Lag on volume OSD

hhb97b
Go to solution Solved by ebr,

Is everyone that is seeing this using Shark?

I'm not using Shark codec pack. I'm using ffdshow tryouts, but I believe that is part of the shark codec pack.

Edited by hhb97b

CWNashvegas

Is everyone that is seeing this using Shark?

It was doing it with Shark, and now (after I reinstalled Win 7 two nights ago) it's doing it with just LAV/xy installed.

doddsie

I am splitting the audio out a. to the kitchen and b. to the sitting area.    The room is open plan and have tvs in each area. I wanted the same audio source to both areas and have receivers on the end of both.

Not using shark

Doddsie

Hi! Long time MB user, first time poster on the forums.

I am also experiencing the volume OSD lag.

I'm runnign Sharky007 codecs. latest version. I use a Microsoft MCE remote.

I must add that this is not limited to just volume on my machine. There is input lag in general at times effecting all comands including pause, stop, etc.

I have also noticed that when I move the mouse to try to pause it using th estandard MC OSD, it does not appear. The mouse curser itself does appear, but non of the OSD buttons.

I have found that the only way to fix (as I dont have a keyboard attached) is to use Teamviewer on my phone to log on and close the relevent processes. What is strange is that when I do this, team viewer displays the windows desktop. It usualy displays a black screen when MB is running. In otherwords, what is displaying on the TV is different to what I see in Teamviewer.

I think there may be a bug in the way MB3 is interfacing with MC interms of this particular functionality.

Cheers,

I think there may be a bug in the way MB3 is interfacing with MC interms of this particular functionality.

That's why this issue is so hard to nail down. We don't interface with WMC for those functions.  In fact, we cannot even access the volume up and down controls from within our program.

That's why this issue is so hard to nail down. We don't interface with WMC for those functions.  In fact, we cannot even access the volume up and down controls from within our program.

I don't think you should see this issue as specific to volume, but the volume is the first place where people see the lag problem(very easy to see). Ithink you need to look for code which generates alot of interrupts as the cpu isn't maxed out. Also there is an increased io-activity, when the lag is present.

I dont't mind testing debug-releases, where some of the functionality between version 60-67 is turn off in the attempt to narrow it further down.

Edited by hhb97b

pgriffith

Like to chime in with my machines here as well.

Seeing this on 3 separate machines. 2 are Windows 8 x64 and 1 is Win7 x64

All are running latest Beta versions of Client & Server. All with Sharks Codec pack (been using Shark since he first started)

The 2 Windows 8 machines are client only talking to a MB3 server and the Windows 7 machine is running both Client & Server. (before anyone asks... sisters machine elsewhere)   :)

I also noticing lag on other commands as well, like play/stop & back. But volume is easily the most noticable.

Volume actually does change but the OSD doesn't appear. Saying that, it can often appear many minutes after the volume change, like extreme lag.

I also never noticed this behaviour starting until a few weeks ago.

My main machine (Win8) is used extensively for Live TV and recording, along with Music and Radio. No lag at all outside of MB3.

Also of note, I am not running any themes at all, completely vanilla.

Happy to test anything you want me to try... I'm a tech guy,happy to get hands dirty   :)

Edit... Just did a clean reboot and fired up MB3, made sure to play with the volume while I watched 2 new TV episodes. Probably took about 45 minutes until the Volume OSD disappeared.

I'll try to take more notice with future viewing to see how long it takes, be interesting to see if it's consistent or completely random. 

Control INSTANTLY returned on exiting to Media Center.

Edited by pgriffith

Strumiker

Will gladly do whatever I can to help out, too. To be honest, I'm just glad this thread popped up. I thought I was going insane and ready to toss computers out the window. "Nice" to see this isn't just something completely specific to me :P

• Solution

Oooh - I finally got some time to dig deeper into this and I may have found something.  One of you please install the dev build I just put up (.77) and see if it affects the issue.

I found the only thing we interface with regarding volume and it was added between 60 and 67.  No idea why it would cause this problem, but, since it is the only thing, I have high hopes.

• Like 2

Oooh - I finally got some time to dig deeper into this and I may have found something.  One of you please install the dev build I just put up (.77) and see if it affects the issue.

I found the only thing we interface with regarding volume and it was added between 60 and 67.  No idea why it would cause this problem, but, since it is the only thing, I have high hopes.

I have set "system level" and "plugin level" to dev and pushed "check for system updates now", but I'm not receiving a new version. My current version is 3.0.74.0 B10-3.1. I will tested when the system finds the new version.

Needed to update server to dev aswell - had forgotten about this

Edited by hhb97b

johnchimpo

I experienced this issue back in MB2.6 as well and can't speak for prior builds of MB3 as I just installed a couple weeks ago. Using Shark MB2 and LAV MB3. See significant delay in other areas (transitions, commands) when MBC has been opened for a significant period of time. Intel i5, Win7 x86, 4gb RAM, SSD

I have installed version 78 and I can't replicate the lag-issue. The fix is working for me.

Thank you very much :)

I have installed version 78 and I can't replicate the lag-issue. The fix is working for me.

Thank you very much :)

Well, it is actually the crippling of a feature that shouldn't be causing this issue more than a fix, but glad to hear we know what it is now.

Logos302

anyway to install .77 with out updating the server to the Dev build as well?  Other then this Volume issue my setup is fairly stable.   If not I will update just making sure :).

Sorry, not yet.  I don't want it showing up for the masses.

If you're willing to wait a day or so, it should be going public soon.

Strumiker

Sorry for a late response. Update seems to have fixed the issue so far. Thanks a ton for taking the time to help out the group of us that were having this problem! My wife says you're awesome!

Been a few days....has this gone live yet for beta updates?

Yes, it has been available for several days.  Current version 3.0.78.0.