Playback Error - No Compatible Streams are Currently Available

cgcmgr

Hello, hope you can help. 

I just noticed this error today, but not sure when it started.  Some movies play fine, others give me this error. I did a lot of Googling and have attached the Emby Server logs as well as the ffmpeg logs.  The movie I'm using as a test is the Christmas special 'Twas the Night Before Christmas.  Here's the weird thing, it plays fine on my Amazon FireTV, but fails on the Chrome browser and other browsers (Windows 10).  Other movies play fine on both while others fail on both and some that fail, such as The Account, do not generate a ffmpeg log.  

I have noticed that The Account fails in the browser (tried Chrome, Internet Explorer and Firefox) and the Fire TV, but plays fine through Kodi with the Emby plug-in (4.0.5) on my Windows 10 machine and through Kodi on my FireTV.

Getting back to 'Twas the Night Before Christmas - I use Handbrake to encode my movies to MKV files and then put them on my NAS.  Never had an issue doing this and all my movies were watchable before I believe updating to 4.3.1.0.  As a test, I ripped my DVD copy of 'Twas the Night Before Christmas and put it on my NAS as a VOB file.  It failed to play on both the FireTV and the Windows machine.  I then encoded the VOB file through Handbrake three ways - Audio selection of AC3 Passthrough, Auto Passthrough and ACC.  All three failed to play on the Windows machine and the FireTV.  What is weird is the original rip, done on 11/10/2019 and encoded through Handbrake using the Auto Passthrough setting for audio, plays fine on the FireTV, but fails on the Windows machine (as mentioned in the first paragraph).  So basically, the same movie, encoded the same way, plays fine on the FireTV so long as it was on my NAS before the 4.3.1.0 update, but then fails if added after the update.

Lastly, in the User Settings in the Media Playback Section (See attachment) - If I uncheck everything except for Allow media playback, the movies that would not play in the browser in Windows 10, now play, but without audio.  I have not tested this on the FireTV.

Just some strange things going on here.  I think it has to do with Transcoding, but what do I know?  Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Chris

embyserver.txt

ffmpeg-directstream-f15b9bcc-2804-4583-97ab-224fd37feb0d_1.txt

post-413170-0-89744400-1579547984_thumb.png

Hi there, how did you install Emby Server?

These are the steps I have always followed to Update to the Newest Version:

Stop the Emby plugin jail in FreeNAS

Open the Shell in FreeNAS

Type iocage console emby

Type pkg install libraw - Select Yes to proceed with this actionpkg - I guess this really only updates libraw and not the other dependencies.

Type pkg add -f https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Emby.Releases/releases/download/4.3.1.0/emby-server-freebsd11_4.3.1.0_amd64.txz

Type sysrc emby_server_enable="YES"

When done and I access my EmbyServer, I'm usually asked to Restart Emby, which I do and then it says Version 4.3.1.0 - Emby Server is up to date

Right before I posted the original post I decided to reinstall 4.3.1.0 thinking that the dependencies weren't updated, so I did the same as above, but right before I  called for the installation of 4.3.1.0 I ran the below.

pkg install mono libass fontconfig freetype2 fribidi gnutls iconv opus samba48 sqlite3 libtheora libva libvpx libvorbis webp libx264 x265 dav1d libzvbi libraw ImageMagick6

This didn't complete all the way through, so I did each one on its own. 

Is there a successful way to downgrade to the previous Stable version of Emby?  I don't remember what version I was on before I updated.  I'm pretty sure I updated maybe a week before Christmas or so.

Why are you doing it that way?

Not sure.  I remember the first time I ever wanted to update Emby I Googled and found instructions on how to update it.  The above instructions is what I found.  I did it that way ever since whatever version of Emby came in FreeNAS-11.2-RELEASE-U1.  Never had a problem.  Can you tell me where I can find the correct way of updating?  Do you think this will fix the issue?

So here is a way of updating that I found written by you - See attachment or below.  Is this the way to do it?

iocage console emby-server
service emby
-server stop
pkg add
-f https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Emby.Releases/releases/download/4.3.1.0/emby-server-freebsd11_4.3.1.0_amd64.txz

service emby-server start

No need to worry about dependencies?  The fact that I updated the dependencies, will that mess anything up?

