Filter by Decade

denzoid

arrbee99

Oh believe me, I don't have any trouble confusing myself...but anyway, as of 5 minutes ago I see this in Movies -

EmbyGroupitemsintoCollections1.thumb.jpg.7c8a93f04039f9b5162db4ccce0f3e7b.jpg

As you can see its got Decade collections, ordinary collections and ordinary movies (with group Items into collections ticked). As far as I can see / remember, I created Decades collections by adding movies to them manually, so those Decades collections are out of date, the individual movies just appear cause I forget to add them to the Decade collections.

arrbee99
7 minutes ago, GrimReaper said:

At least that's how I understood this:

38 minutes ago, arrbee99 said:

then the movies would only appear in my Decade Collections, so no Aliens, Harry Potter, Indiana Jones, Spiderman etc collections, just those 11 decade ones would show.

Yes, that was just wrong.

GrimReaper
2 minutes ago, arrbee99 said:

As you can see its got Decade collections, ordinary collections and ordinary movies (with group Items into collections ticked). As far as I can see / remember, I created Decades collections by adding movies to them manually, so those Decades collections are out of date, the individual movies just appear cause I forget to add them to the Decade collections.

So I don't quite understand what is the issue you're having?

rbjtech
10 minutes ago, arrbee99 said:

Oh believe me, I don't have any trouble confusing myself...but anyway, as of 5 minutes ago I see this in Movies -

EmbyGroupitemsintoCollections1.thumb.jpg.7c8a93f04039f9b5162db4ccce0f3e7b.jpg

So if you add 'The Abyss' into your 1980's collection - I'm presuming all 4 will disappear from the screen right ?

If yes, then that seems a very odd way to do this - other than by searching, you need to KNOW what decade a movie is in to browse it ?

Showing all movies - or existing collections - and then just applying a 'filter' for the decade you want (which will then show all the individual movies for that decade AND any collection where one or more movies is from that Decade) - is surely a better solution ?

Edited by rbjtech

arrbee99
1 minute ago, GrimReaper said:

So I don't quite understand what is the issue you're having?

Good question...I think it was, there's no filter by decade (obviously), and the workaround helped but I wanted to have Decades collections (that being the workaround) plus ordinary collections plus individual items showing up in Movies. So I guess its having a movie showing up in its decade collection as well as showing up individually in Movies, not either / or.

GrimReaper
8 minutes ago, arrbee99 said:

So I guess its having a movie showing up in its decade collection as well as showing up individually in Movies, not either / or.

Having movies shown both in any collection AND individually was never supported, when "Group items into collections" was selected, regardless is it Decades Collection or any other franchise collection - it was always or.

Edit: FWIW I never keep that grouping, as Collections tab is just a click away and Decades collections are listed first in the list, so: individual movies in main movies library, Decades collections a tab/single click away.

Edited by GrimReaper
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

arrbee99
1 minute ago, rbjtech said:

So if you add 'The Abyss' into your 1980's collection - I'm presuming all 4 will disappear from the screen right ?

If yes, then that seems a very odd way to do this - other than by searching, you need to KNOW what decade a movie is in to browse it ?

Showing all movies - or existing collections - and then just applying a 'filter' for the decade you want (which will then show all the individual movies for that decade AND any collection where a movie is from that Decade also) - is surely a better solution ?

Hence (I thought) effectively having movies showing up in two places, in a collection and individually. Though you're right, maybe I was somehow expecting different treatment for movies depending on whether they end up in normal Indiana Jones type collections vs Decade collections.

So yes applying a filter as you described does sound much better.

• Like 1

arrbee99

I think I'm just going to delete my Decades collections, I'm never going to remember to add stuff to them and it just confuses the issue (well OK, me).

2 hours ago, arrbee99 said:

I think I'm just going to delete my Decades collections, I'm never going to remember to add stuff to them and it just confuses the issue (well OK, me).

Have you tried experimenting with the Smart Playlists 2.0 plug-in? It can auto-create collections as well as playlists. It also can be set to auto-update, so you don't need to remember to add new items to the collection, once set up. I just did a very quick movie test with the following rules:

movietest.thumb.jpg.d29e914c6bdb1609e22ad5692cd462c3.jpg

With my very limited movie collection in Emby (at the moment), it returned the following "2010s" collection:

moviedecadetest.thumb.jpg.88562eb8ad92e3475d66b02047365ef9.jpg

Check out the dedicated plug-in forum topic to find out a lot more. (In the latest version there are a few non-critical bugs and sometimes you need to refresh your page to get it to work).

I've been using it successfully for Music Playlists, but haven't got it work nicely for Music Album Collections, as yet...

arrbee99

'Have you tried experimenting with the Smart Playlists 2.0 plug-in?'

- no I haven't but I'll certainly be giving it a good once over (possibly several times in fact...) now that you've mentioned it.

On 4/21/2024 at 7:40 PM, arrbee99 said:

'Have you tried experimenting with the Smart Playlists 2.0 plug-in?'

- no I haven't but I'll certainly be giving it a good once over (possibly several times in fact...) now that you've mentioned it.

It really works quite well, definitely give it a try.

arrbee99
20 minutes ago, denzoid said:

It really works quite well, definitely give it a try.

I was thinking maybe I'd end up with something similar to way I was doing things...auto updating is good, but I'd still end up with every movie in a decade collection if I enable the Group Items into Collections thing (which I'd prefer to do).

Junglejim
7 hours ago, arrbee99 said:

I was thinking maybe I'd end up with something similar to way I was doing things...auto updating is good, but I'd still end up with every movie in a decade collection if I enable the Group Items into Collections thing (which I'd prefer to do).

I think you will enjoy smart playlists but they are just playlists/collections after all. Plus they are not displayed as a filtered library would be (playlist view etc.).

Filtering with tags sound promising, I run docker so that could be somewhat confusing.. 🤔

I wish the devs could just add this filter to core server. 🥺

Anzac Day tomorrow, have a good one! Up for the dawn service? :)

Edited by Junglejim

arrbee99

Well, hopefully rbjtech will be working more magic soon with tags...

Anzac Day I must admit reminds me how brave others can be - me, I'm not so sure...