Introduce yourself...

Airbender

FreeBSD_Lover

Hi all,

Despite holding a Lifetime Plex Pass, I have decided to give emby a whirl.  I have heard great things about it, and with the Plex team's changing the privacy policy (uploading meta data) and basically telling the FreeBSD camp that their abandoning the OS, I decided the time has come.

So just installed the 'port' as 'we' like to call it, and wow I really like it. I'm stumbling through it a bit, but it looks to be the 'power user' media server I had hoped it to be.  Give me one good weekend, and maybe a couple rum and Pepsi's and I should be a pro right?  I did very easily add one images folder just to see how the presentation looked, and I got my HDHomeRun Extend device added too. I just gotta figure out the EPG for it, get the rest of my media pulled in and maybe try some lite customizations here n there.

Anyway, wanted to say hi and while I am not asking for any help (yet), feel free to set any expectations I should know about, especially those to the use of emby running on FreeBSD OS. And when I say FreeBSD I mean that, and not any of its forks/variations.  Running 10.3-RELEASE currently, and will soon go to 10.4 and then eventually go to 11.x-RELEASE.  And one last note, if I decide to keep using the emby software I'll likely start buying into some of the non-free options.

Here's to what I think will be a great 2018 year !  :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello every one,   My screen name is 36 Buick. This was my 3rd car and the one I used in college in the middle 60's, it's one of many that I wished I still had.

I am running Ubuntu OS ( still a little green.) I tried Plex but ran into trouble with not enough bandwidth on Roku. I found this site in Google so I shall give it a try. I have downloaded the server and am working on the part about giving permission. I  found the script that dcrdev

wrote. It looks like what I have been looking to play the movies on my computer so my wife and I can watch them together. I am sureI will be asking for help.

36Buick.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
Dibbes

@@36Buick

Hello every one,   My screen name is 36 Buick. This was my 3rd car and the one I used in college in the middle 60's, it's one of many that I wished I still had.

You got good taste!

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
purger500

Hi everyone,

I have been PLEX pass user for many years. But I became very unsatisfied with recently development of PLEX servers and PLEX client apps.

I decided to try EMBY. After initial installation and testing, I am very satisfied with current state of EMBY server and EMBY app for android TV (NVIDIA shield), so I decided to fully implement EMBY to my household.

I have 3 users (myself and two of my family members). I will purchase 2 additional NVIDIA shields. As soon shileds arrives, I will uninstall PLEX server. 

I am already EMBY Premiere member.

Only "big" thing that bothers me in the EMBY app for android TV (NVIDIA shield) is lack of subtitles size and positioning settings (default is too big and too up from the bottom of the screen). I hope that you will add this very soon.

Keep on doing a good job!

Once again, greetings to all staff members and users.

Best regards

• Like 1

Hi everyone,

I have been PLEX pass user for many years. But I became very unsatisfied with recently development of PLEX servers and PLEX client apps.

I decided to try EMBY. After initial installation and testing, I am very satisfied with current state of EMBY server and EMBY app for android TV (NVIDIA shield), so I decided to fully implement EMBY to my household.

I have 3 users (myself and two of my family members). I will purchase 2 additional NVIDIA shields. As soon shileds arrives, I will uninstall PLEX server. 

I am already EMBY Premiere member.

Only "big" thing that bothers me in the EMBY app for android TV (NVIDIA shield) is lack of subtitles size and positioning settings (default is too big and too up from the bottom of the screen). I hope that you will add this very soon.

Keep on doing a good job!

Once again, greetings to all staff members and users.

Best regards

Hi and welcome!

Would you mind letting us know just what you didn't like in recent developments with the other guys...?  Just curious so maybe we don't make the same mistake(s) :).

• Like 1

purger500

Hi and welcome!

Would you mind letting us know just what you didn't like in recent developments with the other guys...?  Just curious so maybe we don't make the same mistake(s) :).

For example: almost every update (server or app) introduced a bug or more, new one or the old one (which was resolved some time ago). New features that users requested, were implemented very slowly or never. Android TV app was unstable and full of bugs, and support was slow or non-existent. Etc... 

• Like 1

Thanks for the feedback.

We certainly won't be perfect but we will strive to address any issue you encounter (and report to us :)) as quickly as we can.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
RandyAnon

Hey guys/gals!  New to Emby, long time Plex user here  <_<  and main reason I left was I paid a year for their garbage plex pass simply for the cloud server which they then killed month after I paid and refused a refund so I uninstalled everything plex related and went all in on Emby.  Does Emby have anything like the cloud server setup that Plex had to stream from say google drive or whatever?  Just wondering, love the program so far and learning tons of it day by day, definitely much more customization than plex that is for sure.  Thanks for all the hard word on a quality media server!!

RandyAnon

Hi and welcome!

I also left Plex after constant frustrations over poor updates 

Hey guys/gals!  New to Emby, long time Plex user here  <_ and main reason i left was paid a year for their garbage plex pass simply the cloud server which they then killed month after refused refund so uninstalled everything related went all in on emby. does emby have anything like setup that had to stream from say google drive or whatever just wondering love program far learning tons of it day by definitely much more customization than is sure. thanks hard word quality media>

Hi, welcome! We do not have a cloud service, but you could easily rent a cloud server and the install Emby Server onto that.

Hi guys,

Long time Kodi user (from the xbox time :D) and always managed my library locally with mediamanagers such as Ember and Mediaelch.

Recently gave Plex a spin and liked the concept, but soon realized it wasn't for me (lack of customization), and then I learnt about Emby.

Really impressed by Emby, took a while to get everything set up right. Had to dig into the Samba config to ensure Emby kept writing

rights on new subfolders on my Linux server (I just love that Emby can put all metadata in the media folders), but it works like a dream now.

Every time I think about something I'd like, Emby seems to have an answer for it. Still lots to explore obviously.

Kudos to the developers, this is an excellent piece of work and I'll get an Emby premiere even if I don't need most of the extras for now.

Grtz

• Like 2

hi new  to emby . has anyone got live club tv channels like rangers,celtic tv

Hi and welcome.  We provide a personal media server for your own content.  We don't provide any content or sources.

Thanks.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
Happy2Play

I don’t know what the heck iam doing need help connecting to Emby server Can someone help please

Welcome, can you be more specific.

Quick start