Introduce yourself...

Airbender

MSattler

Hey,

My brother installed Emby about 8 months ago and once I saw it i was hooked.  So i built my own unRAID server and installed Emby as a docker.  I think I even paid my lifetime member fee before i even had the server set up.  I then raided my PC bone yard to slap together an htpc solution real quick and haven't looked back.  Currently I am prepping a zotac mini pc to work as a set top box that will be mounted to the back of my big screen.  The latest emby theater is great.  It has a few quirks im not real fond of.  Like my android tablet i use as a remote can't find emby theater on the network about 50% of the time after the PC wakes up but im sure once i get around to collecting logs and more details the emby devs will fix this.

By day i am a full stack developer/solutions architect/jack of all trades which sucks up most of my free time and energy that I would like to be using to test and tinker with emby.  Maybe one day after hell has frozen over and my company hires me some minions I can build a plugin or help the Emby project out in some way.  Or maybe sign up as a tester and try to break someone else's code for a change.  That may actually be kind of fun.

@@MSattler I agree with some of your takeaways regarding Emby but so far they haven't been deal breakers.

My takeaways thus far (sort of combined with MSattler's)

1. While running beta builds it should be expected that some things will break.  That's why they are in beta.  I've had beta builds for enterprise solutions completely hose the database on a staging server...oops.

2. The little to no release notes does suck.  Especially when you are reading documentation that points to a feature that is no longer there.

3. Documentation is often out of date and thus makes administrating the server confusing or tedious at times.  Looking at you Camera Upload wiki page.

4. Database backups to me are just a part of doing business.  I would say for most of us who have ever done sys admin work we just do this out of habit.  However it could pose an issue for novices who just want plug and play.  Maybe a built in back up solution that asks them where they would like the data to be saved could be a nice workaround.

5.  Third party/plugin support seems kind of "meh"...auto box sets is cool and the trailers with cinema is kind of cool.  But the rest just seems kind of pointless.  That's my opinion for how i use emby and by no means a slam against any plugin developers.   Please keep up the good work.

6. And lastly user management is somewhat lacking.  I like the cinema mode using trailers but i dont want trailers to show up as a media item.  In order to turn it off universally i have to make changes to each user account in their access settings.  This is not really ideal.  No issue now since i only have a handful of users but as my user count grows this may become an issue.

Other than that small list of complaints I have nothing but praise for emby.  I actually feel somewhat spoiled.  I have my emby server on a pretty beefy unRAID box behind a Google Fiber connection so I can usually play anything on my android phone just as fast as I can Netflix.  It literally feels like i built my own personal Netflix except its better because 99.9999% of the content doesn't suck.

Almost forgot...PLEASE!!!!!...get emby ported to something like OpenELEC.  My zotac mini pc will love and thank you for it.  Windows 10 runs pretty snappy on it since i upgraded the ssd and threw an 8 GB sodimm at it but a full OS is WAY overkill for a device meant to act as an STB.

Thanks  for all the hard work!!!

Beta builds should be expected to be functional, with some issues here and there.   They should not be builds that won't even provide standard functionality,  That is a dev build, not beta.

For #5, third party developers are not around, because there is nothing to profit from.  Only Emby developers can make money.....

sansoo22

Beta builds should be expected to be functional, with some issues here and there.   They should not be builds that won't even provide standard functionality,  That is a dev build, not beta.

For #5, third party developers are not around, because there is nothing to profit from.  Only Emby developers can make money.....

For beta builds I tend to cut open source projects a little slack.  They typically don't have the resources to provide full regression testing and tend to "crowd source" much of the testing.  That being said I'm not sure if Emby is open source or not.  I haven't been to Github to check the licensing but you can freely use the server software and from what I've seen anyone can write a plugin.

Which brings me to your point about no profit being available for third party developers.  I'm very curious how that would work.  Would there be some sort of plugin store where you could go to purchase new plugins?  Who would do the vetting to insure they aren't malicious or just plain written poorly?  I'm not trying to be a jerk by any means.  I thoroughly enjoy using Emby and want to see it prosper so I'm very curious how it would be possible to entice third party developers to build plugins that enhance what Emby can do.

We have a facility already for plugin developers to monetize if they wish, however we have never really promoted it therefore very few know about it. So I can understand why you'd think that it's not there. The current participants are primarily community developers who have been around since the Media Browser 2 days, so they are are mostly longtime trusted members. We are open to accepting new ones, it's just not something we have been actively promoting in announcements.

As far as release notes go, we have taken this feedback to heart and you can now find pinned release notes topics in the forum section for every single app. For example:

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/42780-emby-for-android-release-notes/

If you don't see one for any given app, you will the next time it has an update.

