New Network

Sammy

Sammy

So here's the deal..

I've been using Asus AiMesh for quite some time with an RT-AC3100 and three RT-AC68u's (two converted T-Mobile TM-AC1900's and my original RT-AC68u). Over the course of the last year I've had issues with Spectrum not dishing out a valid HDCP IP address and my router going to carp with my having to reset and restore from backup, causing hours of headache.

A couple of weeks ago I broke down and got a Router from the Spectrum Store and spend more hours setting the thing up with its lousy UI and limited settings but my network is now up and running again.

I'm done with consumer stuff and am going to sell the Asus Routers which will probably put a decent dent into going prosumer..

I'm thinking Ubiquiti but am not quite sure what hardware to start with. I figure I need a gateway and at least one AP, hopefully Wireless but I can do some pulls to go wired if needed. I should also note that I converted old Cat 5e phone lines in my house to a wired network that covers a good portion of the house, except the dining room and entry area, which are also the furthest from my WiFi Router currently as I don't have the RT-AC68's in Mesh Mode with a wired back haul nearby any longer. This conversion is in a daisy chain fashion with a Gig Switch in each bedroom to move the signal on to the next bedroom. This is not ideal but it is the best I could do as there are no home runs in this existing cabling. I'd like to continue using these unmanaged switches so as to not lay out additional cash.

I am also thinking of pFsense but know even less about it than Ubiquiti except that I believe it even costs more for the hardware. I could be wrong. Either way the infrastructure would be similar in that I want to continue using the unmanagaed switches as described above.

So if you go all TL/DR on me at least read this! I am looking for suggestions to upgrade my network.

TIA

Guest asrequested

I have both a USG and pfsense. One behind the other. The Unifi stuff is nice. Highly recommend them. Easy to use, too.

• Like 1

Sammy

I have both a USG and pfsense. One behind the other. The Unifi stuff is nice. Highly recommend them. Easy to use, too.

Tell me more about USG. Also if using UniFi what components do I need to get? How does pfSense even work? Thanks again!

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Guest asrequested

USG is Unfi Security Gatway, that's the Unifi product you'd need. There are a few different models. I have the Pro 4. That and pfsense are both enterprise firwall/router/gateways. What you get will depend on what you are trying to accomplish. Both are great, but are obviously different. I use both, not only for a double firewall, but I have different functions for each of them.

• Like 1

BAlGaInTl

I've often thought about this myself.  I currently use a mesh of Google OnHubs.  It actually provides excellent coverage and stability, but lacks some functionality.

I'm kind of waiting to see if Synology might update their stuff.... great features and stability without having to go full prosumer.

I would just get a new router, but you lose the mesh capability if you run the Google Mesh with a different router.

mastrmind11

+1 for Unifi gear.  I've got a USG at the edge of my network, a managed switch behind that, and a NanoHD on my 2nd floor which covers my entire (3000 sq ft) house all the way to the basement.  Wonderful products with great features.

Sammy

+1 for Unifi gear. I've got a USG at the edge of my network, a managed switch behind that, and a NanoHD on my 2nd floor which covers my entire (3000 sq ft) house all the way to the basement. Wonderful products with great features.

How much does a set up like that set me back? Is the Nano HD wired? Does it need a PoE injector?

It sounds like exactly what I need for my 2700 square foot house and property.

Sammy

To help with the design of this system, here is my current network in red and my proposed network in green. I figure I'm going to need to pull ethernet from the bonus room on the second floor to the ceiling over the stairs to install the AP but a few things come to mind. Can the AP be fed through a couple of non-PoE unmanaged switches? Do I need a PoE Switch in the office as it won't feed anything once hitting the not-PoE unmanaged switches? I think I'll need a PoE injector in the attic to power the AP in over the stairs?

5e15fd559e8d4_LowerFloorNetworkInfrastru

5e15fd6904717_UpperFloorNetworkInfrastru

post-110-0-52803400-1578499261_thumb.jpg

post-110-0-26794400-1578499283_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sammy

Sammy

As I think more about it, I probably only need the USG and NanoHD AP with PoE injector to start. Will this work behind the other two unmanaged switches in my system?

Guest asrequested

You can use any switch you want, as long as the AP has power. But if you use a dumb switch in the middle, it may interrupt the telemetry from the AP.

Sammy

You can use any switch you want, as long as the AP has power. But if you use a dumb switch in the middle, it may interrupt the telemetry from the AP.

What/How?

So I'll need a stack of managed switches?

mastrmind11

What/How?

So I'll need a stack of managed switches?

no, you'll be fine.  I have a single managed switch and 2-3 unmanaged hanging off it at some of my tvs, and an injector at my AP connected to a MoCA adapter in the attic.   (MoCA is awesome for hard to reach places w/ no ability to run cat5, btw).

Just pick up the switch when you get your other gear, I guarantee you'll be adding one anyway in the not too distant future.

Edited by mastrmind11

Guest asrequested

Don't panic! :D The AP will still work. It just may stop the controller having any stats and such. I'm not totally sure about that. As long as you're using a USG, it could still work. The controller won't be able to see anything from the dumb switches.

Sammy

Does the managed switch need to be Ubiquiti and does it need PoE? Does Ubiquiti have managed switches without PoE to save money? The main switch will not need PoE due to my infrastructure.

mastrmind11

Does the managed switch need to be Ubiquiti and does it need PoE? Does Ubiquiti have managed switches without PoE to save money? The main switch will not need PoE due to my infrastructure.

yep.  this is the one I have https://www.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-Networks-US-24-Unifi-Switch/dp/B01LZBLO0U/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=unifi+24+switch&qid=1578506718&sr=8-3

they also do an 8 port variant if that fits the bill.

• Like 1

Guest asrequested

The AP will come with a power injector. So that'll be plugged into the wall, and the ethernet cables will go in and out of that. You can use any switch or router with them. But you'll need to run the controller on a computer or get a cloudkey.

• Like 1

Sammy

yep.  this is the one I have https://www.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-Networks-US-24-Unifi-Switch/dp/B01LZBLO0U/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=unifi+24+switch&qid=1578506718&sr=8-3

they also do an 8 port variant if that fits the bill.

Thinking I'll get the 8 port model and add my existing 8 port unmanaged to it for the likes of my HDHomeRun Primes and Printer, but connecting the Emby Server and other PC directly to the Ubiquiti Switch..

The AP will come with a power injector. So that'll be plugged into the wall, and the ethernet cables will go in and out of that. You can use any switch or router with them. But you'll need to run the controller on a computer or get a cloudkey.

.. then upstairs I'll connect through my unmanaged switches to a AP in the ceiling with a PoE injector in line to the AP.

If I don't get the CloudKey I can't use the mobile app but rather only the PC to manage the network. I'm thinking once it is up and going I don't really need to manage much. Will it still run if the PC is off line? I mean does the configuration get stored in the USG so it'll keep running w/o the PC connected?

Guest asrequested

The controller needs to be on your network. I believe they have Bluetooth capability (but I've never tried that). I just run the controller on one of my machines. You don't need to have it run 24/7, but you'll need it set everything up. I've enabled cloud access, so I can monitor my network, remotely.

Sammy

So once it's set up the pc used to set it up can be off line and the network still works?

Otherwise I will use the i3 Win7Pro NUC I have laying about unplugged doing nothing..

mastrmind11

So once it's set up the pc used to set it up can be off line and the network still works?

Otherwise I will use the i3 Win7Pro NUC I have laying about unplugged doing nothing..

yeah the network still works, you just lose all the pretty graphs and stuff.