Introduce yourself...

Airbender

mosher82

Does anyone know how to set up by on a tv with roku installed on it? I was able to add emby but can't get past the enter server stage because I don't have a server. How do I set up or obtain server access?

Does anyone know how to set up by on a tv with roku installed on it? I was able to add emby but can't get past the enter server stage because I don't have a server. How do I set up or obtain server access?

Please post your questions in the appropriate section of the forum.

Sent from my D6633 using Tapatalk

packardbell

Hi everyone, this is my first time here.  It was after building up a Freenas server that lead me here.

Looks like a lot of reading to set up now. 

Hi everyone, this is my first time here. It was after building up a Freenas server that lead me here.

Looks like a lot of reading to set up now.

I did think the same way, before setting it up. But trust me, it is quite easy to set it up. You install the server, with a static or fixed IP address. Open your browser to go to the Emby server.

Now you need to go to Library Manager and add file addresses under Movies and TV section. They should point to the media folders.

After this, the Emby server will start searching the media to collect their meta data.

Last step, download the Emby on your client, and do auto search. It will find the Emby server and configure itself. Sit back and enjoy.

packardbell

I did think the same way, before setting it up. But trust me, it is quite easy to set it up. You install the server, with a static or fixed IP address. Open your browser to go to the Emby server.

Now you need to go to Library Manager and add file addresses under Movies and TV section. They should point to the media folders.

After this, the Emby server will start searching the media to collect their meta data.

Last step, download the Emby on your client, and do auto search. It will find the Emby server and configure itself. Sit back and enjoy.

Thanks, is there any step by step tutorials on youtube like FreeNAS where it shows you how to set it up?  I just installed the FreeNAS and got to the Web browswer to setup the RaidZ2 configuration.  All this is new to me coming from a grease monkey background lol!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

I just wanted to say how absolutley delighted I am with the progess of Media Browser / Emby since I last investigated it probably seven years ago. At the time, it lacked the PVR functionality that I required and I ended up with a WMC & MyMovies setup that has served me well as I evolved from my Hauppague ATSC tuner to Ceton and finally to HDHomerunPrime.

But time marches on, and with the happy confluence of Windows 10 being released just as Google Fiber arrived in my neighborhood (aka "Fiberhood"), it's time to put Windows Media Center out of its misery once and for all. So I installed Emby Server on my Windows Home Server 2011, performed a clean install of Windows 10 on my HTPC along with Emby Theater, and finally got around to converting all of my movies to .mkv format (thanks for the assist, MakeMKV Batch Converter!). I'll sideload the Google Fiber app for TV viewing.

I loaded my librairies, fired up Emby Theater, and... well, it almost brought a tear to my eye. Everything just works! It's also outstanding for remote streaming on my Android tablet and phone and my wife's iPad and iPhone. So many of my pet HTPC peeves are now resolved that I'm practically gushing. :D

Well played gentlemen!! A donation for your efforts is forthcoming!

Best,

Jay

Edited by 888Jay
  • Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
manishkumara

Hello Guys

I am new here very nice forum and one of the best feature is here for live chat .

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All

I was a heavy Media Browser user for about 3 years until my collection got so large that I was having to wait ages for the index to refresh. I then swapped over to Kodi fed from a networked file server. Ran that for a year or two and the started getting performance issues on updating the database with that as well (as well as Kodi corrupting the database resulting in a loss of all watched flags).

Have missed the sleekness of MB but early releases of Emby couldn't handle network attached storage and wouldn't work on my old WHS 2003 box. So when I recently upgraded my home server I decided to try Emby again and have to say I'm really impressed and happy with it.

I'm running a somewhat custom set up

Windows 2012 Essentials Server:
C2D E7300 processor

4Gb Ram

12TB of HDD (4 on board SATA ports and 2 SATA Cards)

Dual 1Gb NIC running teamed

This is fed via a pair of home plugs to my Wireless router and direct wired to my HTPC

The HTPC is running Kodi DSPlayer version which allows me to upmix all the audio to DTS 5.1 and output it via optical cable to my Amp and Video via HDMI to my lounge TV

DSPlayer integrates with MadVr which offers whole host of post processing options so I can tweak the picture as much as I want.

Amazingly enough this all works brilliantly - thanks for the hard work guys... glad to be back onboard. 

Edited by cow666

Used Media Browser when it first started.  As my collection grew and the need to view on more than just my HTPC I moved to other solutions before settling on Plex.  Co-worker mentioned Emby to me today so was thrilled while investigating to find out it's the old Media Browser.  I see some of the Fan Art I helped create is still being used.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
gbushthebutton

Hello everyone, I'm gbushthebutton. I sent this to support in the form of an email 24 hours ago, but I fear no one even keeps an eye on that inbox:

Hello,

I feel the Emby for Android app could offer more value than it does currently in terms of utility. This is an app which I find particularly useful in terms of streaming media from my personal collection on a Windows PC to my Nexus 7. My level of satisfaction should be equal or greater to that of the other apps in my app drawer, but the initial investment causes me to look at Emby more discriminately. I would like to offer a few areas of interest to look over for you to make your software worthwhile.