Vidman

Hey,

Almost forgot...PLEASE!!!!!...get emby ported to something like OpenELEC. My zotac mini pc will love and thank you for it. Windows 10 runs pretty snappy on it since i upgraded the ssd and threw an 8 GB sodimm at it but a full OS is WAY overkill for a device meant to act as an STB.

Thanks for all the hard work!!!

Emby server is available as a service in libreelec

Emby theater is available for testing on raspberry pi

clarkss12

Perhaps I am misunderstanding, but are you saying that LibreELEC has the capability to be an Emby server??  I am running LibreELEC on one of my Android Boxes, (Amlogic S905), but don't see any Emby server app.

Vidman

Perhaps I am misunderstanding, but are you saying that LibreELEC has the capability to be an Emby server?? I am running LibreELEC on one of my Android Boxes, (Amlogic S905), but don't see any Emby server app.

Sorry I should have specified,I believe it's only available on x86 builds

clarkss12

Sorry I should have specified,I believe it's only available on x86 builds

Thanks for that information.  It brings up another question, why can't it be made to run on an Android device?  Amlogic SoC's seem to be the most popular hardware for LibreELEC.

Vidman

Thanks for that information. It brings up another question, why can't it be made to run on an Android device? Amlogic SoC's seem to be the most popular hardware for LibreELEC.

I believe it's just a matter of time. I believe some of the component software that emby server relies on has not been ported yet

sansoo22

Thanks for pointing that out.  I had never considered running Emby Theater on a raspberry pi because I got the zotac with an amd e350 and 8GB of memory for free.  However after some research it looks like the Pi 3 is capable of doing everything i need. @@Luke I'm done complaining for now.  I see theater is in the works for both linux and the RPi.  I will be keeping me eye on both of those solutions.

We already support Emby Server for RPI. You can find instructions on our download page of the website. You can use either the general linux installation or the Docker installation which now supports ARM.

Additionally Theater is now in testing also.

What we don't currently have is a single unified package that bundles both together, which would be nice in the future.

maintainin

Hi all,

New poster here. I'm looking at Emby hard to replace Jriver for watching ripped blu rays on a HTPC connected to a Denon reciever and Samsung and 4k tv. I have a couple of questions. 

First, I have to install the emby server on the PC I want the movie files to be on. Which would be my HTPC. I will also mainly watch the movies on that HTPC which means I will also need to have emby theater installed on that PC? I see that emby theater only offers movie playback with a premiere subscription, but that the legacy version is available for free? What are the differences between premiere version and the legacy version?

Madvr is incorporated into emby? 

How does emby and kodi go together? I do watch channels on kodi from time to time.

Looks like a very nice product and I'm willing to shell out the $99 for a lifetime subscription if its similar or better than what jriver offered me. But all I will really be using it for is to watch movies. Why should I go with this over say Plex?  Thanks!

Edited by maintainin

Hi, welcome @@maintainin. Yes, madvr is incorporated into Emby Theater. The legacy version is free but is no longer being developed. Going Premiere will give you access to all of the features l listed here:

https://emby.media/premiere.html

Theater also has an accompanying web app with identical look and feel that can give you the same experience on other devices. It also supports Live TV and Dvr functions. Let us know if you have any additional questions. Thanks !

Hi All,

Thought I'd pop by and say hello :)

Switched over from Plex about a month or so ago and loving it

Metadata Manager is fantastic and the Kodi add-on is brilliant

Looking forward to using the product for a while to come, and buy a Premiere subscription in order to give back to the developers

Cheers for a great product

• 2 weeks later...
little_red_monkey

Hi, I'm little_red__monkey ; I'm from Sarnia Ontario (Canada) . I love anything that is about computers,and especially mobile devices. I know little about computers and IT technology strictly by proxy, but find the little I do know gets me into more frustrating messes then not knowing anything.

I've decided to do a virtual memory wipe and reclaim the status of complete greenhorn.

I just spent 8 hours trying to do this Kodi/emby shananagan... of which I am pretty sure I was dead in the water before I started without a PC or laptop (did I get that pearl of wisdom right at least from eight hours?) lol... anyway, hopefully I have stumbled into a place that accomadates those who require smaller less technical terminology and perhaps some metaphorical analysis to clarify what is likely cake by the ocean to a lot of users here. Thank-you for allowing me to introduce myself.... I guess I just send an email to the thread administrator if I cant navigate a solution or find any other resources useful? Till we talks-backa again little_red_monkey.[emoji85][emoji86]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome.  I think you'll find there is a wealth of information out here as well as lots of helpful people :).

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Dreamwc here (www.dreamwc.com) loving Emby server so far. Was a Plex user and I really like all the stuff Emby has to offer the other applications do not.

hi folks, an oap here and confined to a chair, i am trying a server for the first time, dunno if i can work it, i need to run kodi, and set up a ccam, so a bit of reading here, then the old try and error game, hopefully i can enjoy my time here, however long i will last