HD audio downgraded due to 2 Mbps max settings for internet stream

SuissoNaBisso

SuissoNaBisso

Hi

So I have a remote server connected with gigabit connection, at home I'm using the Emby app on LG 65C9 TV running WebOS 4.5.

Use the server with UHD movies mainly containing HD audio like DTH-HD MA, Dolby True HD or event Dolby True HD Atmos.

The problem is that on this Emby player app, in the settings, the maximum quality we can set for audio (with internet stream) is 2Mbps and for certain audio tracks this is not enough hence the server is forced to transcode / downgrade the audio to AC3 format with such a low bitrate...

Example yesterday I did several tests with various movies and different audio bitrate :

• Quantum of Solace with DTS-HD MA track with bitrate of 1536 kbps = no trasncoding at all, stats for nerds well show that the DTS HD signal is decoded and sent to the TV
  • Skyfall with DTS-HD MA track with bitrate of 1536 kbps = no trasncoding at all, stats for nerds well show that the DTS HD signal is decoded and sent to the TV
  • Fantastics Beast, Crimes of Grindelwald with True HD ATmos track with bitarte of 3457 kbps = audio is being transcoded and dowgraded to AC3 format at around 500 kbps...

Is there anyway to break this max setting for audio of 2 mbps ?

My TV is compatible with HD formats including Atmos but I can't enjoy these tracks due to this limitation of Emby app...any update to fix in the future ? if Audio max settings offered was 4 or 5 Mbps that would make it !

Thanks

You may find that the issue is that TrueHD is not enabled for DirectPlay in the app. To the best of my knowledge, no one has yet proven they can send a TrueHD stream via eArc from their TV to their receiver, so in that case, we must always convert TrueHD audio.

What model is your TV? Are you certain that if you play a TrueHD track on you TV locally that TrueHD can be sent to your receiver? Have you tried it?

Edit: Sorry just saw the model in your post

Edited by SamES

SuissoNaBisso

You may find that the issue is that TrueHD is not enabled for DirectPlay in the app. To the best of my knowledge, no one has yet proven they can send a TrueHD stream via eArc from their TV to their receiver, so in that case, we must always convert TrueHD audio.

What model is your TV? Are you certain that if you play a TrueHD track on you TV locally that TrueHD can be sent to your receiver? Have you tried it?

Edit: Sorry just saw the model in your post

Well didn't try to play locally a similar movie, will try, but checking at the audio setting limit and the various bitrates used for DTS- HD and then True HD it felt obvious for me that this was due to this bitrate limitation...I guess the same settings exist on an Nvidia Shield right ? are they able to direct play True HD with bitrate over 2 Mbps on this device ?

Well didn't try to play locally a similar movie, will try, but checking at the audio setting limit and the various bitrates used for DTS- HD and then True HD it felt obvious for me that this was due to this bitrate limitation...I guess the same settings exist on an Nvidia Shield right ? are they able to direct play True HD with bitrate over 2 Mbps on this device ?

I recall the Nvidia shield might be the only option to support TrueHD (@@FrostByte) but not a device I'm familiar with.  I wasn't aware of a bitrate limitation on the audio track for DirectPlay, I'm fairly sure the limitation is on the total stream only, but probably a limit put on the audio stream size when transcoding.

There is much discussion on forums regarding TrueHD on C9.  This is just one, but they are all similar in theme : https://lgcommunity.us.com/discussion/4633/c9-earc-not-passing-truehd-atmos-through-to-receiver

Edited by SamES
  • Like 1

SuissoNaBisso

I recall the Nvidia shield might be the only option to support TrueHD (@@FrostByte) but not a device I'm familiar with.  I wasn't aware of a bitrate limitation on the audio track for DirectPlay, I'm fairly sure the limitation is on the total stream only, but probably a limit put on the audio stream size when transcoding.

There is much discussion on forums regarding TrueHD on C9.  This is just one, but they are all similar in theme : https://lgcommunity.us.com/discussion/4633/c9-earc-not-passing-truehd-atmos-through-to-receiver

Ok then I'll have to get myself an Nvidia Shield for that, just need to be sure this well direct play True HD Atmos signals first

Thanks !

• Like 1

Ok then I'll have to get myself an Nvidia Shield for that, just need to be sure this well direct play True HD Atmos signals first

Thanks !

When @@FrostByte is online he should be able to confirm Shield capability

• Like 1

FrostByte

I've got the 2019 Shield Pro and it will Direct Play remuxed 4K (usually very high bitrate) movies with TrueHD Atmos and DTS-X as long it's plugged into a receiver that supports both.  When you set up your Shield it will autodect the sound formats that your receiver/soundbar supports (you can also override those in settings). 

Since my Samsung TV doesn't have eARC I use the Shield when I want to play movies with multi-channel HD audio and passthrough the video to the TV.

My setup

Shield (HDMI1) / XB1X (HDMI2) --> Soundbar --> TV

I play all my movies locally, don't play anything over the Internet.

------

Have you tried turning off "Allow video playback that requires conversion without re-encoding" on the server to see what happens?  If you do that the server shouldn't convert the audio to AC3 when playing.  Then if your hardware or network is the issue it will just fail.

• Like 1

SuissoNaBisso

I've got the 2019 Shield Pro and it will Direct Play remuxed 4K (usually very high bitrate) movies with TrueHD Atmos and DTS-X as long it's plugged into a receiver that supports both.  When you set up your Shield it will autodect the sound formats that your receiver/soundbar supports (you can also override those in settings). 

Since my Samsung TV doesn't have eARC I use the Shield when I want to play movies with multi-channel HD audio and passthrough the video to the TV.

My setup

Shield (HDMI1) / XB1X (HDMI2) --> Soundbar --> TV

I play all my movies locally, don't play anything over the Internet.

------

Have you tried turning off "Allow video playback that requires conversion without re-encoding" on the server to see what happens?  If you do that the server shouldn't convert the audio to AC3 when playing.  Then if your hardware or network is the issue it will just fail.

No didn't try to force the direct play but I will later today.

Thanks for the tips !

• Like 1

Please make sure to read the help text underneath the option before doing that. Let us know how you get on. Thanks.

The problem is that on this Emby player app, in the settings, the maximum quality we can set for audio (with internet stream) is 2Mbps and for certain audio tracks this is not enough hence the server is forced to transcode / downgrade the audio to AC3 format with such a low bitrate...

This setting is for music only. It has no effect on audio tracks that are embedded within videos.

Let's look at an example. Thanks.