• Options for sorting and filtering certain media, like images for example, are not as extensive as they could be. The sort menus for images only include attributes found in videos.
  • Sorting options oddly are not present or don't apply under the "Images" tab.
  • Pinch-to-zoom! If nothing else, pinch-to-zoom on images and videos.
  • The app slowed with 48,000 images as one library, but I went back into the Emby settings and made more folders in Media Library. I have a very up-to-date desktop CPU.
  • On that note, adding folders to the media library could use some bulk selection options. As of right now, for example, it's +ADD > C:\ > <folder> > <folder> > OK, +ADD > C:\ > <folder> > <folder>, repeat...
  • After tapping am image, it's hard to remember how to go back to the previous page that lists the rest of the album. Tapping the Android 'back' button, the way every other app works, only seems to work backwards through the app but with the image still blocking everything. I even close the app by accident most times. There is an 'x' to close the image, but it's white and doesn't show up on white backgrounds.
  • Though Emby has been set up under "My Library" to search folders on my PC for images, there is still a "Videos" tab in that section. Like many sections of your app, I can't say for sure if this is a good feature for someone who browses a lot of purchased content, but it seems like it could act to slow things down for those with a personal collection.
  • I understand the need for an 'info view' for purchased content after tapping a video. Could the option to play show up while browsing videos, also?
  • On a related note, on the 'info view', when tapping the play button, options for play and resume show up. Could these be buttons on the 'info view'? I think that works to speed things up.
  • Brightness and volume during video playback, l think, should be handled by Android controls instead of dragging on the screen. This would make it less likely to trip these less-than-obvious controls.
  • The look and feel of Emby, like many Android apps, could use some improvement to be better suited for tablets. This includes some buttons and options that are too small to use on a big screen.

Once again, Emby for Android has been a valuable tool in streaming media across devices. The range of formats and file types it reads is excellent and I haven't had many problems in playback of my personal collection. My only concern and the reason why I chose to email the developer is the usefulness of it in the Android version. Keep up the good work and I'm sure it will rise to the top of the Play Store in its category. I look forward to seeing future updates.

• Like 1

Hello everyone, I'm gbushthebutton. I sent this to support in the form of an email 24 hours ago, but I fear no one even keeps an eye on that inbox:

Hi, welcome. what email address did you use? If you used the one listed in the store, we do monitor it and respond to all inquiries. It does get a lot of incoming mail though so we are not always able to respond immediately, but we try to make sure that all are responded to within 48 hours.

Hi, @@gbushthebutton, i still haven't seen your email but just wanted to let you know that I am looking into your feedback, so you haven't been forgotten. Thanks.

Also, for this, this one is already done in the latest release

After tapping am image, it's hard to remember how to go back to the previous page that lists the rest of the album. Tapping the Android 'back' button, the way every other app works, only seems to work backwards through the app but with the image still blocking everything. I even close the app by accident most times. There is an 'x' to close the image, but it's white and doesn't show up on white backgrounds.

Also as a result of feedback here I'm adding more embedded play buttons to the list UI's to reduce clicks to play.

Can you give examples of additional sorting options you'd like to see?

borntworide

Hello emby forum!   

Just came across this and very interested in the live tv support. I have been a plex user for years but as you no there is no tv support.. 

I am off to read about live tv!!

Hello emby forum!   

Just came across this and very interested in the live tv support. I have been a plex user for years but as you no there is no tv support.. 

I am off to read about live tv!!

Hi, welcome :)

punchycool

I'm Paul. Twenty yrs in IT software UX design, consulting, project mgmt, etc. I've been toying with emby for about a year now with a few failed attempts to setup the server on Ubuntu, mostly my own problems. I've also played with the iOS app, emby for roku, and the web client via FF. All have come a long way for sure! I'm totally in the game now. Last night I configured a new home server on Ubuntu and got the server up and communicating to clients immediately hooked up to a sampling of my 80GB music collection and some photos. Glad to see such great support here from the team behind this. I binged on reading a couple hundred threads scattered in here over the weekend to see what's going on. I plan to wire up some of my movies next and become a long term supporter next month.

• Like 3

Robert_D

Total Newbie here... I did manage to download and install the Client Side of the program. For the life of me I cannot install the server component. The Server Installer fails every-time I run the setup executable with this message in the install log:

Launching Application.
URLDownloadToCacheFile failed with HRESULT '-2146697211'
Error: An error occurred trying to download this http url /raw.githubusercontent.com/MediaBrowser/Emby.Releases/master/Server/windows/release/MediaBrowser.Server.Installer.application'.

Has me baffled. Oh well...My name is Robert.