2 years later still not hdr when transcoding or remuxing

mata7

i believe apple tv 4k was released on 2017 , emby still don’t support 4K HDR without transcoding it just incredibly , im using the last beta version and every Remux 4K HDR MKV is transcoding, at the same time order’s players have no problems, it’s just mind blowing 

vdatanet
sfatula

i know all that, still 2 years and no working, thanks anyway

Yep, though this would be a smaller percentage of the home user market, but growing every year. 99% of my content is DVR and live tv. For now, if on Apple TV, I believe Infuse is the best bet as they do very well with 4k and it can play all your Emby content, just not within the single Emby app. I connect on my LAN to the same server via SMB and it works flawlessly. Just the minor hassle (to me) of a second app. So, we use Emby for DVR/livetv, and, Infuse for all our other content. It actually works even cleaner than that. We watch dvr/livetv in our living room, but movies in the theater room. So, it's really 1 app for each, Emby for lviing room, and, Infuse for theater room.

But, agree it's been a long time. Hopefully, that will change. 

Edited by sfatula
  • Like 1

vdatanet

4K HDR is a small % of my media. I can say 90% SDR versus 10% HDR. But that 10% is the newest content and it's the content I want to watch.

Edited by vdatanet
  • Like 1

lol ok so that’s the excuse and i don’t mean you, again 2 years , i don’t remember the last time i brought a movie that was no 4k there is tons of hdr stuff 

Edited by mata7
  • Like 1

RanmaCanada

Buy MRMC and use that as the issues with Apple TV and Emby appear to be endless.  No matter how much work the devs do, Apple's system of tieing everything down has apparently made it impossible.

i use mrmc and infuse thas no the problem here, i also don’t think apple system is the problem, i mean others players don’t have any problems

• Like 1

RanmaCanada

Apple has locked down everything completely.  You don't see the issues the Emby devs have with Android, with Roku.  The fact so many people are surprised there are these many problems with a company that has a lock down on their hardware stronger than Trump's fingers on his twitter account astonishes me.  Apple has never been friendly with people playing their own media, EVER.

sfatula

It's a time, resource issue, and priority issue, not a development issue. Disagree that there needs to be an issue. Plex, etc do not have the same issues. There is good and bad on every platform. Use the one most suited to your needs and biases by all means!

Edited by sfatula
  • Like 1

Apple has locked down everything completely.  You don't see the issues the Emby devs have with Android, with Roku.  The fact so many people are surprised there are these many problems with a company that has a lock down on their hardware stronger than Trump's fingers on his twitter account astonishes me.  Apple has never been friendly with people playing their own media, EVER.

yeah ok is all apple fault, happy?

• Like 1

sfatula

And I thought fanboys (of any platform) arguing for THEIR platform went out 5 years ago. Sigh.

Edited by sfatula
  • Like 2

Guest asrequested

Nothing to do with being a 'fanboy'. More like I hate crap tech made by a company that drank its own coolade but hasn't died yet, kinda boy. Crapple is closed source, which is very much the death of forward thinking in tech. Do they really think what they have is so special that they have protect it? Crapple simply is the epitome of all that is bad in consumer technology. Its about as good as fisher-price. Teddy Ruxpin could probably play more media. They don't even support matroska, for eff sake! I have a deep loathing for anything crapple. Burn, crapple, burn! :)

sfatula

Then do us all here a favor and keep your platform opinions and baseless points to yourself, lol. We'll do the same for you. You must have a lot of free time like all the political posters if you have nothing better to do than post garbage for no purpose or use. Do you honestly think people in this forum care to hear what you think?

Sounds like Dunning-Kruger effect.

Edited by sfatula
  • Like 3

Guest asrequested

Then do us all here a favor and keep your platform opinions and baseless points to yourself.

Teddy Ruxpin could probably play more media. They don't even support matroska.

You need to read more. Baseless? They support almost nothing.

5e251a9c2bb10_Annotation20200119190956.j

vdatanet
Apple TV is intended to be a streaming device. I like its interface and provides content not available in any platform, at least in Spain. I have no other way to buy or rent a digital copy of a movie with decent quality.

But playing local media is another world. Even Apple TV is a capable device with a nice GPU, Apple makes things harder. In Android TV you just drop an MKV to Exoplayer and the job is done. In Apple TV you have to stream that content to the device making things harder, or use your own player to direct play that content. That costs money.

Even I like Apple TV I blame Apple to make things harder. If Apple wanted, they could make some changes to native player to increase direct playback, but that's not he case, on the contrary, Apple TV had audio passthrough and they removed it.

