Live TV Performace (rewind and fast foward)

HTPC23

Is there any way to improve the performance when rewind/fast forwarding recorded programs?

I was hoping it would be more like the speed of a Comcast or DirecTV DVR (almost instant) but when I go to rewind or jump ahead its more like a streaming service where I have to wait for it to reload/buffer.  Just curious if maybe I am missing a setting or something or if this is just the way it is?

My Setup in case it matters...

Home built server (i5, 16GB RAM, shows being recorded to 3TB 7.2k drive) running EMBY and LiveTV

HDHomeRun Quadro

Over the air Antenna

Running Emby thru Roku TV or Roku devices

Thanks

I mean I can try that but your DVRs from Comcast/DirecTV/etc use 7.2k or 5.4k drives and dont have this issue.  So mainly curious if this just the way it is or if there is way to make it better.

@@Sammy - Are you saying you use SSDs and don't have this issue?

Edited by HTPC23

ffmpeg-directstream-30384027-0cc1-4525-9b71-fabf558dc3e3_1.txt

I moved my DVR to SSD and it seems to help a little but still not like your starndard DVRs (1st world problem I know).

Hopefully I have attached the correct log files.

I dont see a Debug option under settings on my TCL Roku TV or my Ultra Roku.

Thanks

embyserver.txt

Edited by HTPC23

I will add that sometimes ffwd and rwd can cause a recording in progress to be unplayable until after the recording finishes which is NOT desired behavior!

Spaceboy

I don’t see any of this with completed recordings. Occasionally very minor delays in ffwd in in progress recordings.

Using the shield as the client

It happened once or twice to me where trying to ffwd or rwd too much or too often killed playback of the recording in progress. You could watch live but that required skipping over about 20 to 30 minutes of the show. Most recently this was during the Golden Globes. I didn't report it because I don't have time to report every little glitch. AFAIK @@ebr knows this is a sometimes issue with the AndroidTV app. I also use ShieldTV as Clients most everywhere in my house.