What OTHER client most closely matches Emby Theater?

tadr

I am testing a switch from WMC to Emby and recently configured Emby Theater on my HTPC and am pleased with the performance. I also configured the Emby client on a Roku ultra for use on other TVs. While the performance is OK on the Roku, it doesn’t begin to match the responsiveness and polish of Emby Theater. For example, the buffer when initially playing a video is particularly annoying. Seeking is also slow. Consistency among the clients I use will be good for WAF and FAF.

So here’s my question - what other client/hardware will give me the closest experience to Emby Theater for other TVs without running Windows? Are they all similar to the Roku client, or will the NVidia Shield running the Android client give performance and UI more similar to ET?

Mods feel free to move if there’s a better place for this - I didn’t see a clear spot for general client discussion.

Edited by tadr

Sammy

The MiBox is a pretty solid performer if you want to save a few bucks but AFAIK, it supports less codecs than the nVidia ShieldTV. I have 7 ShieldTV's a FireTV 4k dongle and a MiBox. Of all of them, the ShieldTV performs the fastest for loading content and the other two are about the same. For a replacement of WMC (thinking extenders here) the MiBox or FireTV could be a good choice. The drawback on the MiBox is no native PrimeVideo Support. The drawback on the FireTV is that PrimeVideo is forced in you face and you have to navigate to Emby..

The app for Samsung TV (newer Tizen models) is nearly identical to Emby Theater (and in the settings it's also called Emby Theater).

And it's pretty fast and smotth and has a nice player (at least on the two 2019 Samsung TVs I own).

Ciao, Alfred

The answer is they all match each other as we are building the same designs for all platforms.

• Like 2

ryanfinger

All of the open items listed I have on my list as well. Nevertheless I made the switch. U was already using the guide data from schedules direct with epg123. My biggest issue is the RecordedTV plug in stop working when one of their data sources discontinued support on a legacy protocol. All of my DVR content disappeared. I didn't want to go back to the default WMC experience so looked for something new.

While there are issues there have been some benefits. I was able to retire my Xbox 360s on my additional TVs. I ran 3 WMC PCs so had to juggle contention on the HDHomeruns. And a true whole house DVR is nice. So far I've embraced. But the development needs to continue.

clarkss12

I purchased the Xiaomi Mibox when it was on sale for $30 USD either Black Friday or Cyber Monday.  Anyway, first thing I did was install the "Pie" beta, what a mistake, live TV was jerky, not watchable.  I was running the beta 3, which is the same as the "Pie" final.  I found the "Pie" final and installed it (I think it is the final), any way same thing, live TV all jerky and not watchable..........

Perhaps others that got the update can confirm that the "Pie" causes Live TV to jerk, and not watchable...........

clarkss12

Perhaps, I am an extreme NERD, but I prefer these "cheap Chinese" boxes that everyone seems to detest........... :)

They are far more versatile than the officially sanctioned Google products.  Yes, the shield is great for being only a media player, but lacks in versatility..... Of course,, that maybe what people desire in a media player, simplicity.

I am guessing the majority of people do NOT have their own media, and their only media consumption is streaming, either online or cable or satellite.  In that case any inexpensive streaming device would work.....

However, I hope I don't get flamed too much.  The Beelink GT Pro or Ugoos AM6 kicks any other media player's butt.......

To be noted, Beelink provided me the King Pro free of charge........

Edit: here is a video I made to back up my wild claims.  Comparing Nvidia TV Emby client, a Windows 10 client and one of these "cheap Chinese" boxes running CoreELEC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_N2Fv0pkVVc&t=101s

Edited by clarkss12

clarkss12

Does that run Android TV or straight Android?

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Best thing about these boxes, they can run almost anything.  There is usually a firmware for either standard Android or Android TV.  Obviously, they don't support some of the Google functions, like Chrome casting, but otherwise they support a lot of different functions that a Google Certified box doesn't.

Alvatech from Freaktab just posted an ATV port for me to test on my Beelink GT1 Mini2 (Amlogic S905X3).  Everything is working perfectly except the voice is not working, at this time.

I actually prefer his port to any of the Google supported machines...... aka the shield, etc.  His DPI is smaller, so it looks better on my 65" 4k TV.

post-38990-0-70705300-1578540358_thumb.jpg post-38990-0-18206700-1578540367_thumb.jpg

post-38990-0-23070100-1578540376_thumb.jpg post-38990-0-32313400-1578540386_thumb.jpg

post-38990-0-14308900-1578540493_thumb.jpg

Edited by clarkss12
  • Like 1

Thanks for the input, everyone.  I picked up an Nvidia Shield.  Much much faster for starting playback and seeking than my Roku Ultra (top of the line Roku).  The interface is still a bit different from Emby Theater, but it's close enough.  Most importantly, it's fast.

My biggest disappointment is the lack of support for shortcuts in the Android TV Emby client (I'm using a FLIRC receiver and wish I could program shortcuts for recorded TV, guide, home, etc. like is possible with Emby Theater), but that's no worse than the Roku client.

CBers

My biggest disappointment is the lack of support for shortcuts in the Android TV Emby client (I'm using a FLIRC receiver and wish I could program shortcuts for recorded TV, guide, home, etc. like is possible with Emby Theater), but that's no worse than the Roku client.

Raise those suggestions in the ATV app beta forum.

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/forum/123-android/

These items have been requested in the Feature Request sub forum as well.

@@ebr is well aware of them but he's only one guy!

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

• Like 1