Direct playback in Apple TV requires an extra effort, that effort costs money. A company has the right to assess whether this effort is worthwhile. Some companies make the effort and other doesn't. 

Edited by vdatanet

sfatula

Sorry, I was watching Passengers mkv in 3d on my Apple TV. How can that be? Well, it's called open source. The same thing that powers other platforms. The same thing they used, the same thing Plex uses, and many other products use. It's a pretty weak argument being made since said open source seems to run just fine on my Apple TVs. I know the argument will shift, now it's what is built in or whatever, but I'd rather spend time doing something FOR the product whose forum we are in. I can mock any platform, but why? Heck, always surprises me how many "open source people" actually run Windows of all things, gee, that's always been open, lol. Or Emby (is that open source)? I use (like I hope others do) the best products that work for my use cases. If someone doesn't like what I use, really don't care what they think. I will continue with the 50+ apps running on my Apple TVs as they do all of the things I need them to do. 

But I do agree about passthrough.  :) To me, that's the biggest "improvement" (ahem) that can be made. Video is one thing, but, I love audio, it makes so many movies. 

Edited by sfatula
  • Like 1

Guest asrequested

I like its interface and provides content not available in any platform, at least in Spain. I have no other way to buy or rent a digital copy of a movie with decent quality.

Well, that's different. It gives you a function you wouldn't otherwise have.

vdatanet

I was talking about the extra effort required to direct playback using Apple TV, I did not say it wasn't possible. Open source has nothing to do with developing costs. MPV is not a library that you just use in your project. You can use open source code in your project with high developing costs.

Edited by vdatanet

sfatula

I was talking about the extra effort required to direct playback using Apple TV, I did not say it wasn't possible. Open source has nothing to do with developing costs. MPV is not a library that you just use in your project. You can use open source code in your project with high developing costs.

I was not responding to you actually. However, open source has a *lot* to do with development costs. Code in binary, or, use an open source compiler? Try and store enterprise data in flat files, or, use an open source database? etc. OpenGL, or, write your own code? MPV indeed takes coding, as does most things in life. Some platforms make it a little (or even a lot) easier, agree. I've coded in open source almost as long as it has existed. In this narrow case, it does indeed take more effort if the goal is to direct play. For me, I don't really care HOW it plays, I just care if it plays! But many other things on same platform are actually easier. You win some, you lose some. The same ol tired arguments are constantly made, but seem to change positions to the polar opposite when you bring something else up. Certain platforms that shall remain nameless by me are constantly arguing it's not an advantage for IOS to have any number of built in features that they do not have, that it's no problem to simply add code to make their platform do the same. Of course, then you get to playing video and suddenly it is ok for their platform to have a player, and not ok for TVOS to not, lol. It's absurd, situational arguments with no consistency. 

The specific problem you are having could even be resolved by the server via the delivery method, as you noted has happened in a certain other product, without change to the client in question. Note that Roku is putting effort into DASH and fMP4 also, and, they also state their suggested audio is eac3 for multichannel. There are different ways to skin the cat. I just hope that either Emby comes up with a good solution, or, for the 2nd next version of Infuse to come out and then I honestly don't care what Emby does as that will be my client for Emby. Assuming they do a good job that is, which remains to be seen! Maybe I can wish for the ultimate, that they partner, lol.

Note that adaptive streaming formats are preferred IMHO. Not everyone is playing content on their own LAN. In the end, a flexible product needs to support those adaptive streaming formats for the best end user experience. 

Edited by sfatula
  • Like 1

vdatanet

The cost of using open source solutions is a very interesting topic that should be discussed in a separate thread. I say it from experience.

Not long ago I had the opportunity to participate in the decision making of the implementation of an ERP solution for a company. Two options were considered, an open source and another propietary. To meet customer requirements, the open source solution had a higher cost than the proprietary solution.

I also agree that using open source solutions, sometimes developing cost is lower.

... Open source has nothing to do with developing costs ...

This is a wrong affirmation, I meant that using open source code has a cost depending on the necessary changes we must make in order to use it for our needs.

Edited by vdatanet

vdatanet

Note that adaptive streaming formats are preferred IMHO. Not everyone is playing content on their own LAN. In the end, a flexible product needs to support those adaptive streaming formats for the best end user experience.

I think the easiest solution is to deliver content to Apple TV is using HLS fMP4, but the most featured and expensive is the MPV player. But I'm afraid we won't have either for HEVC content.  :(

Edited by vdatanet