Introduce yourself...

Airbender

Welcome.  You need to install a server yourself or have a friend or family member invite you.

• 1 month later...
Hitsville

Hey guys.... a long time Plex user here who has finally had enough.

I must admit I installed Emby purely for the theatre app as the current Plex offering is awful. I was pretty amazed at how great the collections work after years of using Plex half hearted attempt at such a basic feature.

I share my server with a couple of friends including my girlfriend who is in no way tech savvy. I asked her to just test it out on her Roku, mainly just to test if she could connect. Within an hour she rang me and asked me if she could use it instead of Plex because she found it easier to get to where she wanted to go. That was the point when I realised I was using the wrong server software.

So just one friend now who uses a 2015 Samsung TV... As soon as the app is launched in Europe I can transfer her to Emby and finally get Plex off my server.

Hopefully we are looking at weeks rather than months?

One final question though.. Are there an plans on the horizon to develop an embedded client? Despite Plex Media player being a nightmare to navigate it does actually run very well on a Raspberry Pi or NUC. I would love to see this type of client come to Emby. :-)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
wisegirl213

Hi there...my name is Lori and I haven't a friggin clue as to what I'm doing. I've got it all set up on the Roku and it asks for sever and port. Would some kind soul please help a sister out? Do they mean my sever? Because I have that one. Port autopops to 8096 but when I accept it, it tells me it's unable to connect. Help!! Please!!!   :wacko:  :huh:  :unsure:  :unsure:  :wacko:  Thanks in advance!

wisegirl213

Hi there...my name is Lori and I haven't a friggin clue as to what I'm doing. I've got it all set up on the Roku and it asks for sever and port. Would some kind soul please help a sister out? Do they mean my sever? Because I have that one. Port autopops to 8096 but when I accept it, it tells me it's unable to connect. Help!! Please!!!   :wacko:  :huh:  :unsure:  :unsure:  :wacko:  Thanks in advance!

Doesn't a puppy that cute deserve everything he needs to make a mama happy?  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:

wisegirl213

Welcome.  You need to install a server yourself or have a friend or family member invite you.

Would you please be so kind as to give me all of the info I need to get my Roku Emby up and running? Thanks kindly!  :)

Guest asrequested

Hi Lori. Try taking a look at this guide and see if it helps.

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Quick%20start

Especially this part

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Connectivity

Edited by Doofus

wisegirl213

Hi there...very, very new here and without one single clue as to what I'm doing. I'm stuck at the "add server" part (I thought it was my personal server...apparently not) and the port auto pops with 8096. Any help, magic wands and/or fairy dust would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

:wub:  :wub:  :wub:

Hi All,

A new member to the emby community and a convert from Plex.

Having some teething issues but love the program thus far, as it has a up and coming calender, a episode renamer and suggestions and info from the imdb etc.

Awesome product, wish I had come across it earlier.

Kind Regards

ShenLun

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I think it's time to introduce, because it seems that I'll stay here for a while.

After two years with Xpenology+N54l+Pi+OSMC I decided to pay Synology what they deserve and buy DS916+ ... Synology will get cash, because You made a server which:

• Integrates well with Kodi/RaspberryPi
  • hardware transcode (have an iPad, count that HEVC will transcode as well to Pi)

You guys made something (QuickSync), that Plex isn't hurry with and I was postponing new NAS buy until I'll find 4-bay which will transcode ...

I'm testing Emby right now on my Windows PC just to check how it's working (and so far I like it) ...

... so when my DS916+ arrives Your Emby Premiere Lifetime subscribers counter will be +1 :)

In short:

You're awesome ... thanks :)

Bartek

• 3 weeks later...
Krikroff

Hello everybody :)

I'am new here. I play with emby server from 1 month and i love it. Soon i will go definitly on Emby (from serviio). I'am a software developper (dedicated to Microsoft technologies), passionate by embedded software and home automation and i live in France.

Thank you for your great software.

Br

Hello everybody :)

I'am new here. I play with emby server from 1 month and i love it. Soon i will go definitly on Emby (from serviio). I'am a software developper (dedicated to Microsoft technologies), passionate by embedded software and home automation and i live in France.

Thank you for your great software.

Br

Hi, welcome. We're glad to have you !

• Like 1

Kingvela360

Hey everybody I'm new to this kodi emby media center stuff not new to computers just the programs and what not but everyone callshould me king and we'll I'm looking for people to share good movie channels with me! Give me some tips and advice! Please and thank you! .....King

• 2 weeks later...
trifleneurotic

I am a brand new Emby user and I love it! I was formerly a Plex user and I just posted my (very) initial thoughts in another forum post. In short, most of my problems were self-inflicted. That's a testament to your solid product (: I look forward to promoting Emby in any way I can. Well done!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
brando56894

I'm Brandon, a Lifelong Plex and Kodi user, recent Emby convert. I'm kicking the Plex habit soon for good I cancelled my PlexPass the day after I joined Emby Premiere :D

I've used Kodi ever since it originally launched as Xbox Media Center (when it was an alternate dashboard for the original Xbox) and have loved it ever since, it has always been my go-to media center app but as my library grew and internet bandwidth increased I missed being able to watch it outside my network: enter Plex a few years later. Ever since then I've had to maintain two separate libraries which sucked, one for internal use and one for external use and sharing with friends. I've tried to use Plex as my main app but the UI sucked and XBMC offered so much more functionality. The only long-standing problem that I had with Kodi was the lack of a central database and keeping the library up to date with minimal intervention, I usually remedied this with an SQL database and an ARM Kodi client that I kept on 24/7, but that became a pain.

