2 years later still not hdr when transcoding or remuxing

mata7

Spaceboy

You need to read more. Baseless? They support almost nothing.

5e251a9c2bb10_Annotation20200119190956.j

boring. Do us a favour and get back to your mpv threads that no-one but you cares about

Do you honestly think people in this forum care to hear what you think?

Hands off please, from the one we all can rely on, for MPV related issues :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Guest asrequested

boring. Do us a favour and get back to your mpv threads that no-one but you cares about

I'm the only one who cares about my mpv posts? That means I can stop making them and delete all of the existing posts. I have been considering doing that, for a while.

Edited by Doofus
  • Like 2

vdatanet

Well, in fact we have HDR, but for formats supported by direct playback (MP4). The title should be: 2 years later still not h265 direct streaming!!!

Edit.- Using lastest beta

Edited by vdatanet
  • Like 1

sfatula

I'm the only one who cares about my mpv posts? That means I can stop making them and delete all of the existing posts. I have been considering doing that, for a while.

I would say that is inaccurate, I suspect lots of interest in your MPV posts.

• Like 1

sfatula

Hands off please, from the one we all can rely on, for MPV related issues :rolleyes:

I meant this forum section, where he is trolling and not having constructive useful to say. Not his other posts in other forum sections. Obviously, he has a lot of useful things to say elsewhere.

Happy2Play

Very true about the title being inaccurate as HDR has always been there when the media meets the device capabilities.

vdatanet

The problem is in the technology used by Emby to deliver streaming H265. HLS HEVC streaming requires fMP4 container (as spec). Emby uses MPEGTS. Some devices are more tolerant of these specs, but Apple TV is not. Now there is a lot of work to correct this, it is most likely will not be done. Perhaps the mistake was in the initial conception of the HLS HEVC delivery, fMP4 should have been chosen. When the specifications are not followed, sooner or later problems appear.

But talking about the past is easy, the decisions made cannot be changed.

Edited by vdatanet

vdatanet

Apple TV is intended to be a streaming device. I like its interface and provides content not available in any platform, at least in Spain. I have no other way to buy or rent a digital copy of a movie with decent quality.

But playing local media is another world. Even Apple TV is a capable device with a nice GPU, Apple makes things harder. In Android TV you just drop an MKV to Exoplayer and the job is done. In Apple TV you have to stream that content to the device making things harder, or use your own player to direct play that content. That costs money.

Even I like Apple TV I blame Apple to make things harder. If Apple wanted, they could make some changes to native player to increase direct playback, but that's not he case, on the contrary, Apple TV had audio passthrough and they removed it.

Direct playback in Apple TV requires an extra effort, that effort costs money. A company has the right to assess whether this effort is worthwhile. Some companies make the effort and other doesn't. 

Maybe I've been misunderstood. I recognize the limitations of the Apple TV device. But Emby uses the device's capabilities far below. I do not ask for direct playback for MKVs files since the device does not support it, but I ask for H265 streaming, because it's supported by the device.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi.  No, what you assumed is not completely accurate.

If your items are in Apple-friendly containers (mp4) then they will direct play with HDR (assuming everything else about them is compatible as well) in the beta version of our app.  When appropriate, we are using HLS to send streams to all of our apps already.  The only issue is the one instance of HEVC via HLS which needs to be adjusted.  All other codecs already work perfectly fine via our streaming and HLS.

• Like 1

Thanks ebr - as always you're post has been very helpful! (and based on the way you phrased it it sounds like this issue is almost behind us/you)

I would like to clarify a few things to make sure I understand 100% (and since basically all my HDR files are HEVC encoded...)

1. When I refer to the whole 'HDR not playing' issue I assume this is in reference to the colors appearing washed out/poorly mixed when viewing HDR content on an HDR TV?

(I saw posts about this a while ago, but only got my 1st HDR TV a month ago. Tried an HDR video and it was horrible - had to disable HDR which is a bit tedious to do each time...)

2. If my files are in mp4 would the HEVC/HLS issue still apply? Or is everything in an mp4 container good while an HDR HEVC encoded file in an Matroska/MKV container the odd child out? (like I said I'm a novice when it comes to media formats...)

3. Depending on the response to the previous item.... how can I sign up and get the beta app?!?! it's a matter of life or death!

I'll probably need to have my machine run through most of my library and re-encode the HDR files as I think they are MKV for the most part, but I saw a previous post from Luke where he mentioned that the File Sync plugin can be repurposed for this.

Thank you so much for your help!

For some reason VLC hasn't been working properly and I'd like to put that extra storage space to use!

vdatanet

Using native player: When we say that the HDR does not work it is not quite true, what really happens is that when Emby delivers HEVC HDR content in an MKV container, it is transcoded to H264 losing the HDR and showing washed colors. If the container is MP4, and audio and video are supported by Apple TV, playback is direct and HDR is triggered. Then you have match content, visual seek and visual chapter navigation. 

HDR playback using MPV player is horrible and HDR is not triggered.

If video and audio is supported by Apple TV you don't need to re-encode your media, you just need to repack using an MP4 container. You also need to add a video tag hvc1, otherwise your media will be transcoded:

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/81252-testing-14402/?p=829255

You can't use Emby conversion tool, because it doesn't add video tag hvc1. @@Luke Is it possible to add that tag when converting or remuxing to MP4 H265?

If you want to be a beta tester, you can send a PM to @@ebr providing him your app store mail.

