Trakt plugin - more granular settings

invader

invader

There have been multiple scenarios that have left me wanting more granular settings in the Trakt plugin. The most recent example is:

Show 1 has been watched in 2015. I want to un-mark it as watched in Emby and not lose my watch history in Trakt. It's currently marked as watched in Emby and watched in Trakt. Even though I currently have "Update Trakt watched history during Scheduled Task" turned off. When I un-mark Show 1 as watched, it removes all my watch history from Trakt.

The Trakt plugin settings tick boxes, along with whether you have the scheduled tasks scheduled or not, give some control. However I can't seem to get what I want.

I think back to when I used to use the Trakt plugin in Plex and it had "push and/or pull" setting options and terminology. How about something like this:

5edc2172d9849_20200607Traktproposedsetti

Emby activity database changed to support better 2 way Trakt sync (as well as other things)

Another pre-requisite task I think is perhaps a revisit of the watch history database in Emby. Currently Emby doesn't show you the date/time you watched something or the number of times you've watched something. If Emby did store this, the 2 way sync task to Trakt would act as a backup or both systems. If Trakt API was down and a scrobble event didn't register, the next scheduled sync would fill in the gaps. This is how the Kodi plugin used to work, it was great. Recently Trakt crashed and potentially lost data as well as had a long period of time when scrobbles weren't working. This would be a great use case of a 2 way sync in Emby would save the day.

I did download through the Reports plugin, user activity. It shows events like "started playing" and "stopped playing". This should also have have "completed" which would equal media being marked as played.  

Edited by invader
  • Like 2

WilhelmStroker

+1 I totally agree with that, more granularity would be great.

One of the options I would like to see is to be able to configure settings by device as well. I often rewatch shows at night on my tablet and don't need those rewatches to be scrobbled to Trakt.

• 4 weeks later...
invader

So I’m having problems syncing to mobile. I’ll work around it however I had an episode “downloaded” that wasn’t really. I play it and get an error. The episode is marked as watched. That’s pushed to Trakt. Now Trakt has 2 plays for this episode, one from when I watched it ages ago. When I mark as I have unwatched in Emby it removes both plays from Trakt! I really need to have the option to not push unwatched states to Trakt.

• 2 months later...
invader

I just realised that Emby also imports (maybe writes too?) resume progress from Trakt. I just synced Emby with Trakt and it imported a heap of files with resume points in my "Continue watching".

I've updated my first post to add this to the granular settings. As a side note, if anyone gets in the same mess where you have a heap of files with random resume points that you want to clear (and the reason is they are stored in Trakt) then I'd recommend using this website to bulk remove them from Trakt:

https://sharkykh.github.io/tppm/

Then if you run the Trakt sync again, they get removed.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
invader

Hope everyone is safe and well.

I added another idea with "pop up notifications". This is mainly because at the moment I can't rely on sending watched status via a scheduled task (as apposed to a scrobble). The watched date and time that get sent are incorrect so I only have Emby scrobbling after completion of a movie/episode. Seeing as this is the only mechanism, I find myself checking Trakt after I watch something to make sure it worked. I realise that a simple notification on error sending to Trakt would replace this manual process so I've proposed some notifications settings too.

I do feel that this would no longer be required if the watches were able to be pushed at a later stage and keep the correct times, then if a scrobble failed after you watched something, it would get to Trakt during the next scheduled sync run.

Thanks  :)

• 9 months later...
invader

Just an update as I got burned last night. As reported originally, when you mark something as unwatched, it deletes all watches in Trakt too. I wanted to re-watch a previously watched show, and as a work around I blocked Internet on my Emby server then marked as unwatched in Emby. I believe this worked for me before however maybe the Trakt plugin has been improved and the API keeps trying until successful, because when I turned Internet back on all the shows previous watches were deleted in Trakt. Ouch! I've backed up my Trakt history so I'll have to manually add them back in. Which sucks for a large-ish show.

I've seen other threads about "re-watching" a show. The reason for un-watching is so Emby keeps track of the episode you're up to and the next episode appears in "Next up" section of Emby.

Main points:

1 - If you want to re-watch a show and you use Trakt I would suggest going into Trakt plugin options and excluding TV shows. Marking as unwatched in Emby, then removing the Traky plugin exclusion. I haven't tested this but I believe it will work.

2 - A re-watch feature would be great as previously mentioned in another thread.

3 - The granular settings and ideas in this original post for Trakt plugin settings would be amazing please. Just giving it a bump. :) I know you guys are busy with everything else.

Thanks and appreciate all your hard work.

• 1 year later...
invader

With the recent outage of Trakt, it's made me re-realise that Emby doesn't have "number of times played" and historical syncing of plays with correct date/time values to Trakt. I've updated my original post with some other ideas. :)

Thanks.

On 12/17/2022 at 9:35 PM, invader said:

With the recent outage of Trakt, it's made me re-realise that Emby doesn't have "number of times played" and historical syncing of plays with correct date/time values to Trakt. I've updated my original post with some other ideas. :)

Thanks.

Yea looking at it, we don't send play count to trakt ever.