Chris

post-413170-0-55027400-1579556120_thumb.png

Edited by cgcmgr

OK the manual install method that you're using is really only intended for beta testers. You can try the pgk command found here to install dependencies:

https://emby.media/freebsd-server.html

But I'm not sure that will be enough because we recently had to update dependencies based on freebsd updates and the 4.3.1 manual download doesn't have that.

I think what you will have to do is either update to the beta package which currently means 4.4.0.8.  Or you can do a new installation by installing from the FreeNas web interface and then you'll get the 4.3.1 stable release.

raudraido

I have that same error. Appeared after Emby server 4.4.0.8 beta installation. OS windows 10

Aand, it's broken. Downgrading wont resolve problem. What should I do?

Edited by raudraido

OK the manual install method that you're using is really only intended for beta testers. You can try the pgk command found here to install dependencies:

But I'm not sure that will be enough because we recently had to update dependencies based on freebsd updates and the 4.3.1 manual download doesn't have that.

I think what you will have to do is either update to the beta package which currently means 4.4.0.8.  Or you can do a new installation by installing from the FreeNas web interface and then you'll get the 4.3.1 stable release.

Ok, I'll try that.  Also, not sure if this has anything to do with it, but the attached two Windows 10 updates were installed on 1/15/2020 and once that was done my Teamviewer gave me an issue connecting so they changed something.  Wonder if the updates have anything to do with the issue I'm seeing in Emby since I only noticed the issue yesterday.

post-413170-0-75918700-1579605601_thumb.png

raudraido

I have that same error. Appeared after Emby server 4.4.0.8 beta installation. OS windows 10

Aand, it's broken. Downgrading wont resolve problem. What should I do?

All good for me. I did not notice that in the same time I installed new beta version, my media drive went offline. So, maybe in this case, error should be more accurate, like "can not find media..." or smth.

Edited by raudraido

All good for me. I did not notice that in the same time I installed new beta version, my media drive went offline. So, maybe in this case, error should be more accurate, like "can not find media..." or smth.

I doubt it's my drive going offline (can't check right now, I'm at work), because some movies play while others do not so the drive is being accessed.  Very weird.  As I said prior, I have a movie that plays on my FireTV through the Emby app, but doesn't play in any Windows browser.  I ripped the movie again and named it something else and added it to my NAS.  The movie will not play on the FireTV nor any Windows browser.  I have encoded the VOB file in three different ways and none of them will play.  Weird that the original one (ripped and encoded on 11/10/2019) plays on the FireTV but the newly ripped and encoded ones do not.

To make things even weirder, the Accountant was actually ripped and encoded in the summer and has always worked, but will not work on either the FireTV nor Windows browsers.  It's like this for some movies while other movies work fine on both.  All movies play fine on FireTV and Windows PC through Kidi with Emby Add-in.

I upgraded to the Beta and still the same error.  As far as doing a new installation, does that entail deleting the existing installation?  I just looked at available plugins and Emby shows as 4.2.1.0_1.Is there anything you can point me to that explains how to back up my metadata and art, etc.or do I have to start all over?  I do see an option to Update the plug-in in the Jail section.  Can I just try that or do I need to delete the existing plug-in?

Did you follow all of the beta instructions on our website?

Yes.  This is what I did

Install dependencies:
sudo pkg install mono libass fontconfig freetype2 fribidi gnutls iconv opus samba48 sqlite3 libtheora libva libvpx libvorbis webp libx264 x265 dav1d libzvbi libraw ImageMagick6

Install Emby Server on FreeBSD 11.2:
sysrc emby_server_enable="YES"

Also, before running the above commands, do I need to do

Stop the Emby plug-in the jail?

type iocage console emby?

and then do

Install dependencies:
sudo pkg install mono libass fontconfig freetype2 fribidi gnutls iconv opus samba48 sqlite3 libtheora libva libvpx libvorbis webp libx264 x265 dav1d libzvbi libraw ImageMagick6

Install Emby Server on FreeBSD 11.2:
sysrc emby_server_enable="YES"

It would be a good idea to stop it yes.

