"Alexa play Toy Story"

dovedescent7

dovedescent7

is it possible to setup alexa so that our 4 year old can simply say "alexa play toy story" to the echo dot, and it will play toy story from Emby dlna library on tv?

current setup is emby on shield to lg tv.
Alternatively if needed i  could setup emby on our LG b8 oled tv instead of shield to make this work

the issue is her saying "Alexa have emby play toy story"
where i need it so she can say "Alexa play Toy Story"

possible?

i am premiere emby member btw

Edited by dovedescent7

The short answer, unfortunately, is not nessessarily.

Generally Alexa needs to know what your intent is to access request information. Which skill should be accessed to get a proper result. Alexa does have, in some situations the ability to use what is called the 'CanFulfilIntentRequest' which allows for some name free interactions with skills.

But, Amazon, being the multi-media conglomerate they are, make video and music skills difficult to implement this.

If you ask for the movie Toy Story, even with the 'CanFulfilIntentRequest' flag enabled, the request will almost always open Amazon Prime Video.

Inorder to subvert this in the past I have created a custom skill which used the invocation name "Can I" (for this exact reason, my kid was young and had trouble getting the phrasing out). So the request would be "Alexa, can I" then "watch {movie name}".

This will work for a custom skill, but it also has a caviot. It overrides hundreds of built in skill phrases where you would use that phrase. For example: "Alexa, can I have the weather?".. etc.

It ends up limiting the interaction in a lot of ways.

The other option here is to use "Open Emby Home"

This starts an open session, at this point she can say "play Toy Story" and the movie should play on the device you have set up.

Please let me know if I can help further. Sorry for the long post.

• Like 1