Introduce yourself...

Airbender

Hey Everyone,

I have been using media browser since the early releases of version 2, and love it.

Actually I'm developing a plugin for DVBLink Live TV and 50 percent is done.

What's done:

- List of Channels

- Live TV

- Guide

What's left (unordered):

- Recordings

- Series

- Scheduled recordings

My knowledge is :

- C# development

- HTML and JavaScript

- Vb.net

- Database development

I'm available for other projects if you need help.

Cheers

Wow, that's quite a subdued entrance bringing that to the table!! I know a LOT of people are desperate for that plugin!!

I'm talking to you @@Spaceboy for one!!

Almost forgot.. Welcome!!

Edited by Lee

Hey Everyone,

I have been using media browser since the early releases of version 2, and love it.

Actually I'm developing a plugin for DVBLink Live TV and 50 percent is done.

What's done:

- List of Channels

- Live TV

- Guide

What's left (unordered):

- Recordings

- Series

- Scheduled recordings

My knowledge is :

- C# development

- HTML and JavaScript

- Vb.net

- Database development

I'm available for other projects if you need help.

Cheers

Welcome. If you need some help?

I did already some work for NextPvr and Argus (still in development due to not working rtsp stream)

t.andre

Thanks,

I have created a new topic in the Live TV section.

Sven I will contact you for the rtsp stream, for DVBLink I use [Raw transport stream via HTTP]

Raithlin

Hi all,

I've been using MB3 for several months, but only in the last 2 months have I started using it as my primary server for all things media-related. I love the web interface, particularly the Metadata Manager, and at home we use MBT and the Android app to stream / control DLNA clients remotely.

I'm looking forward to the imminent Android 10' release, and hoping it will work beautifully on the MyGica box I'm looking to buy. That would then replace XBMC as my primary interface on our TV.

I am also looking to give back to the community this year. I am a .Net developer by trade, so I hope to find my niche somewhere here that can help improve what is already a fantastic product. In particular, I'd love to see offline sync (a la Plex) make its way to MB3.

Edited by Raithlin
  • Like 6

swhitmore

I'd love to see offline sync (a la Plex) make its way to MB3.

We may or may not be testing this right now ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

I came across with the term MBT (when i was searching for LAV information for MPC) and was curious enough to google it. After I found out its a Media server for alot of platforms, even supports my Samsung smart TV F series, I installed it straight away. And its amazing, I can stream all my Asian series with it. 

Only thing is, my asian series are not regonize as series, so its 1 folder with all the eps from different series(a bit messy with 600 files mixed up). Hope there will be folder based listing in the future, for now I can live with playing eps by eps manually.

Glad to be able to use MB, thanks all!

swhitmore

Only thing is, my asian series are not regonize as series, so its 1 folder with all the eps from different series(a bit messy with 600 files mixed up). Hope there will be folder based listing in the future, for now I can live with playing eps by eps manually.

Welcome! How have you got your media named and structured?

Hello everyone.  I'm a long time Plex user who currently runs two Plex servers.  Here's a bit about my current setup:

4400 Movies, 8300 TV Episodes, 12K+ Music Albums, 700 Music Videos, 850 NFL Games, 700 Learning Videos

I have 4 computers dedicated to my media collection.  Currently 2 run Plex, 1 runs WMC with HDHomeRunPrimes for recording and one is a general purpose computer used for processing files, etc.

I have roughly 40TB of content and it's growing daily. My Plex servers are shared with about 25 family and friends. During prime time I often have 6 or so streaming sessions going on. I myself use web, Samsung TV Clients, xBox One, Roku and Android Clients (with Plex).

For as much as I love Plex it's becoming a "love/hate" relationship for lack of a better way to put it.  If anyone reading this is a Plex-Pass user then you can read the OP post here: https://forums.plex.tv/index.php/topic/143351-the-need-to-vent/ which sums up at a high level how I'm starting to feel about Plex.  I'm still running the two Plex servers but have recently installed MB3 and really like it so far.

Also worth noting I'm a NET/SQL developer/systems architect by trade/profession and may get involved in doing some coding.  I'm especially interested in the GPU assisted transcoding and have been working with GPU assisted encoding for a bit on the "side" with a universal "encoder/transcoder/remuxer" app I use for getting all my files in a standard format.  I have several machines with AMD and nVidia boards in them I used to using for alt-coin mining.

