Question about subtitle modes

Hoochee

Hoochee

I've been struggling with subtitles for a while and would now like to get them working.

Win 10 running 4.4.0.4 beta (will be updating to 4.4.0.6

Subtitles set to preferred language: English and Mode: Smart

I thought my problem was mp4s and mkvs where the Audio language was Und but I used mp4box to correct one of the mp4s and Smart subs are still not working. The Revenant (2015) is the movie and there is intermittent non-English dialogue; however, the subtitles play for all dialogue or none, depending on how I set CC once the movie starts.

What am I missing that's prohibiting Smart subtitles from working correctly?

post-387041-0-78370500-1578413353_thumb.jpg

Edited by Hoochee

Hoochee

Hi, did you read the help text for the smart option?

If you're referring to "Subtitles matching the language preference will be loaded when the audio is in a foreign language."? then Yes, I did. To me that means subs will be displayed only when the audio is in a foreign language. Preferred language is set to English so subs should only appear when dialogue is not English.

Assuming I'm misunderstanding the Smart help text and it's actually an all or nothing subtitle load, instead of being based on scene dialogue language, why would subs be loaded at all since the Audio is tagged English? 

Edited by Hoochee

If the audio is english, and your audio preference is english, then with the smart subtitle mode they would not be loaded.

• 3 weeks later...

@@Luke confirming I was mistaken that the help text meant subtitles would be shown for only non-English scenes/dialogue? If the media file audio tag is English then I need to turn on subs and they will play for the entire movie? Unless I get a sub file with translations for only the non-English dialogue. 

• 2 years later...
horstepipe

sorry I need to ask again as it isn't 100% clear to me:

If I set subtitles to "smart", will forced subtitles in my preferred subtitle language (and marked as forced) be automatically enabled if the audio language corresponds to my preferred audio language?

If yes, good.

If no, why wouldn't somebody want to see forced subtitles?

Edited by horstepipe

GrimReaper
5 minutes ago, horstepipe said:

sorry I need to ask again as it isn't 100% clear to me:

If I set subtitles to "smart", will forced subtitles in my preferred subtitle language (and marked as forced) be automatically enabled if the audio language corresponds to my preferred audio language?

No. If you set "Smart" mode, subtitles in your preferred language will be pre-selected if item audio is different than your preferred audio language. 

horstepipe
26 minutes ago, GrimReaper said:

No. If you set "Smart" mode, subtitles in your preferred language will be pre-selected if item audio is different than your preferred audio language. 

But if audio language is set to English and there a Russian spoken parts in the movie...
That's what forced subtitles are there for so these should always be enabled shouldn't they?

GrimReaper
2 minutes ago, horstepipe said:

But if audio language is set to English and there a Russian spoken parts in the movie...
That's what forced subtitles are there for so these should always be enabled shouldn't they?

"Smart" doesn't know if there are or there are not foreign parts within the movie, it only compares audio track with your preferred language. 

Maybe an example for "Smart" mode: if your preferred audio language is German, and you watch movie with German audio - it is considered you DO understand that language and no subtitles are needed; but if you watch a movie with Spanish audio, it is assumed you DON'T understand that language hence your preferred language subtitles will be pre-selected. 

If you want forced or default subtitles to show, there are separate modes for that. 

• Thanks 1

horstepipe

understood, but what I'd like to see is "smart" + "forced subtitles in the preferred language". Will open a feature request for adding that option.

• Agree 1

horstepipe
2 minutes ago, GrimReaper said:

Isn't that what "Only forced" already does? 

yes but then I lose the smart feature so if I switch to english audio I don't get german subtitles by default

Edited by horstepipe

GrimReaper

yes but then I lose the smart feature so if I switch to english audio I don't get german subtitles by default

Why don't you go with "Always show" German, then? It'll give you German subs on all movies, full subs for foreign and forced for German audio (if present)? 

horstepipe
1 minute ago, GrimReaper said:

Why don't you go with "Always show" German, then? It'll give you German subs on all movies, full subs for foreign and forced for German audio (if present)? 

maybe I'm messing something up currently, but if I set it to "always show" this would show full German subtitles even if audio is set to German?

GrimReaper

I was under the impression you have forced german subs with your german audio movies, tbh don't know which would take precedence in case both forced and full subs are present, @Luke?

Anyway, easy to test on one item. 

horstepipe
3 minutes ago, GrimReaper said:

Anyway, easy to test on one item. 

I'm currently having a subtitle problem at all so I can't reliably test it at the moment. The topic here came to my mind while investigating my main issue.

Edited by horstepipe

horstepipe
2 minutes ago, GrimReaper said:

I was under the impression you have forced german subs with your german audio movies, tbh don't know which would take precedence in case both forced and full subs are present, @Luke?

In most movies I have both, German full and German forced, forced are marked as default.

Edited by horstepipe

GrimReaper

here is the FR with some examples

Yeah, that makes sense. 

• Thanks 1