Video Glitches in some Videos / Subtitle losing sync

hunesco

1. I'm trying to play a movie in x265 UHD 1080p, while on the PC the file runs normally, on the TV there are freezes in the image and the pixels are mixed when I use subtitles in .srt format. The same does not happen if I use the subtitle in .pgs format, but that way I can't do direct streaming, apparently the application or my TV (Samsung ru7100) does not support this format and needs to transcode.

2. Another problem that I noticed was that when moving the film forward or backward, with the control, the subtitle in .srt format loses sync.

Some help?

Edit: I am using the latest version of firmware of my tv and latest version of emby for tv also.

Edited by hunesco

Seneca2510

Hi,

Having the same issue with subtitles getting out of sync after skipping backward or forward since the latest (January 2020) Tizen update. It occurs both with all embedded or standalone .srt files, regardless of file type and codec. Play method is DirectStream in all cases. Exiting the movie and resuming may help a bit - until skipping backward or forward again.

The other "corrupted frames" and "skipping" issue has been present for me on some titles only (again, always with subtitles). Weirdly, this issue went away if I re-saved the file - without re-encoding - with Avidemux. So I'm thinking it might be related to the interleaving or such?

Neither issue occurs with other Emby clients, only the Tizen betas.

Hi,

Having the same issue with subtitles getting out of sync after skipping backward or forward since the latest (January 2020) Tizen update. It occurs both with all embedded or standalone .srt files, regardless of file type and codec. Play method is DirectStream in all cases. Exiting the movie and resuming may help a bit - until skipping backward or forward again.

The other "corrupted frames" and "skipping" issue has been present for me on some titles only (again, always with subtitles). Weirdly, this issue went away if I re-saved the file - without re-encoding - with Avidemux. So I'm thinking it might be related to the interleaving or such?

Neither issue occurs with other Emby clients, only the Tizen betas.

Hi there @@Seneca2510, let's look at an example. Please attach the information requested in how to report a media playback issue. thanks !

I can reproduce this, but it isn't the subs getting out of sync.  When DirectStreaming the player is reporting the wrong playback time after skipping around, so the subs are then appearing early or late.  It's actually the video/audio stream time that is wrong.

I need to test this on some older releases to understand why this wasn't a problem previously, then I can decide how best how to resolve this.

I assume the DirectStreaming is occurring when there are DTS tracks, correct?

Seneca2510

Ah, that makes sense!

Yes, it seems to be limited to DirectStream due the presence of DTS tracks.

On one or two occasions, skipping back actually caused the video to skip forward by a minute or so, which is probably the same issue.

Hi there, let's look at an example. Please attach the information requested in how to report a media playback issue. thanks !

I hope I correct attach embyserver and ffmpeg log. 

This is my settings:

Core i5 8400

16GB RAM DDR4

GTX 1060 6gb

I connect my router direct to my tv with rj45 cable .

When I play to run x265 2160p files my CPU goes to 100% with the file listed in log.

Hope this can be enough.

ffmpeg-remux-8150baed-7446-4cda-9dab-cf1699c744a1_1.txt

embyserver.txt

@@hunesco we have to convert the audio on the fly and re-package the video into a compatible container. Does this answer your question?

Have you tried playing an mkv with x265 and compatible audio that Samsung supports? Then you won't see any transcoding.

shrouski

I've got the Q85 and I am having the same problem with #1. It's been driving me insane, but the problem occurs on USB as well so it's not going to be Emby's fault.

I can't work out what it is, but it's definitely subtitle related. If I take out all subtitles it works, if I take out some it somtimes works. Even if they're not displayed, it's causing the picture breakup if they're in the container that's playing.

FrostByte

I've got the Q85 and I am having the same problem with #1. It's been driving me insane, but the problem occurs on USB as well so it's not going to be Emby's fault.

I can't work out what it is, but it's definitely subtitle related. If I take out all subtitles it works, if I take out some it somtimes works. Even if they're not displayed, it's causing the picture breakup if they're in the container that's playing.

