Best software for doing local backups

rechigo

rechigo

Can anybody recommend me some good programs for automatically backing up my media locally? By locally, I mean backing up to either another drive on my server or to a mapped network drive. 

sfatula

What kind of server? Linux? Windows? Mac? other?

I back up all my media to a local HD, and then carry it to a bank Safe deposit box in case house burns down. I just do it 4 times a year, every quarter, with 2 rotating drives.

sfatula

Yep, a good thread with a lot of options. I used to upload to cloud, but, it's just too much for many TB of content. Unless you have fiber I suppose. But having 2 rotating drives is cheaper than uploading to the cloud anyway. And faster. Unless, you need or want daily backups of your media I suppose. I do have all my content on an 8 bay ZFS Raidz, but, Raid is not a backup. 

Spaceboy

Oh but if you are talking about backing up media then I would say rclone to gdrive for business. Hardly costing me anything and I’ve got 72tb up there so far. About halfway [emoji3] but I’m from the uk so upload speeds are slow

Gilgamesh_48

I use GoodSync. I backup to local disks on another computer and rotate the drives into a fireproof cabinet. For me GoodSync does what I need without complicating things too much.

I NEVER use any form of online storage because I do not trust them for either reliability or security and my upload speed is too slow to make online storage even remotely viable.

Local Hard drives are pretty cheep now and having total control of my backups is very soothing to my peace of mind.

I also use StableBit's DrivePool to mirror my files locally on the same computer but, as has been pointed out elsewhere, mirroring is NOT backup although it does protect files from loss of any single drive failure.

• Like 1

rechigo

I use GoodSync. I backup to local disks on another computer and rotate the drives into a fireproof cabinet. For me GoodSync does what I need without complicating things too much.

I NEVER use any form of online storage because I do not trust them for either reliability or security and my upload speed is too slow to make online storage even remotely viable.

Local Hard drives are pretty cheep now and having total control of my backups is very soothing to my peace of mind.

Just tried out good sync and the first impressions are great. It's simple to get it up and running and doesn't over complicate things. I'm not very found of cloud/online storage either. My upload speeds are just too damn slow.