So that's what I did.  Initially I just stopped the Emby plug-in and then typed iocage console emby and then the pkg add -f https://....... for the freebsd11.2 version of 4.3.1.0.  Then I noticed it didn't work (more playback issues)

Then I did the same, but this time installed the dependencies (still have the playback error) and then 4.3.1.0 again

Lastly, I just installed the Beta since the dependencies were already installed

I think it's best to start over.  How can I delete the plug-in and re-install?

For install instructions I would just follow the guidelines on our website:

https://emby.media/download.html

@@MRobi As far as uninstalling or deleting.  Is it as easy as going to my Jails in FreeNas, checking the Emby Plug-In and selecting delete?

Are there any instructions to backup or save settings such as art, continue watching, watched, etc.?

One more thing.  I have attached two screen captures from my server logs.  Does this have anything to do with the issue?

post-413170-0-86246200-1579875153_thumb.jpg

post-413170-0-77158100-1579875167_thumb.jpg

Edited by cgcmgr

@@MRobi As far as uninstalling or deleting.  Is it as easy as going to my Jails in FreeNas, checking the Emby Plug-In and selecting delete?

Are there any instructions to backup or save settings such as art, continue watching, watched, etc.?

It's actually quite easy to do. 

All your config files are located in /var/db/emby-server

You can copy this folder to another location outside of the jail and restore it after a new install.

For me, I have a separate dataset for all of my jail configs that's outside of the iocage directory. I run nightly snapshots on it.

If I destroy the jail, it doesn't touch any of these files since they're located outside of the jail.

So I can do a brand new jail, and then mount the config folder into /var/db/emby-server just as I would mount the file system and a brand new install is all configured within 2 minutes or less.

It's actually quite easy to do. 

All your config files are located in /var/db/emby-server

You can copy this folder to another location outside of the jail and restore it after a new install.

For me, I have a separate dataset for all of my jail configs that's outside of the iocage directory. I run nightly snapshots on it.

If I destroy the jail, it doesn't touch any of these files since they're located outside of the jail.

So I can do a brand new jail, and then mount the config folder into /var/db/emby-server just as I would mount the file system and a brand new install is all configured within 2 minutes or less.

@@MRobi

Thanks, but I have no idea how to get to that location.  How do I navigate to that location?  Are there instructions that explain how to get there and how to save?

@@MRobi

Thanks, but I have no idea how to get to that location.  How do I navigate to that location?  Are there instructions that explain how to get there and how to save?

FreeNAS doesn't have a built-in file explorer and if you setup a windows share you usually can't navigate to the system files.

I use WinSCP to login to the server using the IP address, username and password.

From there you should be able to navigate up to the top level of your FreeNAS system and find the iocage storage folder that houses all of your jails. You'll see a jail folder for emby and then you'd go into root/var/db/emby-server

WinSCP also gives you the ability to copy that folder to your local harddrive which you could then copy back when you re-install.

I don't ever recall coming across a how-to on using WinSCP with FreeNAS, but it should be fairly simple.

Honestly, you sound very new to FreeNAS in general. I would highly recommend you make the investment in Emby Premiere which will give you access to the Server Configuration Backup. You can pick where it stores your backup files and schedule it to do nightly backups of your settings. As long as you pick a spot outside of your jail (ie create a "backups" folder in the same spot as your media folders") you should be able to reload those backups even in a brand new jail. Then all it will need to do is scan in your library and away you go.

FreeNAS doesn't have a built-in file explorer and if you setup a windows share you usually can't navigate to the system files.

I use WinSCP to login to the server using the IP address, username and password.

From there you should be able to navigate up to the top level of your FreeNAS system and find the iocage storage folder that houses all of your jails. You'll see a jail folder for emby and then you'd go into root/var/db/emby-server

WinSCP also gives you the ability to copy that folder to your local harddrive which you could then copy back when you re-install.

I don't ever recall coming across a how-to on using WinSCP with FreeNAS, but it should be fairly simple.

Honestly, you sound very new to FreeNAS in general. I would highly recommend you make the investment in Emby Premiere which will give you access to the Server Configuration Backup. You can pick where it stores your backup files and schedule it to do nightly backups of your settings. As long as you pick a spot outside of your jail (ie create a "backups" folder in the same spot as your media folders") you should be able to reload those backups even in a brand new jail. Then all it will need to do is scan in your library and away you go.

Awesome, thanks for the quick tutorial and Emby Premiere suggestion. I'll check them both out.