I've got some MB3 questions but I'll post them in another thread.  Anyway, I just wanted to stop by this thread and say hello!

Carlo

• Like 2

Hello everyone.  I'm a long time Plex user who currently runs two Plex servers.  Here's a bit about my current setup:

4400 Movies, 8300 TV Episodes, 12K+ Music Albums, 700 Music Videos, 850 NFL Games, 700 Learning Videos
I have 4 computers dedicated to my media collection.  Currently 2 run Plex, 1 runs WMC with HDHomeRunPrimes for recording and one is a general purpose computer used for processing files, etc.

I have roughly 40TB of content and it's growing daily. My Plex servers are shared with about 25 family and friends. During prime time I often have 6 or so streaming sessions going on. I myself use web, Samsung TV Clients, xBox One, Roku and Android Clients (with Plex).

For as much as I love Plex it's becoming a "love/hate" relationship for lack of a better way to put it.  If anyone reading this is a Plex-Pass user then you can read the OP post here: https://forums.plex.tv/index.php/topic/143351-the-need-to-vent/ which sums up at a high level how I'm starting to feel about Plex.  I'm still running the two Plex servers but have recently installed MB3 and really like it so far.

Also worth noting I'm a NET/SQL developer/systems architect by trade/profession and may get involved in doing some coding.  I'm especially interested in the GPU assisted transcoding and have been working with GPU assisted encoding for a bit on the "side" with a universal "encoder/transcoder/remuxer" app I use for getting all my files in a standard format.  I have several machines with AMD and nVidia boards in them I used to using for alt-coin mining.

I've got some MB3 questions but I'll post them in another thread.  Anyway, I just wanted to stop by this thread and say hello!

Carlo

Welcome Carlo, great to have you on board...

MrWebsmith

agreed welcome.. with the interest/experience it sounds like you have in codecs/bitrates/encoding, then this project really could use your thoughts in many areas... DEFINITELY work closely with @@Luke to see what sorts of open git items you should start with ;)

Nothing promised but it's my plan.  I first of course need to get MB3 up and running 100% with a few users to "flush things out" and really get my feet wet so to speak. Then over time I'll ween people off my Plex servers onto MB3.  No need to rush anything until I'm feeling 100% that the shared users will benefit from the change-over.  Right now I have a few people running xBox 360 and xBox Ones so I can't abandon them.  I don't presently have anyone using SYNC because it sucks in Plex's implementation (big time) so that's not a concern.  For me at this point from what I've seen it's most likely going to be how well MB3 scales out CPU wise when streaming to many clients at the same time.

But so far for the most part I really like what I see in functionality.  In many respects MB3 is SUPERIOR to Plex.  Collections, quicker scanning,  less polluted genre tags, ability to see missing episodes and upcoming TV Shows (really nice touch), Live TV and EPG (nothing like this in Plex).  Channels that can be shared (can't do this in plex, only the admin gets to use channels). Now if only there were more MB3 channels :)

And probably the two most important things which are open source and most importantly an open road-map where the devs actually talk about upcoming features.  You have no idea how refreshing this is from the world of Plex where everything is super hush-hush right up until launch time (assume feature works).

I really don't want to come of "knocking" plex because for the most part sans SYNCing the platform works well overall.  But I'm feeling like I'm out-growing it. I'm sure I'll hit bumps and grinds a long the way with MB3 and I expect it.  But when I look at both platforms a year ago and now today and think what both will be like 6 months from today...  We'll I'm here so that pretty much sums it up. :)

Carlo

PS Looking forward to being an active part of this community and helping others in time.

Edited by cayars

Nothing promised but it's my plan.  I first of course need to get MB3 up and running 100% with a few users to "flush things out" and really get my feet wet so to speak. Then over time I'll ween people off my Plex servers onto MB3.  No need to rush anything until I'm feeling 100% that the shared users will benefit from the change-over.  Right now I have a few people running xBox 360 and xBox Ones so I can't abandon them.  I don't presently have anyone using SYNC because it sucks in Plex's implementation (big time) so that's not a concern.  For me at this point from what I've seen it's most likely going to be how well MB3 scales out CPU wise when streaming to many clients at the same time.