Do external SRT subtitles work?

shrouski

Do external SRT subtitles work?

I haven't worked out what's actually causing it but my best guess is subtitles at the moment. I was watching one particular series today which has 30-33 subrips in each container, sometimes it had the problems and sometimes it didn't. If I was getting any problems I was just remuxing and taking 1 subtitle out each time. I made it random e.g. removing Vietnamese for one, English for another and it didn't seem to matter, one out and it worked. Total subtitles didn't seem to matter. Very odd but I've had the same problem with a few shows recently. When I check the MediaInfo I can't really see any patterns or differences from the remux to original other than the missing SRT.

@@hunesco we have to convert the audio on the fly and re-package the video into a compatible container. Does this answer your question?

Have you tried playing an mkv with x265 and compatible audio that Samsung supports? Then you won't see any transcoding.

Looks I found the problem.

I change my ISP and when change the router my tv keep working only at wifi, not using the cable.

I select to work with cable only and now the files works fine. I just need convert all dts audio to ac3 and never use pgs files, since my samsung ru7100 cant support pgs and dts :(.

Tks for all replys and help Luke <3

• Like 1

Too many PGSSUB streams in the container for UHD content does seem to cause issues on these TV's with the picture breaking up.  I usually delete any PGSSUB's I know I won't need

Edited by SamES

shrouski

@@shrouski does this help?

I haven't had any issues with PGS but I don't often play from sources with it. Below is an example of something causing a problem: https://pastebin.com/y0eqUDg2

Removing one of those SRTs and it plays ok, so I don't know if there is a 30 limit causing an issue I'm not sure, but I've also got an instance where there are only 2 SRTs embedded and that is breaking up too. I will check when I get home what happens when I remove the SRTs entirely.

Edited by shrouski

I haven't had any issues with PGS but I don't often play from sources with it. Below is an example of something causing a problem: https://pastebin.com/y0eqUDg2

Removing one of those SRTs and it plays ok, so I don't know if there is a 30 limit causing an issue I'm not sure, but I've also got an instance where there are only 2 SRTs embedded and that is breaking up too. I will check when I get home what happens when I remove the SRTs entirely.

Can we look at a server log example? Thanks.

FrostByte

I don't think it's necessarily PGS subtitles that is the issue or using PGS subtitles.  From what I've read in other forums is that it's the total count of items in the container that causes issues.  Samsung's are known to be bad for this.   

Remuxing the mkv and removing what you don't want/need is what most people do.  The movie in the attachment has over 30 items.

If there are only a couple subtitles in the other file though there probably is another issue going on too.

Edited by FrostByte
  • Like 1

shrouski

Right I've played around enough to confirm it definitely glitches when there are more than 30 subtitles. 30 is fine, 31 glitches when it's supposed to display subtitles even if none are set to display.

This is not an Emby problem, it is a Samsung problem as it happens via USB as well. However, since Emby is all about over coming limitations, it would be very nice if with the Samsungs Emby remuxed if there are more than 30 embedded subtitles so that it is unnoticeable for the users.

Side note, the video and audio codecs to not matter, it's doing it with 4K HEVC, 1080p H264/H265 and 720p H264.

Here are media info if anyone wants to compare, this Movie just so happened to have 30 subtitles, I added another English onto the end to break it:

Original working 30 subs: https://pastebin.com/wGidAXTk

Broken 31 subs: https://pastebin.com/mQPrJ3AT

Edited by shrouski
  • Like 1

Ok so it's direct playing. That means whatever limitation this is is coming from the Samsung video player. There's not much we can about it other than trigger transcoding, which many will not like. So i guess the practical answer is convert the file.

shrouski

It doesn't need to transcode, it just needs to remux without #31+ of the subtitles which would complete within a minute on even a 6-7 year old i5 processor. Direct Stream instead of Direct Play.

Right it's just hard to detect that we need to do that, because this may very well work just fine for other users.

shrouski

Right it's just hard to detect that we need to do that, because this may very well work just fine for other users.

I've tested on a 2018 QLED as well now, same thing. I would say it's just Tizen in general