Add Forced Subtitles only option for automatic subtitle downloading

digitalirony

digitalirony

If you go to an individual Movie or show, and click on Edit subtitles, there is an option to return only Forced subtitles.

This option is not available in subtitle configuration in the Library section.

Would be great if this could be added there, so only download forced subtitles for shows/movies. 

Or better would be to add it as an option of "Forced subtitles for language matching audio language". 

Seems most of this functionality is already in place, just needs to be linked up.

If it helps, I would like to offer a bounty on this option.

I can personally add $100 to bounty for it.

• Like 20

• 4 months later...
  • 9 months later...
rcoodey

Just wanted to add my +1 for this feature. Forced subtitles have always been my biggest pain point and if emby could just auto download those that would be awesome. Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
JohnnyFiama
3 hours ago, Spaceboy said:

bazarr

Yes, but that adds undesirable system complexity.  Emby has everything required to make this work, things just need to be wired up.

Spaceboy
8 minutes ago, JohnnyFiama said:

Yes, but that adds undesirable system complexity.  Emby has everything required to make this work, things just need to be wired up.

well it all depends on how much you want it. bazarr today, emby some point in the future possibly. coming round to the 2 year birthday of this request 🎂

• Haha 4

9 hours ago, Luke said:

This option will be added in Emby Server 4.7. Thanks.

You just made my day as the number one issue I have always had was getting forced subs only... Looking forward to it. Thanks @Luke

• 2 years later...
SynesthesiaBruh

Hey @Luke, was this ever implemented in 4.7? I'm on 4.8.3 using the Apple silicon version of Emby Server and can't find it in the settings anywhere. 

I have a bunch of movies I wiped all subtitles from because I kept having issues with Emby not direct playing things due to the type of subtitle file was in use IIRC and I probably shouldn't have lol. It had something to do with my Apple TV not supporting the subtitle's file format or something but Emby would not be able to direct play most of my 4k content. So having Emby automatically downloading and playing JUST forced subtitles would really be game changing. Obviously downloading/playing only forced subtitles in the proper file type for the device it's being played on.

5 minutes ago, SynesthesiaBruh said:

Hey @Luke, was this ever implemented in 4.7? I'm on 4.8.3 using the Apple silicon version of Emby Server and can't find it in the settings anywhere. 

I have a bunch of movies I wiped all subtitles from because I kept having issues with Emby not direct playing things due to the type of subtitle file was in use IIRC and I probably shouldn't have lol. It had something to do with my Apple TV not supporting the subtitle's file format or something but Emby would not be able to direct play most of my 4k content. So having Emby automatically downloading and playing JUST forced subtitles would really be game changing. Obviously downloading/playing only forced subtitles in the proper file type for the device it's being played on.

hI, yes, it is in the library settings where you enable automatic subtitle downloading.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
SynesthesiaBruh

@Luke

Hi thanks. I'm able to find what subtitles to play automatically:

image.thumb.png.86fb3df43523597a633a7bed27d30e94.png

But I'm not able to find where to auto download forced subtitles if the movie doesn't have the forced subtitle file. It should be in that "Subtitles" section, no?

Happy2Play
13 minutes ago, SynesthesiaBruh said:

But I'm not able to find where to auto download forced subtitles if the movie doesn't have the forced subtitle file. It should be in that "Subtitles" section, no?

Sort of an either or when it comes to subtitles or forced subs.  As it is a per library setup option.

image.png.5f936ec7aca880879df1e54dc1f065a1.png

• Like 1

Spaceboy

use Bazarr. it has this and other functions that emby subs fetching does not