' screen when using the emby app via the web. When I look at the next day's guide entry it shows a red 'double' dot.

If I log into the PC running the Emby server via a remote desktop application I can reach the 'series setting' screen and set the recording times before and after, but when I look at the next day's guide I see a grey 'double' dot which a forum post explained that it is programmed to record but can't.

I am going back and forth between the web app on my laptop and the server app via the remote desktop. Are these two methods conflicting with each other?

I am a new user and have not found a simple guide with screenshots - is there one? I am struggling to figure out what controls are 'supposed' to do.  For example, I saw a message to restart the server, but no obvious way to do it. Then I read a post that said look at the big gold button on top. I found that and discovered that the circle with a line symbol next to it let me choose whether to stop or restart.

...but when I look at the next day's guide I see a grey 'double' dot which a forum post explained that it is programmed to record but can't.

Hi.  That's not exactly correct.  It isn't that it "can't".  It is that the settings of the series recording are telling the system NOT to record that instance.  It could be because you already have it or it could be that it is a repeat and you said to only record new ones.

Are you logging into the system with the same user on both platforms?

Thanks for the clarification.

I assumed 'Repeat' meant that it was repeating the recording (i.e., a Series) - not that it already set to record and the screen or whatever transpired to get there was a duplicate request.

Same user each time.

Are there instructions for what I see on the recording pages that show the steps to record a program and a series correctly? Or Is there a switch somewhere that turns on tooltips for control icons?

Hi.  There aren't explicit instructions for each of those screens.  We strive to make the screens and controls self-explanatory.  That's not always the case though :).

The "Repeat" indicator you see is coming from your guide data and refers to the fact that the program in question has aired before.

The gray icon means that an episode is part of a series, but this particular episode is not scheduled to record. Does this answer your question?