About 2 months ago I heard about a Kodi add-on called PlexKodiConnect and my prayers had finally been answered: I could use Plex as my backend and Kodi as my front-end! PKC is cool, but it's kinda slow with a massive library, moreso Plex (the app and the company) has been annoying me. PMS seems to have random issues that no one can explain or solve (my server settings became unavailable after a reboot, there are many threads about this [and other issues] but there's never a foolproof fix, or even a reason why it happened), and the company doesn't really listen to their users. The new adventure of Plex Cloud sounded awesome and I was anxious to beta test it, but never got an invite [despite being a PlexPass member for 5 years....] and I've seen that it largely sucks and is full of bugs. Their latest development is what finally drove me away from them for good: They announced "Plex for Kodi" to much fanfare, touting that it uses all the benefits of Kodi. I was ecstatic, think it was an official version of PlexKodiConnect......nope it was simply just a way to launch a full Plex client from within Kodi. Huh? 

Many other users shared my disappointment and utter confusion, and just wanted a simple API between Plex and Kodi that didn't completely hijack Kodi. While sharing my feelings, a user there recommended that I give Emby a try since it works flawlessly with Kodi, he had tried it a while ago and liked it but went back to Plex. He said that all the recent things Plex has done just kept driving him to check out how much Emby has advanced since the last time he used it. I gave it a shot on my server (FreeNAS 10 nightly beta builds) and immediately fell in love! It seems that everything about Emby is far more useful than it's Plex counterpart (if it even has one). After about 72 hours of use I decided to buy one month of Emby Premiere, and I'll probably get a lifetime one shortly.

The only thing I don't like is that the remote in the Android app sucks, the arrow pad is small and is in an awkward position at the top of the screen.

Edited by brando56894
  • Like 2

I'm Brandon, a Lifelong Plex and Kodi user, recent Emby convert. I'm kicking the Plex habit soon for good I cancelled my PlexPass the day after I joined Emby Premiere :D

I've used Kodi ever since it originally launched as Xbox Media Center (when it was an alternate dashboard for the original Xbox) and have loved it ever since, it has always been my go-to media center app but as my library grew and internet bandwidth increased I missed being able to watch it outside my network: enter Plex a few years later. Ever since then I've had to maintain two separate libraries which sucked, one for internal use and one for external use and sharing with friends. I've tried to use Plex as my main app but the UI sucked and XBMC offered so much more functionality. The only long-standing problem that I had with Kodi was the lack of a central database and keeping the library up to date with minimal intervention, I usually remedied this with an SQL database and an ARM Kodi client that I kept on 24/7, but that became a pain.

About 2 months ago I heard about a Kodi add-on called PlexKodiConnect and my prayers had finally been answered: I could use Plex as my backend and Kodi as my front-end! PKC is cool, but it's kinda slow with a massive library, moreso Plex (the app and the company) has been annoying me. PMS seems to have random issues that no one can explain or solve (my server settings became unavailable after a reboot, there are many threads about this [and other issues] but there's never a foolproof fix, or even a reason why it happened), and the company doesn't really listen to their users. The new adventure of Plex Cloud sounded awesome and I was anxious to beta test it, but never got an invite [despite being a PlexPass member for 5 years....] and I've seen that it largely sucks and is full of bugs. Their latest development is what finally drove me away from them for good: They announced "Plex for Kodi" to much fanfare, touting that it uses all the benefits of Kodi. I was ecstatic, think it was an official version of PlexKodiConnect......nope it was simply just a way to launch a full Plex client from within Kodi. Huh? 

Many other users shared by disappointment and utter confusion, and just wanted a simple API between Plex and Kodi, that didn't completely hijack Kodi. While sharing my feelings, a user there recommended that I give Emby a try since it works flawlessly with Kodi, he had tried it a while ago and liked it but went back to Plex. He said that all the recent things Plex has done just kept driving him to check out how much Emby has advanced since the last time he used it. I gave it a shot on my server (FreeNAS 10 nightly beta builds) and immediately fell in love! It seems that everything about Emby is far more useful than it's Plex counterpart (if it even has one). After about 72 hours of use I decided to buy one month of Emby Premiere, and I'll probably get a lifetime one shortly.

The only thing I don't like is that the remote in the Android app sucks, the arrow pad is small and is in an awkward position at the top of the screen.

Hi there @@brando56894, welcome! Thank you for the feedback. Just so you know, revamping the remote control UI is on our upcoming to do list for the mobile app. Thanks for the feedback !

