Can I add a tv tuner card on a box somewhere else in my network as a tuner?

Michaeldjcox

Michaeldjcox

My plan A for live TV was an HDHomeRun and Emby running on my NAS where all my media is stored. 

But HDHomeRun is beginning to look dodgy the device having broken within the first few weeks of ownership.

I have a desktop PC in the house running linux mint which has a TBS 6284 quad DVB-T tuner card - part of my old SageTV solution.

I'm wondering is there a way I can make that PC look like an HDHomeRun or in some way add it as a networked tuner to EMBY?

Edited by Michaeldjcox

Q-Droid

You have a few options. I like TVHeadend and others use NextPVR and MythTV though I have no idea how well those last two work.

Personally, I'd stick with the HDHR.  I haven't heard of many problems with them and mine has been rock solid for years.

Michaeldjcox

I did have a play with TVHeadend and have it setup on the PC (more or less I can't get it to find HD channels). 

Then I added the headend plugin to EMBY expecting to see a new tuner option other than "HDHomeRun", "M2U Tuner" and "Other" but nothing appeared. 

It only seemed to create a folder called "TVHeadend recordings" whereas I guess what I was hoping for was for it to just be another set of tuners linked to the existing live TV EPG

Probably there is more setup to do

Edited by Michaeldjcox

Q-Droid

IMO avoid using the TVH plug-in. Emby can handle TVH as an m3u (IPTV) source natively.

Things go a lot smoother if you setup and test TVH using VLC to play the channel streams (playlist). It's a lot easier to troubleshoot with VLC until TVH is working for you and then add it to Emby under the Live TV tuners.

Spaceboy

Yep i go the m3u route but using dvbviewer. There are some cons but for me they exceed the pros of using the plugin. Fast start up plus full emby function mainly