File Permissions

mtk143089

mtk143089

I'm having some difficulty with file/folder permissions and I need some assistance.  I am currently running emby server on my WD PR2100.   The only files I can access on Emby to generate libraries are in the public folder.  Any files under specific users on the PR2100 are not accessible, unless I set the user to "public."  What I am looking to do is access files for Emby libraries without making the files public for general network accessibility. 

I am far from a big Linux user, but I can navigate around when I have to.  I was able to SSH into my PR2100 using Putty.  Through my browsing around on the web, I found that the command "setfacl -m user:emby:rx /folder" might have been the answer to my problems.  But I only get a "/usr/bin/setfacl: line 1: syntax error: unexpected word (expecting ")")" in return.  My PR2100 is running BusyBox v1.20.2.  I was hoping someone could give me a hand.

mark-in-dallas

@@scb99, @@mark-in-dallas do you have any tips on western digital permissions?

Sorry but no.  And I could be wrong, but I've looked around the Emby backend and I don't think Emby is accessing the NAS with any user account privileges, so it would make sense that Emby doesn't have access to folders that aren't public.

Please correct me if I'm wrong and I'll try to dig around a little more, but I don't remember and couldn't find anywhere in Emby requiring NAS login credentials to be entered..

mastrmind11

I'm having some difficulty with file/folder permissions and I need some assistance.  I am currently running emby server on my WD PR2100.   The only files I can access on Emby to generate libraries are in the public folder.  Any files under specific users on the PR2100 are not accessible, unless I set the user to "public."  What I am looking to do is access files for Emby libraries without making the files public for general network accessibility. 

I am far from a big Linux user, but I can navigate around when I have to.  I was able to SSH into my PR2100 using Putty.  Through my browsing around on the web, I found that the command "setfacl -m user:emby:rx /folder" might have been the answer to my problems.  But I only get a "/usr/bin/setfacl: line 1: syntax error: unexpected word (expecting ")")" in return.  My PR2100 is running BusyBox v1.20.2.  I was hoping someone could give me a hand.

try to chmod a specific file instead of trying to update the entire ACL of the folder, see if you can get that to work.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, did you figure this out? You'll need to set the folders as public. Please let us know if this helps. Thanks !