IPTV mapping and channel numbers

grizlyadams

grizlyadams

"How hard can it be?" I thought, so subscribed to an IPTV provider, got the M3u file/url....

...and then spent 3 days trying to figure out how to map the channels :(  :(  :( . Who knew doing a simple "leave these channels out and of the ones that are left this channel in emby = this channel in my m3u" was going to be sooooooo convoluted and such a pita?!

I have emby running on Unraid in a docker with xsteve also in a docker.

So far I have tried :-

xtream (xeev)

xteve Homerun (no mapping in xsteve, but can at least filter)

xteve xmltv - has mapping and filterinf at least probably the closest to usable i have so far

xsteve is S-L-O-O-O-O-O-W-W-W to the point of being unusable and would take days to map all the channels.

My m3u has no channel numbers - is it channel numbers that emby needs to channel map? Where do i get channel numbers to add to the m3u file )using something like tantrum IPTV editor) - is that even what I should e doing? 

I feel like what I want is simple but, man, am I wasting some time without getting anywhere and pretty much going round in circles.

Is there a definitive (step-by-step preferably) guide to this anywhere that you could point me to?

tifelspazjali

well first of all you should reply @ luke and tell him how appalling the native emby functionality is. when enough of us do that he may actually fulfil his promises of delivering on channel management. clearly not in 2019 though, that ship has sailed and docked at the other end of its journey.

second, xteve is not bad when you know how to use it. yes it will take a while, probably took me 4/5 hours over a couple of days to map 3-400 channels. but the plus side is i did that once over a year ago and havent touched it since. since then i have enjoyed my iptv, i havent had to reconfigure it several times due to emby problems, i havent had to re set up all my recordings as a result of emby problems, i can record shows for which there is no epg with xteve's dummy feature. it really has actually allowed me to enjoy emby rather than rant about it on a regular basis :)

as i recall it can be slow if you are waiting for it to update if you have filters on in the mapping screen. don't do that.persist with xteve xmltv. its the best option.

• Like 1

kanipek

"How hard can it be?" I thought, so subscribed to an IPTV provider, got the M3u file/url....

...and then spent 3 days trying to figure out how to map the channels :(  :(  :( . Who knew doing a simple "leave these channels out and of the ones that are left this channel in emby = this channel in my m3u" was going to be sooooooo convoluted and such a pita?!

I have emby running on Unraid in a docker with xsteve also in a docker.

So far I have tried :-

xtream (xeev)

xteve Homerun (no mapping in xsteve, but can at least filter)

xteve xmltv - has mapping and filterinf at least probably the closest to usable i have so far

xsteve is S-L-O-O-O-O-O-W-W-W to the point of being unusable and would take days to map all the channels.

My m3u has no channel numbers - is it channel numbers that emby needs to channel map? Where do i get channel numbers to add to the m3u file )using something like tantrum IPTV editor) - is that even what I should e doing? 

I feel like what I want is simple but, man, am I wasting some time without getting anywhere and pretty much going round in circles.

Is there a definitive (step-by-step preferably) guide to this anywhere that you could point me to?

I feel your pain.

There are a few methods to accomplish what you are trying to do.

1. I would begin with editing that M3U and removing channels that you won't be using. You can do this with notepad ++ or any other editor. Just take care to not screw up the formatting of the file.

2. Channel numbers - here again there are couple methods to accomplish this. I think for ease of use and long term "not having to do anything" xTeve is the way you want to go. Initial setup takes

a bit of time, but once that is done your gold. Just make sure that when you are done setting everything up you point Emby to the files (M3U/XMLTV) that xTeve generates and not to the xTeve web/server.

If you are providing your own guide data through Schedules Direct you could use epg123 and using the custom lineup feature accomplish the same (channel management) as with xTeve.

3. From what I have read here Emby looks for a few different "things" for mapping the channels. And what it is looking at varies depending on the guide data type you are using. @@Luke is that correct?

4. There is no definitive guide for setting this up. But the Emby FAQ/Wiki for this is pretty good - much better that in the past. Best bet is the FAQ/Wiki and asking here on the forums.

• Like 1

grizlyadams

@@tifelspazjali [emoji2957] I do feel like emby is the monster in the corner sometimes (offline download frustrated me for years, then I just gave up using it) - I use it every day and like most of it, but I know if I make the decision to add/enhance, I will lose many hours if not days.