• Like 1

MSattler

Many other users shared by disappointment and utter confusion, and just wanted a simple API between Plex and Kodi, that didn't completely hijack Kodi. While sharing my feelings, a user there recommended that I give Emby a try since it works flawlessly with Kodi, he had tried it a while ago and liked it but went back to Plex. He said that all the recent things Plex has done just kept driving him to check out how much Emby has advanced since the last time he used it. I gave it a shot on my server (FreeNAS 10 nightly beta builds) and immediately fell in love! It seems that everything about Emby is far more useful than it's Plex counterpart (if it even has one). After about 72 hours of use I decided to buy one month of Emby Premiere, and I'll probably get a lifetime one shortly.

Welcome!

Emby Developers listen very well, as long as what you want is something they wan't.  Else..... well......

Take it from someone who has abandoned Emby for Plex.

Some take aways....

1)  Never run beta anywhere, unless you expect issues like a client suddenly not playing anything back, or deciding to transcode everything.

2)  Little to no real release notes.

3)  No Status updates on features and when they are coming.

4)  A tooth and nail type fight to get features added on for things like giving users a notice about data collecting, and the option to turn it off.

5)  Being behind in Android based player playback, specifically in regards to HD Audio <won't be a problem for you with Kodi+Emby>.

6)  Always back up your user database for occasional upgrade forcing a database upgrade which destroys your databases.

7)  Absolutely zero third party support.   Unlike Plex where you at least have the unofficial plugin store, third parties have abandoned Emby.

hope it goes well for you.

Cheers!

• Like 1

MUSICLOVER

Hi,

I currently have an online site that transposed music into another frequency.

People can upload music in mp3's to it, then they get it back for free transposed, and it becomes part of the music library, and others can donate to obtain that music. All creators of the music, are entitled to 60% royalties of donations received for their music. I also have a radio site connected to it, with several genres. The problem is when anyone uploads new music the radio site cuts off. It should have been separated somehow but it's not. Also the software I am using is outdated.

I am looking to work with Emby in helping to fix these issues. Is there anyone available that can be hired to help?

Thanks

Edited by MUSICLOVER

• 2 weeks later...
sansoo22

Hey,

My brother installed Emby about 8 months ago and once I saw it i was hooked.  So i built my own unRAID server and installed Emby as a docker.  I think I even paid my lifetime member fee before i even had the server set up.  I then raided my PC bone yard to slap together an htpc solution real quick and haven't looked back.  Currently I am prepping a zotac mini pc to work as a set top box that will be mounted to the back of my big screen.  The latest emby theater is great.  It has a few quirks im not real fond of.  Like my android tablet i use as a remote can't find emby theater on the network about 50% of the time after the PC wakes up but im sure once i get around to collecting logs and more details the emby devs will fix this.

By day i am a full stack developer/solutions architect/jack of all trades which sucks up most of my free time and energy that I would like to be using to test and tinker with emby.  Maybe one day after hell has frozen over and my company hires me some minions I can build a plugin or help the Emby project out in some way.  Or maybe sign up as a tester and try to break someone else's code for a change.  That may actually be kind of fun.

@@MSattler I agree with some of your takeaways regarding Emby but so far they haven't been deal breakers.

My takeaways thus far (sort of combined with MSattler's)

1. While running beta builds it should be expected that some things will break.  That's why they are in beta.  I've had beta builds for enterprise solutions completely hose the database on a staging server...oops.

2. The little to no release notes does suck.  Especially when you are reading documentation that points to a feature that is no longer there.

3. Documentation is often out of date and thus makes administrating the server confusing or tedious at times.  Looking at you Camera Upload wiki page.

4. Database backups to me are just a part of doing business.  I would say for most of us who have ever done sys admin work we just do this out of habit.  However it could pose an issue for novices who just want plug and play.  Maybe a built in back up solution that asks them where they would like the data to be saved could be a nice workaround.

5.  Third party/plugin support seems kind of "meh"...auto box sets is cool and the trailers with cinema is kind of cool.  But the rest just seems kind of pointless.  That's my opinion for how i use emby and by no means a slam against any plugin developers.   Please keep up the good work.

6. And lastly user management is somewhat lacking.  I like the cinema mode using trailers but i dont want trailers to show up as a media item.  In order to turn it off universally i have to make changes to each user account in their access settings.  This is not really ideal.  No issue now since i only have a handful of users but as my user count grows this may become an issue.

Other than that small list of complaints I have nothing but praise for emby.  I actually feel somewhat spoiled.  I have my emby server on a pretty beefy unRAID box behind a Google Fiber connection so I can usually play anything on my android phone just as fast as I can Netflix.  It literally feels like i built my own personal Netflix except its better because 99.9999% of the content doesn't suck.

Almost forgot...PLEASE!!!!!...get emby ported to something like OpenELEC.  My zotac mini pc will love and thank you for it.  Windows 10 runs pretty snappy on it since i upgraded the ssd and threw an 8 GB sodimm at it but a full OS is WAY overkill for a device meant to act as an STB.

Thanks  for all the hard work!!!

• Like 1