Pauses on 4K Content

raujaku

raujaku

I'm running the emby server on a raspberry pi 4 model B. The client is an Nvidia shield pro 2019.

When watching 4k content, the movie will randomly pause for a few seconds. This is over a direct stream.

edit: direct *play

log.txt

Edited by raujaku

HI, usually this is a sign that the bitrate is too high for the network connection and/or the device you're playing on. You'll want to lower the in-app quality setting to transcode and reduce to a lower bitrate, although on the RPI4 that could be an issue as it might not be able to keep up with transcoding 4K content on the fly.

raujaku

HI, usually this is a sign that the bitrate is too high for the network connection and/or the device you're playing on. You'll want to lower the in-app quality setting to transcode and reduce to a lower bitrate, although on the RPI4 that could be an issue as it might not be able to keep up with transcoding 4K content on the fly.

I tried lowering the bitrate and it still pauses randomly during playback. There shouldn't be any transcoding since I have it turned off in the user and this is all over local network.

Ok then that means the setting won't change anything. Please try turning transcoding back on and see how that compares with a lower quality setting. Thanks.

raujaku

Ok then that means the setting won't change anything. Please try turning transcoding back on and see how that compares with a lower quality setting. Thanks.

Turned back on transcoding. When I lower the quality, its shows a loading circle for about 1 minutes followed by one frame of movement followed by the loading circle again. I tried different quality settings all the way down too 2mb/s, it seems the lower it got the longer the loading circle was.

That could just be an issue of transcoding performance on the RPI. Can you attach an ffmpeg log example? Thanks.

mastrmind11

yeah, a rPi isn't going to be able to play HEVC w/ HD-MA unless whatever you're using for a client supports both of those natively.

raujaku

yeah, a rPi isn't going to be able to play HEVC w/ HD-MA unless whatever you're using for a client supports both of those natively.

The Pi4 is only acting as a server for direct play. The client is a Shield TV 2019

mastrmind11

The Pi4 is only acting as a server for direct play. The client is a Shield TV 2019

Right, but it's trying to transcode, which means there's something about that file that is forcing the pi to transcode it, and is unable to do so.  since the shield can play hevc natively as far as I know, there's something else.  I didn't spend much time looking at your transcode logs, but it could also be trying to burn in the subs.

It's trying to transcode due to the quality setting being at 20 mbps, so normally this file would direct play, but it doesn't look like his network can handle that.