Emby Theater unwatchable

diaz1510

diaz1510

OK, I think I understand what you are saying.  I entered the network path (\\MediaServerPC\.....) of a video file into the windows explorer bar on the client PC and it started playing the media just fine via VLC...

diaz1510

Does anybody else have any input?  I completely understand that this may be an issue with the client PC itself and not something Emby specific, I just don't know why it is only effecting emby and not sure where to start the troubleshooting process...

diaz1510

Why do you have the same folder, twice?

5e23f0a1125a0_Annotation20200118215853.j

I don't have the same folder twice, lol...the network path of the "M:" drive itself is \\MediaServerPC\TV Shows 01. The media is located in a folder called TV Shows 01.  I used to have my media directly in the root drive but it started causing very strange metadata issues within Emby.  @@Happy2Play suggested I move the media out of the root directory into a "main" folder and that fixed all my the issues I had at the time.  The way it is written it looks like it is 2 folders...but it isn't

diaz1510

However...problem is solved...and it has nothing to do with network paths, mapping of drives, etc, as I suspected.

It WAS an issue unrelated to Emby, but was affecting Emby Theater only for some reason.  It was that recent driver.  I had been using GeForce Experience to up date the drivers, even to roll back to previous drivers.  But the issue was persisting.  I decided to go to NVidia's website directly and begin downloading legacy drivers.  I went back a year and got ET working, I slowly installed drivers leading up to the most recent and each time, ET worked fine.  What I deduced is that, for some reason, when updating drivers via GeForce Experience, it was introducing some sort of problem.  Not sure what, but when getting the latest driver from NVidia's website and using the installer packaged with it, ET works fines...for now at least, LOL.

So the lesson I learned today? Go straight to the source if at all possible...

Edited by diaz1510

Guest asrequested

I don't have the same folder twice, lol...the network path of the "M:" drive itself is \\MediaServerPC\TV Shows 01. The media is located in a folder called TV Shows 01.  I used to have my media directly in the root drive but it started causing very strange metadata issues within Emby.  @@Happy2Play suggested I move the media out of the root directory into a "main" folder and that fixed all my the issues I had at the time.  The way it is written it looks like it is 2 folders...but it isn't

That's weird and makes no sense.

However...problem is solved...and it has nothing to do with network paths, mapping of drives, etc, as I suspected.

It WAS an issue unrelated to Emby, but was affecting Emby Theater only for some reason.  It was that recent driver.  I had been using GeForce Experience to up date the drivers, even to roll back to previous drivers.  But the issue was persisting.  I decided to go to NVidia's website directly and begin downloading legacy drivers.  I went back a year and got ET working, I slowly installed drivers leading up to the most recent and each time, ET worked fine.  What I deduced is that, for some reason, when updating drivers via GeForce Experience, it was introducing some sort of problem.  Not sure what, but when getting the latest driver from NVidia's website and using the installer packaged with it, ET works fines...for now at least, LOL.

Try using studio drivers.

diaz1510

That's weird and makes no sense.

Try using studio drivers.

Not sure how it doesn't make sense.  The server PC is named MediaServerPC and on that PC is an HDD lettered "M:" which is named TV Shows 01.  That makes the network path of that actual drive \\MediaServerPC\TV Shows 01.  On that drive lives a folder also called TV Shows 01.  Within that "parent" folder is where all my media is located.  Sure, I guess I could call that parent folder something else, but that doesn't effect mapping of files and keeps me able to track of all the drives I have.  As for keeping my files within a parent folder on that drive, that is a recent change (see https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/77195-some-movies-not-showing-up-in-emby/page-3)

As for Studio vs. Game Ready, that WAS a question I asked myself.  I had tried that as well.  I was never sure which one to use.  I know they target different intended uses of whatever system they are on, but as I use both, seems the Game Ready one would fit better.  However, after figuring out that the problem seems to stem from utilizing that GeForce Experience program that sits in the system tray I think it is resolved at this point.

To be honest, don't ask me how that is, but all I know is that whenever I would install ANY drivers (Game ready or Studio, new or legacy) via GeForce Experience, the issue persisted.  The instant I downloaded a driver from Nvidia directly, and used the installer packaged with it, it worked fine.  Don't know how it worked, but it worked, and that's all I really care about at this point.

Thank you @@Luke and @ for helping out...

Edited by diaz1510

Guest asrequested

Not sure how it doesn't make sense.  The server PC is named MediaServerPC and on that PC is an HDD lettered "M:" which is named TV Shows 01.  I have many other drives on there.  But on that drive is a folder called TV Shows 01.  Within that parent folder is where all my media is located.  

Oh, now I see what you did. But that's still a little strange. My network drives are also named, but the names aren't used in the path, only the drive letter. 

5e2404a0c4ff0_Annotation20200118231940.j

5e2404af5da3f_Untitled.jpg

You just need to copy what's in the explorer address bar for the network locations, and not a mapped drive address.

Edited by Doofus