Favorise direct play / direct stream WITH Auto settings for stream quality

SuissoNaBisso

SuissoNaBisso

Hey guys

Recently moved to Emby from Plex.

You guys did a really great job with that, I really love it and prefer to Plex which is not stable enough in my opinion...

Though I'm missing one important feature that Plex has :

Favorising direct play / direct stream while you can also select "auto" setting.

This means that if Direct Play / Direct Stream is not possible for a user connected to the server (due to slow internet connection, or invalid format etc...) then the Player will automatically select the best quality available for this user. BUT it will always favorise Direct Play / Direct Stream.

I'm asking because on my server I have some users using Auto mode, even if they have fiber with 1 gigabit connection, the auto mode will make them transcode to 720p 3Mbps while they could handle the direct play 1080p. Maybe I'm doing something wrong but also thought that on Plex the quality settings are way more clear than on Emby.

Maybe this will come in an upcoming update ?

Thanks

Edited by SuissoNaBisso
  • Like 1

SuissoNaBisso

Hi.  We already do this if the connection test says it is possible.

Well just did the test from work laptop.

First tested using "Auto" mode, playback started transcoding to 1080p 6Mbps.

Then I changed the settings to max 4k - 120 mbps

relaunched playback and here it was direct playing, no transcoding

So I guess the "auto" mode has some issues...no ?

The question is, what is the actual bitrate of that item and, if you continue playing it to the end, will it play without any stops or stutters?

SuissoNaBisso

The question is, what is the actual bitrate of that item and, if you continue playing it to the end, will it play without any stops or stutters?

Ok so did a new test :

Total bitrate of this media is 14777 kbps so about 14,4 Mbps.

An yes I can play it fully with absolutely no buffer when setiings are on 4k - 120 Mbps. Direct stream (just the container is trancoded as playing from web browser. But fine for me as container transcoding only need minimal resources from server.

Then if moving the setting to "auto"

server is sending a transcoded version and bitrate is apparently 23 Mbps...which is higher than original media bitrate ! (infrom from nerd panel) but if I click on quality wheel it shows " Auto 1080p - 6 Mbps"

See below capture :

https://imgur.com/a/ImlOiKh 

Anyway, "auto" mode seems to transcode while it shouldn't !

The auto setting will never be perfect and we are always trying to improve it and it will be conservative in order to be sure the item will play smoothly.  But, if you are sure that your connection can handle a current rate, then you can just set the app to that rate.  That is why we also have the manual settings.

• Like 1

SuissoNaBisso

The auto setting will never be perfect and we are always trying to improve it and it will be conservative in order to be sure the item will play smoothly.  But, if you are sure that your connection can handle a current rate, then you can just set the app to that rate.  That is why we also have the manual settings.

Yes that's what I'll do.

Just thought that "Auto" mode wasn't really considering Direct Play, maybe this should be clarified in the settings UI ?

Anyway thanks for info !