Xteve (steve!) Seems ok, but it is so slow on unraid - I wonder if I can set it up on another box and move the config to the unraid box once done...

Edited by grizlyadams
  • Like 1

grizlyadams

@@kanipek thanks.

My problem with xteve is that it's so slow in my unraid/docker that it would take me too long...

So there is no emby EPG data we can look at to help edit the channels /m3u to get the mapping right? (Seems to me that simply having a channel number list to map would solve the whole problem - much like Media Center used to do, in its own clunky, but useable, way)

I'm guessing xteve is probably the best way as the m3u can change so editing it before using it means manuallly updating it in the future.

Heigh ho.

• Like 1

@@kanipek thanks.

My problem with xteve is that it's so slow in my unraid/docker that it would take me too long...

So there is no emby EPG data we can look at to help edit the channels /m3u to get the mapping right? (Seems to me that simply having a channel number list to map would solve the whole problem - much like Media Center used to do, in its own clunky, but useable, way)

I'm guessing xteve is probably the best way as the m3u can change so editing it before using it means manuallly updating it in the future.

Heigh ho.

Hi.  Didn't wherever you got your m3u url also provide a guide data url?  There would be no problem with channel mapping if you use their data.

grizlyadams

Hi. Didn't wherever you got your m3u url also provide a guide data url? There would be no problem with channel mapping if you use their data.

Unfortunately not. I'll follow up with them and see if I can get it as they obviously have it for their own standalone iptv app.

tifelspazjali

Unfortunately not. I'll follow up with them and see if I can get it as they obviously have it for their own standalone iptv app.

they will, the problem here is that their guide data will be 1 or at most 2 days worth. so not really much help

my approach is epg123 plus Schedules Direct for epg data via xmltv and then mapping in xteve

• Like 1

kanipek

@@kanipek thanks.

Heigh ho.

@@tifelspazjali [emoji2957] I do feel like emby is the monster in the corner sometimes (offline download frustrated me for years, then I just gave up using it) - I use it every day and like most of it, but I know if I make the decision to add/enhance, I will lose many hours if not days.

Xteve (steve!) Seems ok, but it is so slow on unraid - I wonder if I can set it up on another box and move the config to the unraid box once done...

I don't see any reason why you couldn't run xTeve on a separate box and then either copy its M3U/XMLTV files to the Emby box or possibly point Emby to the network location of those files.

• Like 1

kanipek

@@kanipek thanks.

Some where in LiveTV thread here someone found exactly what needed to be used to get the Emby Guide to automap the channels.

I will try and find it and let you know. It was dealing with tvg-id=  And what tvg-id= Emby Guide data is looking for to have a match

• Like 1

grizlyadams

my approach is epg123 plus Schedules Direct for epg data via xmltv and then mapping in xteve

Could you elaborate on that a bit more please ? SD is paid subs, correct? Why do you then need xteve? Does SD not do channel mapping?

tifelspazjali

Could you elaborate on that a bit more please ? SD is paid subs, correct? Why do you then need xteve? Does SD not do channel mapping?

Sd only provide the data. No mapping or software at all

tifelspazjali

Some where in LiveTV thread here someone found exactly what needed to be used to get the Emby Guide to automap the channels.

I will try and find it and let you know. It was dealing with tvg-id= And what tvg-id= Emby Guide data is looking for to have a match

The problem here is you need to go through and manually insert Emby’s expected tvgid for every channel into the m3u. Which is effectively what xteve does but in a far less nice way. It also doesn’t allow for updates of the m3u from your provider Edited by tifelspazjali
  • Like 1

kanipek

The problem here is you need to go through and manually insert Emby’s expected tvgid for every channel into the m3u. Which is effectively what xteve does but in a far less nice way. It also doesn’t allow for updates of the m3u from your provider

Every method will have problems.

Yes provider M3U's do change from time to time - so this is something that needs to be accounted for in whatever method is selected.

xTeve from my experience is no better or worse than any of the methods people choose. They all require a bit of time to set up. Maintain.

kanipek

In a perfect world getting the guide data from SD would be all that was necessary. Emby would map automatically with maybe a few left to manually map.

Out of the box with SD and Emby(WMC too back in the day) mapping channels for me was non existent.

