tvOS and video thumbnails

C88

Hi,

I opened an issue over at github but I'm unsure if this respository is still alive (last release 2018-08-04), so I thought it might be better to move my question to this place:

Hi,

Hopefully this is the correct place to submit my question:
Currently I'm using emby (v 4.3.1.0) and appleTV 4k. Everything's working fine except one thing - I've generated video thumbnails (those tiny images shown while scrubbing through media) and they're showing on my pc but not on appleTV device (like they do on other media players e.g. plex... no offense here). There are some information that this feature is not possible on iOS/tvOS devices but mostly these posts are quite old.

Is it true that there is no function to show them in your tVOS app while playing e.g. a movie in h264/DTS and MKV container? At least they're not popping up on my device ._.

vdatanet

Hi,

I opened an issue over at github but I'm unsure if this respository is still alive (last release 2018-08-04), so I thought it might be better to move my question to this place:

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/73234-beta-1428-14208-release-notes/?p=739011

With latest beta using native player with supported files (direct play), you have visual seek and visual chapter selection, with direct streaming you haven't.

Edited by vdatanet

Hi.  Apple TV is the one platform that doesn't support our video thumbnail feature but they do have their own built-in support for direct content as mentioned above.

Thanks.

Okay :(

Is there any chance to get this feature in the near future or is this some kind of technical limitation? I'm asking because I'm currently using plex (trying to move to emby) and they have this kind of thing working for all my existing files.

• Like 2

vdatanet

Okay :(

Is there any chance to get this feature in the near future or is this some kind of technical limitation? I'm asking because I'm currently using plex (trying to move to emby) and they have this kind of thing working for all my existing files.

I really miss this to skip ads while watching recorded TV!

Edited by vdatanet
  • Like 1

sfatula

I really miss this to skip ads while watching recorded TV!

Yeah, this is killer for that. For now, I guess 3 or 4 minutes depending on the channel, and then +10/-10 seconds until I find it. Kind of a pain. 

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 12/28/2021 at 6:42 PM, mike12806 said:

When will this feature come out of beta?

Hi, that's been available for quite some time.

• 1 year later...
mike3821
On 30/12/2021 at 22:07, Luke said:

Hi, that's been available for quite some time.

Looking at Apple TV again.

I am not seeing thumbnails when scrubbing through a movie or tv show like I do with my Android devices.

Edited by mike3821
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1