Any plans to update the UI?

TroyKing

TroyKing

Compared to other apps in other devices it seems like the Apple TV is very behind when it comes to the user interface. Any plans to update it to maybe how the Android TV app looks?

• Like 1

Hi.  It would be helpful if you described specifically what you are after but as to general "look and feel" that is largely governed by this particular platform.  For instance, menus, the way tiles look and operate, etc.

As for features, yes, we will continue to work on bringing this app up to the others.

TroyKing

Well for example it would be nice to have a proper dark mode. And don’t get me wrong it does get darker but the Android TV dark interface is more elegant and I love the feature where the screen backdrop changes as you browse through the movies. I personally don’t have an Android TV I’ve just seen screenshots and videos on the matter

I’m not sure if it is even possible since I know is two different operating systems. It was just an idea. I do appreciate the fact that you guys are always open to hear feedback. Thanks for the hard work

levander

First of all I would strongly disagree that anything Android looks more elegant than anything Apple. I prefer emby on Apple TV even when it’s not working.

But there’s no point comparing those devices and their OS in that regard anyway.

Apple TV’s main TV app is good example what emby app could be and look like (@ebr). Take the best out of it. For example long press click menu is non existent in emby app and it is very useful feature on Apple TV. 

Edited by levander
  • Like 3

Apple TV’s main TV app is good example what emby app could be and look like (@ebr). Take the best out of it. For example long press click menu is non existent in emby app and it is very useful feature on Apple TV. 

That's been on my radar to explore (long press) @@levander I just haven't had the time to look into it yet.

• Like 2

AdrianW

I only use ET, but I've looked at the Apple TV app and find it's look and feel to be streets ahead of ET. If the Apple TV app had frame rate matching I'd probably switch to that instead of ET.

vdatanet

I only use ET, but I've looked at the Apple TV app and find it's look and feel to be streets ahead of ET. If the Apple TV app had frame rate matching I'd probably switch to that instead of ET.

You have frame rate and dynamic range matching using native player in latest Emby for Apple TV beta, but at this time, HEVC playback is very limited. It's to early to switch to Emby for Apple TV. You can do that if you don't mind to be a beta tester.

If the MVP player for Emby for Apple TV was well implemented, the result would be very close to ET, but currently it has many shortcomings. The main lack is frame rate and dynamic range matching and wrong color profiles when playing 4K HDR content.

Have you considered using Nvidia Shield as an alternative?

Edited by vdatanet

AdrianW

Have you considered using Nvidia Shield as an alternative?

No. I'm not buying another device. I have a NUC and an Apple TV, I've no need for a Shield, and don't they come with their own set of issues?

sfatula

The apple TV Beta does have frame rate matching, as long as you use the built in player (not mpv). That ends up playing virtually everything, but, often with transcoding since it can't play mkv for example. If you have a NUC just for your household, likely would work perfectly fine, I used to use one too. The built in player does do frame rate matching.

vdatanet

No. I'm not buying another device. I have a NUC and an Apple TV, I've no need for a Shield, and don't they come with their own set of issues?

So, you will have to keep using your NUC. Apple TV is not an option (using Emby) compared to a NUC.

sfatula

So, you will have to keep using your NUC. Apple TV is not an option (using Emby) compared to a NUC.

I was assuming NIC would be his Emby server, in which case the ATV app is fine now as long as he doesn't mind transcoding. Simply read the Android section of the forums, yes, they do have their own set of issues. I also disdain multiple devices as there is very little I would be able to use the shield for, too many apps on the Apple TV. that we use. 

Edited by sfatula

Spaceboy

not sure what issues you think the shield has? It’s a dream compared to the Apple TV app and I reluctantly say that as a favourer of Apple hardware

AdrianW

not sure what issues you think the shield has? 

I remember reading something a while ago, just not what it was. Perhaps it was the lack of frame rate matching, but that appears to have been added.

vdatanet

I remember reading something a while ago, just not what it was. Perhaps it was the lack of frame rate matching, but that appears to have been added.

For me it's a perfect alternative, my main device is Apple TV and I use Nvidia Shield as fallback device (because I like tvOS and I dislike Android TV). I only miss HDR to SDR tone mapping in Nvidia Shield, but it's planned. Some players available for Apple TV can tone map HDR to SDR. I have some friends with 4K SDR projectors where tone mapping is importart. Even if the projector supports HDR, they get better results setting the projector to SDR and tone mapping HDR to SDR.

Edit.- HDR to SDR tone mapping it's planned at hardware level, I don't mean it's planned in Emby app for Android TV.

Edited by vdatanet

Frame rate switching has been supported in Android TV for quite a while.  Ever since it was possible in Android, in fact :).

unisoft

Frame rate switching has been supported in Android TV for quite a while.  Ever since it was possible in Android, in fact :).

Can we fix the numerous issues with the Apple TV client please before sodding around with changing themes or UI to make Apple look like Android (!) :)

The Apple TV client could be a shining beacon for Emby. Its UI is great - but the bugs in the UI like TV logos not resizing properly, the guide layout, the lack of 24p switching, de-interlacing (or should that be deinterlacing interlaced content that should be shown as interlaced instead of progressive at the same frame rate instead of doubling it?).

Also music artists sort order bug, where for me, artists beginning "B" and "C" appear at the very end of the list of artists when all other Emby apps show sort correctly and Windows Media Center/Media Player etc. - update; SORTING NOW FIXED.

Edited by unisoft
  • Like 4