But so far for the most part I really like what I see in functionality.  In many respects MB3 is SUPERIOR to Plex.  Collections, quicker scanning,  less polluted genre tags, ability to see missing episodes and upcoming TV Shows (really nice touch), Live TV and EPG (nothing like this in Plex).  Channels that can be shared (can't do this in plex, only the admin gets to use channels). Now if only there were more MB3 channels :)

And probably the two most important things which are open source and most importantly an open road-map where the devs actually talk about upcoming features.  You have no idea how refreshing this is from the world of Plex where everything is super hush-hush right up until launch time (assume feature works).

I really don't want to come of "knocking" plex because for the most part sans SYNCing the platform works well overall.  But I'm feeling like I'm out-growing it. I'm sure I'll hit bumps and grinds a long the way with MB3 and I expect it.  But when I look at both platforms a year ago and now today and think what both will be like 6 months from today...  We'll I'm here so that pretty much sums it up. :)

Carlo

PS Looking forward to being an active part of this community and helping others in time.

What channels do you need? :)

All of them :)

On a serious note.  Some of the really cool channels are things like NFL (game rewind), (baseball, hockey, basketball), espn channels.

Your basic channels like ABC, CBS, NBC, Showtime, HBO, etc.

If you have access, take a look at channels available for Plex, Playon or better yet for Roku for ideas of popular ones.

Carlo

PS not thinking of things along the lines of Netflix, Hulo, Amazon Prime

Edited by cayars

Oh, btw, it's not like we NEED TO HAVE them.  But with the right set of channels then someone can setup MB3, add a few channels and immediately have content available while they build up their library.

That in itself is a very good thing.

Carlo

• 2 weeks later...
NWGiles

Hi

I'm Simon, GIles is a longstanding nickname

I used the DNLA featurs of my synology NAS for years then recently decided there must be a prettier way.

A quick google, which went deep very quickly.

Found MB had a free trial of server, set it up. Liked it, even works with my windows phone!

Liked it that much a built it a dedicated machine, and donated.

Keep up the good work

thanks

• Like 1

spootdev

Spootdev here....or Spoot for short.  I try to be a Norbert but generally life treats me as a Daggett.  :)

Just started using MB3 around two weeks ago after Plex pissed me off.  So far liking the community about a 1,000% more and the fact the devs actually listen to you and don't come off as abrasive is a good thing.

Work involves admin of VMWare, Data Domains, SANs, AIX, Linux, Fibre network, EMR support x3, and backups via Netbackup and Networker so there is always sumthing broken that's a thorn in my side.  lol

Was a full-time developer earlier in my career and hope to submit some small GIT pull-requests soon.

• Like 2

Hello All,

I am new to the media server/steaming world!

I was looking at building a PLEX server, until I was recommended to go with MB3.  I am excited to be here and learn more about MB3 as it grows with the community!

Would someone mind pointing me in the right direction for the minimum requirements to setup and run a MediaBrower Server and Theater?  The system requirements link seems to be broken.  I am looking to store my server in my network closet and stream to two maybe three devices at one.  

Thanks all!

• Like 1

Hello All,

I am new to the media server/steaming world!

I was looking at building a PLEX server, until I was recommended to go with MB3.  I am excited to be here and learn more about MB3 as it grows with the community!

Would someone mind pointing me in the right direction for the minimum requirements to setup and run a MediaBrower Server and Theater?  The system requirements link seems to be broken.  I am looking to store my server in my network closet and stream to two maybe three devices at one.  

Thanks all!

Welcome! Where did you see that link? I'd like to fix it. Our new wiki is here:

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Quick%20start

Hello all,

I'm a long-time Plex/Plexpass user, very excited to see a thriving open source solution. My current setup is a Mac Mini as a dedicated media server, a 20TB NAS, Cisco small-business network and a few Mac Minis currently running Plex Home Theatre as set top boxes in the living rooms. Also have a few Nexus 7s on Android for the kids while on the move.

Having learned about this only 24 hours ago, I have to say I am very impressed by what I see so far. Only thing I miss deeply is a Mac version of the MB Theater. Hope that's on someone's todo-list, or someone else would at least also be interested..

Sadly I am not a programmer, but look forward to help any other way I can.

-Florux