I also use epg123 with SD. If you take the time to set it up with a custom lineup you will get 100 percent channel mapping in Emby. Can set it up to use your own channel numbers and logos if you desire.

SD is $25 per year.

xTeve is just another of the methods people choose to provide some type of channel management.

tifelspazjali

Every method will have problems.

Yes provider M3U's do change from time to time - so this is something that needs to be accounted for in whatever method is selected.

xTeve from my experience is no better or worse than any of the methods people choose. They all require a bit of time to set up. Maintain.

well seeing as one of the main reasons for taking an iptv sub is to watch, lets say, live sporting events then the method you are suggesting negates that. the updates are on almost a daily basis

and as i say. no they do not all take the same time to maintain. i havent touched xteve in the year that ive been using it

Edited by tifelspazjali

kanipek

well seeing as one of the main reasons for taking an iptv sub is to watch, lets say, live sporting events then the method you are suggesting negates that. the updates are on almost a daily basis

and as i say. no they do not all take the same time to maintain. i havent touched xteve in the year that ive been using it

Sporting events/channels yeah BIG headache.

How are you configured with Emby/xTeve - using the xTeve generated files or pointing Emby to the xTeve server?

Are you able to provide data for those channels? I gave it a go but to me it was more trouble than it was worth(sports) and the provider epg was of little use for the various sports channels, except the more common ones.

grizlyadams

This thread is absolute confirmation of what I said in my first post ...

Red wine beckons - I'll leave it for a day or two.

tifelspazjali

Sporting events/channels yeah BIG headache.

How are you configured with Emby/xTeve - using the xTeve generated files or pointing Emby to the xTeve server?

Are you able to provide data for those channels? I gave it a go but to me it was more trouble than it was worth(sports) and the provider epg was of little use for the various sports channels, except the more common ones.

you were 100% right in recommending pointing at the files rather than the server. i learned that the hard way. lost all my guide because xteve had stopped running. but since setting it to run as a service and pointing emby at the resultant xteve m3u and xmltv it really has been flawless for just over a year now.

sporting events also work well for me. a very kind person here wrote me a powershell script that downloads the provider m3u and inserts a reference so that xteve knows that although the channel name has changed it should retain the channel and update the channel name. the channel name is the name of the sporting event. then using xteve's dummy epg data feature i can also create epg for those channels.

i even use xteve to combine my iptv m3u with an m3u from a local dvbviewer installation.

there are still some gaps that arent answered by xteve but i'm struggling to recall them now. it really is that good

tifelspazjali

This thread is absolute confirmation of what I said in my first post ...

Red wine beckons - I'll leave it for a day or two.

:) and i'l confirm what i said in my first post. if you want it easy you should harass the main dev here who has done nothing to improve the situation. But i would still predict you be waiting another year at least.

xteve with xmltv is the right way to go imo, but yes it will take you a few days. but for me who probably uses emby for live and recorded tv 90% of the time that investment was worthwhile

• Like 1

kanipek

sporting events also work well for me. a very kind person here wrote me a powershell script that downloads the provider m3u and inserts a reference so that xteve knows that although the channel name has changed it should retain the channel and update the channel name. the channel name is the name of the sporting event. then using xteve's dummy epg data feature i can also create epg for those channels.

I would love to get a look at that script. Like to compare it to what I am doing. :rolleyes:

grizlyadams

how do you use just the xteve m3u file rather than having xteve running? just tried and the file i created has the xteve url in the m3u so it has to be running even if it passes off the url to the client on channel change.

tifelspazjali

how do you use just the xteve m3u file rather than having xteve running? just tried and the file i created has the xteve url in the m3u so it has to be running even if it passes off the url to the client on channel change.

well, i would recommend just running xteve as a service using nssm so its always going and this is moot.

but if you really dont want it running all the time you should try v1 of xteve. this requirement only came in for xteve v2. i can't seem to find v1 but all you need is the .exe and i have that. i could put it somewhere for you to download if you like

• Like 1

grizlyadams

I have it running in a Linux docker - I'll finish setting it up like that and see how I get on.

Having some issues with SchedulesDirect EPG from more than one country at the moment (it gets the channel info fine but not the EPG data for the second country. Will let it run thru an overnight cron run and see if that fixes it.