Introduce yourself...

Airbender

lufcbabog

How do you reply on this technology bullschitt. ... AHH shite fellas .. I'm lost here.. if anybody finds me here will you give me baby steps guide to getting on the server.... I MAY have removed it and need to type it in again...

Chyron

How do you reply on this technology bullschitt. ... AHH shite fellas .. I'm lost here.. if anybody finds me here will you give me baby steps guide to getting on the server.... I MAY have removed it and need to type it in again...

"The" server? Emby Server is software to access media on YOUR server or perhaps the server of family or a friend willing to share access with you.

It's not Netflix. Netflix gives you access to their movie library. Emby lets you stream your own library.

• 8 months later...
biondizzle

What's going on? Plex now forces transcoding through their half-ass Homebrew version of FFMPEG and it's not open source so I can't even fix it myself. It's so unbearably bad and there's nothing I can do about it. I just installed this last night and bought a lifetime premiere subscription because I heard it is open source, uses actual FFMPEG, and still supports direct play. So far it's working really well.

I can not find a repository for Emby Server that has the latest builds. Seems like the GitHub dropped off about a year ago and is way behind the current build... Also looks like that repo is missing some key files.

Can someone point me to the emby repo? I would LOVE to contribute and have a copy of the source just in case emby also decides to focus on poorly implemented features rather than reliability.

vdatanet

What's going on? Plex now forces transcoding through their half-ass Homebrew version of FFMPEG and it's not open source so I can't even fix it myself. It's so unbearably bad and there's nothing I can do about it. I just installed this last night and bought a lifetime premiere subscription because I heard it is open source, uses actual FFMPEG, and still supports direct play. So far it's working really well.

I can not find a repository for Emby Server that has the latest builds. Seems like the GitHub dropped off about a year ago and is way behind the current build... Also looks like that repo is missing some key files.

Can someone point me to the emby repo? I would LOVE to contribute and have a copy of the source just in case emby also decides to focus on poorly implemented features rather than reliability.

As wikipedia says:

"As of version 3.5.3 Emby has been relicensed and is now closed-source."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emby

We're always looking for new team members though, so if you're a software developer send me your info and perhaps we'll have a job for you.

KathWaldron

Hi

I'm a total NOOB (and admit it), I was reading up on the Raspberry PI & sharing media across different platforms.

I want to setup a drive with all my media on, which I can play this media on what hardware I have.

Xbox One

Various Android Phones

Asus Laptop

Samsung Tablet

I want to later add a RPi as my NAS, could I setup Emby on say my Laptop and other devices, then add the RPi to be used as the main NAS.

Sorry if its vague.

mastrmind11

Hi

I'm a total NOOB (and admit it), I was reading up on the Raspberry PI & sharing media across different platforms.

I want to setup a drive with all my media on, which I can play this media on what hardware I have.

Xbox One

Various Android Phones

Asus Laptop

Samsung Tablet

I want to later add a RPi as my NAS, could I setup Emby on say my Laptop and other devices, then add the RPi to be used as the main NAS.

Sorry if its vague.

as long as all of your media is able to be direct played, yes, that's precisely what emby is designed for.  However, since you're a noob, prepare yourself for a decently high learning curve and extra help from the community.  Linux isn't a noob OS, and rpi isn't a noob platform.

Hello world ! So here i am :)

I have discovered Emby only a few days ago. I am an old timer Plex user . I've start with a moded xbox back in the day with XMBC ;)

I have a dedicated server at home running on an Intel Nuc with a core i7.

Plex ditching the plugin really pissed me off and i found emby while looking for an alternative. 

For the moment i am pretty impressed by Emby and all the possibilities. 

I will run Plex and Emby server and do some intensive and deep testing for the next weeks. 

i am an advanced user :) 

• Like 1

Hello world ! So here i am :)

I have discovered Emby only a few days ago. I am an old timer Plex user . I've start with a moded xbox back in the day with XMBC ;)

I have a dedicated server at home running on an Intel Nuc with a core i7.

Plex ditching the plugin really pissed me off and i found emby while looking for an alternative. 

For the moment i am pretty impressed by Emby and all the possibilities. 

I will run Plex and Emby server and do some intensive and deep testing for the next weeks. 

i am an advanced user :)

Hi, welcome, and thanks for the feedback !

• 2 weeks later...
dimmthewitted

Hello,

Lifetime Plex Pass first time Emby user. 

Emby seems pretty good but I am here in hopes to customize my setup a bit.

I'm a contributor on a few open source projects.  (Arduino & RetroPie)

Coder and full time sql / java dev.

Hi everyone. I've been using Emby for a couple of months now. I think. Ha ha. Used Plex and Kodi for years.I signed up for emby premiere because of the DVR option and compatibility with IPTV. It's great, I love it so far.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Chyron

Can someone please show me how to work this app

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome!

1. Install your own Emby Server

2. Install your Emby favourite client application

3. Enjoy your media

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki

This.

Basically, it's like a Netflix that you control, by using your own media, stored on your computer.

Emby itself is a platform. You provide the media that streams on it, and how it is organized and displayed is up to you.

Edited by chyron8472
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
deannielsen64

Hey Dean from Denmark here.

Just want to say hi here, i just take the jump from 4 years with Plex lifetime to Emby lifetime yesterday.

Today I was setting up my library on my Windows pc and my Android phone.

I was getting tired Og Plex, so now I hope Emby can give me the good feeling I was missing for long time.

Now I need to find a place where I can find all kind of plugins for my pc and all kind of apps for my Android phone, hope u guys can and will help me?

Hope there is a kind of a catalog or something like that [emoji847]

Cheers

Sendt fra min EVR-L29 med Tapatalk

Hey Dean from Denmark here.

Just want to say hi here, i just take the jump from 4 years with Plex lifetime to Emby lifetime yesterday.

Today I was setting up my library on my Windows pc and my Android phone.

I was getting tired Og Plex, so now I hope Emby can give me the good feeling I was missing for long time.

Now I need to find a place where I can find all kind of plugins for my pc and all kind of apps for my Android phone, hope u guys can and will help me?

Hope there is a kind of a catalog or something like that [emoji847]

Cheers

Hi there, welcome! And yes, Emby server has a plugin catalog.

deannielsen64

Hi there, welcome! And yes, Emby server has a plugin catalog.

Find it thx [emoji1303][emoji847]

Edited by deannielsen64

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I'm a long time Plex user, one of the first actually, I was using Xbmc on my Xbox, switched to Plex when XBMC took that turn into what is now Kodi.

But now i'm kinda tired of them focusing on the UI(and breaking it) instead of the server side and not giving us what we want, GOODIES!.

I'm on the trial of Emby and I love it. For now...

Anyone knows where the development of Emby goes since 2 years? Did they move it away from Github?

I see that they update it often...

Please don't tell me it's not open source anymore?

Have fun steaming!!!

Hi and welcome!

The server core is no longer open source but that has not slowed us down at all - or, really, had any impact other than positive ones on our development.

Chyron

If I recall correctly, they said when they were making improvements to the Live TV/DVR aspect of the software, they invested real money in getting Emby to acquire channel guide data. They said they could technically close off just the code in question, but to do so would be more cumbersome than to close code for the server core entirely.

Long time Kodi user since the very early XBMC days. Bought a new 82" Sammy for Xmas and recently migrated all my media to a DS918+. Have never played with Emby at all until recently. Wow I wish I had of years ago. Signed up to Premiere a couple of days later. Really enjoying exploring what Emby can do for me. 

My favourite feature so far, being able to manually edit metadata. Great works devs. Awesome bit of code you got going on here.

• Like 1