Edited by vdatanet

As vdata indicated, as long as your content is truly Apple-friendly, then it should play fine with the next release of the app.

vdatanet

It's crucial to know if it's direct played/streamed(remuxed). If it's remuxed, h265 will be transcoded to h264. We need to know the remux reason, bandwidth, audio codec, subtitles? Can you post your remux log?

Edited by vdatanet

vdatanet

Regarding ATMOS, I would like to say that Apple TV is only compatible with ATMOS / EAC3, not TrueHD. This is limited to streaming services. ATMOS local content is usually TrueHD. If you need that, get an Nvidia Shield.

Oye, still getting a washed out/grainy picture with the mp4 container and the hev1 tag (once again, thank you for the link to the remux command & the TestFlight invite!).

Would you mind spelling out the details as to what this silly Apple TV wants in terms of HDR?

I did a bit of a search before hand, but wasn’t really sure what I should be looking for. Saw that it wants that hevc1 profile, which I assumed was taken care of with the added flag (unless the color profile or something I’m not very familiar needs to brought in line separately?).

The audio is eac3 & based on the search that is OK.

When I play the file there is no ffmpeg transcoding log item made & it’s direct played/streamed (don’t know the difference - think one is where the container needs to be changed, but that’s been handled so if that’s the case then it’s the other one).

I can throw up some metadata or the ffmpeg log file from when I was playing the video via my iPhone web browser.

And I will also mention that during the remux I believe there was a comment made about a sync file or something not being present for the subtitle files? Don’t remember the specifics, but it seemed to be mentioned toward the end where the subs data is if that means anything. Based on the research I did previously maybe this has something to do with it as that seems to be one of the big benefits of the whole imp4 thing, but there are also no subs being used while playing the file as an FYI.

Thanks again for the help guys!

Hopefully I won’t have the same buffering issues vdatanet was having! (And thanks for bringing up Atmos in that thread - I’m like my audio fidelity high & was very pleased with the improved surround performance I’m getting with the new TV. Guess the old one was doing a bad job at passing the files through to my receive which is too old to have 4K/HDR leaving me to use optical from the TV. Apple does it again...but don’t think it was much different when it was coming from the ATV... Regardless the much improved performance got me considering upgrading to an Atmos setup as I have plenty of nice speakers laying around. Saved some money on that front for now )

Did you go into the playback settings and disable the option to use MPV as the player?

RanmaCanada

Hi.  No, what you assumed is not completely accurate.

If your items are in Apple-friendly containers (mp4) then they will direct play with HDR (assuming everything else about them is compatible as well) in the beta version of our app.  When appropriate, we are using HLS to send streams to all of our apps already.  The only issue is the one instance of HEVC via HLS which needs to be adjusted.  All other codecs already work perfectly fine via our streaming and HLS.

And this is 100% the problem with Apple TV.  Because it doesn't understand MKV container, you can't just mux an MKV to mp4 and expect it to work, as the mp4 won't understand the metadata.  Infuse and mrmc manage this through "magic". (they don't give information on how they managed to pull it off)  Once again, Apple is forcing you to conform to "their standard" when a standard already exists.

If your video file's audio track is already AC3:

ffmpeg -i "source.mkv" \

-threads 4 \

-map 0:0 -map 0:1 \

-c:v:0 copy \

-c:a:0 copy \

-tag:v hvc1 -movflags +faststart \

"video.mp4"

If your video file needs it's audio track converted to AC3:

ffmpeg -i "source.mkv" \

-threads 4 \

-map 0:0 -map 0:1 \

-c:v:0 copy \

-c:a:0 ac3 \

-tag:v hvc1 -movflags +faststart \

"video.mp4"

I found this command on a reddit post about this very problem, from about a year ago.  It's apparently supposed to work, but as only a few of my users have apple tv's, I can not test if this works.  In the end, the user that started this reddit thread, got fed up, and just bought Infuse, as most people have done.

Using native player: When we say that the HDR does not work it is not quite true, what really happens is that when Emby delivers HEVC HDR content in an MKV container, it is transcoded to H264 losing the HDR and showing washed colors. If the container is MP4, and audio and video are supported by Apple TV, playback is direct and HDR is triggered. Then you have match content, visual seek and visual chapter navigation. 

HDR playback using MPV player is horrible and HDR is not triggered.

If video and audio is supported by Apple TV you don't need to re-encode your media, you just need to repack using an MP4 container. You also need to add a video tag hvc1, otherwise your media will be transcoded:

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/81252-testing-14402/?p=829255

You can't use Emby conversion tool, because it doesn't add video tag hvc1. @@Luke Is it possible to add that tag when converting or remuxing to MP4 H265?

If you want to be a beta tester, you can send a PM to @@ebr providing him your app store mail.

@@vdatanet In the upcoming 4.4 server release, The convert feature will now write the hvc1 codec tag when converting into an mp4 container.

vdatanet

@@vdatanet In the upcoming 4.4 server release, The convert feature will now write the hvc1 codec tag when converting into an mp4 container.

hvc1 codec tag is still missing in 4.4.0.13. Why conversion is so slow? If I convert myself using command line is 10 times faster.

ffmpeg-remux-04e7fd2e-258f-4108-ab47-8d942dfcef91_1.txt

vdatanet

Why conversion is so slow? If I convert myself using command line is 10 times faster.

Enabling full convert speed made conversion speed faster.

Edited by vdatanet

vdatanet

It will need to do a full transcode to write it.

Ok, I'll wait for a full transcode and I'll report back.