Lag on volume OSD

hhb97b
Go to solution Solved by ebr,

hhb97b

OLD POST from the other board. This is to document what we know about the issue.

Hi

I’m having a small performance issue and I believe its mb3 classic, which is the cause but I’m not sure. The performance issue is with the slow remote command/ ui animations. The following scenario can replicate the error

1. Go into mb3 classic
  2. Choose a video to play
  3. After some time 5-15 minutes try to change the volume. It is possible but it jumps in the numbers normally it is smooth and you can see it counting up/down.

Normally I won’t suspect mb3, but if I continue the scenario with the following steps

1. Pause the movie
  2. Go back to mb3 and keep moving back out of mb3 to 7mc.
  3. Try the volume now and it is smooth
  4. Go to “ now playing” and enter/select
  5. resume the movie. Try to change the volume and the animation is smooth. Wait 5-15 minutes and it is still smooth and it keeps being smooth

With this last part I believe I have proven that it is not the codec that is the problem or 7mc. Is anybody having this issue or is it just me? I have reinstalled win7, mb3 server and classic and I’m still having the issue. I’m running

Mb3 server: 3.0.4999.38224
Mb3 classic: 3.0.73.0 89-27.1
Plugins: chocolate,  trailers
I
m also running Media control 6.0.12.1, ffdshow video+audio, lav splitter.

I would like to try older releases, because I don’t believe that the issue was present in the previous releases, but I’m not sure when it changed. Can anyone tell me how to install a older version of mb3 server and mb3 classic??

Thanks in advance

Edited by hhb97b
  • Like 2

hhb97b

OLD POST from the other board

I have the same problem as hhb97b and others. If you first launch MB classic, the volume works fine for about 10-15 minutes, After that the volume will go up or down instantly when you hit the remote and about a minute or 2 later the OSD comes up…the delay gets worse and worse over time as you are using MB classic and it only affects the volume OSD, nothing else.

It started happening (or at least I noticed it) after the very latest update. I tried everything to fix it, but no luck. I am using the chocolate theme, no trakt.

hhb97b

OLD Post from the other board

• So, the volume is reacting as it should it is just the on-screen feedback that is delayed? – ebr about 23 hours ago
  • ebr. Correct. At least that has been my experience. It seems to be an OSD lag. – blade005 about 23 hours ago
  • Are we sure it wasn’t a media center update that did this? I just don’t know how we could be affecting that, although it looks like we are. Try un-installing MBC and then installing from this installer. Then test and see if the problem is gone. – ebr about 23 hours ago
  • I can confirm that this is happening (and has been happening for at least 2 weeks) to me too. – MongooseMan about 23 hours ago
  • I have uninstalled the current version and installed 67-version. I’m still able to replicate the issue with 67 installed – hhb97b about 23 hours ago delete
  • Okay, so it is starting to look like a WMC/Windows update is what has happened here… – ebr about 22 hours ago
  • I tried 2.6.2 after version 67. I have not been able to reproduce the error with version 2.6.2. – hhb97b about 22 hours ago delete
  • Well, that is going a little too far back to diagnose :). – ebr about 21 hours ago
  • well it was the best I could do :)hhb97b about 20 hours ago delete
  • Yes, I installed and reinstalled with your installer and the same issue happens…and yes, volume reacts instantly, it is just the OSD…sorry on my delayed response ebr. – Derby13 about 20 hours ago
  • I also notice sometimes the other buttons like stop or fast forward sometimes react more delayed initially, but it only happens sometimes, and it never used to. – Derby13 about 19 hours ago
  • Is there any way to get old version of MBC to try different versions to see if we can figure out when it started? – Logos302 about 16 hours ago
  • Please bring this back up in the new forum when it opens. – ebr about 1 hour ago

hhb97b

OLD POST from the other board

• hhb97b. You are not alone. I have noticed the same lag since the update to the latest MBC Beta (3.0.72.0 89-20.1) You must be on a DEV build, but I am experiencing the same laggy behavior for Volume UP and DOWN while in MBC. I back out to WMC and no issues. It is not unworkable, but it is noticeable. – blade005 5 days ago
  • same issue here. Was reported and was told that it must be something in my setup as MBC doesn’t do anything with remote commands. But I’m begining to thing it a memory leak of some kind as it doens’t happen right away. But it get worse over time. Close down Media center and re-open you will probably find that volume and such work ok for a while again. – Logos302 5 days ago
  • I get the same. Didn’t contribute it to MB Classic though as I’ve just reinstalled my HTPC and upgraded to MB Server and Classic at the same time so I just assumed it must be something else I’ve installed. – SilentAssassin 5 days ago
  • It is good to know that I’m not the only one seeing the issue. I have about 1,2 gb of memory in standby and about 25mb of free. So I don’t think it’s a memory issue. Also I not seeing any hard faults/sec for the memory, so no trashing of memory here. – hhb97b 5 days ago delete
  • Are you all using the same theme? – ebr 5 days ago
  • And are you all using MediaControl? – ebr 5 days ago
  • I have tried chocolate and default. I’m seeing the issue in both. – hhb97b 5 days ago delete
  • I have uninstalled mediaControl and I’m still seeing the issue. Remedy with backing out of mb3 classic solves the issue. – hhb97b 5 days ago delete
  • I have Chocolate,Gamebrowser3,BackDropSS,MB Bookself-Classic,MBPhoto-Clasic,Trakt for plug-ins running on amd APU Windows 8. MediaCrontrol? – Logos302 5 days ago
  • Can you try removing all plug-ins just to narrow down the issue? Thx. – ebr 5 days ago
  • Removed all the plugins and I’m stilling seeing the issue. Another observation: if I reenter mb3 and go to full screen viewing of the running video, then I’m not able replicate the issue. I suspect the problem being in the play-button code and the change note “Fix playback reporting not always consistent (affected Trakt)”. But that is pure guessing from my side. – hhb97b 5 days ago delete
  • Logos302: MediaControl is a external program, which makes it possible to change subtitles when using ffdshow video codec – hhb97b 5 days ago delete
  • I have tried other rc command, but its only the volume up/down that I can replicate the issue with. – hhb97b 5 days ago delete
  • Can I see an MBC log in debug mode from a session when this problem occurs please? – ebr 5 days ago
  • Default theme here. – blade005 5 days ago
  • I’m having this issue too. To be a little more specific, if you change volume it changes immediately but doesn’t display it on the screen. The program will hang and not do anything until it finishes displaying the volume, upon which it will execute any other commands you have given it by mashing buttons. I’ll see what I can do about a log. – fuzzy11287 3 days ago
  • By the way, MBC and Pearl theme. – fuzzy11287 3 days ago
  • I’m at a real loss here. The volume up and down keys are not even possible to trap within MCML. – ebr 3 days ago
  • If the playback is stopped while the issue is present, then the issue is present in mb3 gui(example ehs). However if I stop the playback before the issue then it never shows up in the mb3 gui. The issue is set off by the playback, doesn’t matter if it is play or resume. It is very consistent around 55-60 seconds after playback starts that the issue is introduced – hhb97b 3 days ago delete
  • I have the same issue. Chocolate Theme Plug Ins, Trailers, Theme Songs, Photos, Rotten Tomatoes, Podcasts – LASooner about 5 hours ago

hhb97b

This is the oldest version of MBC I have.  It is from almost two months ago.

I have installed this version and I haven't been able to reproduce the error. I have only watched one video for 25 minutes, but I believe that the error is not present in this version.

Can anyone confirm my findings?

There are no changes to the playback logic between those two versions.  One thing that did change is the version of SQLite.  Hard to believe that would be it but can you try copying your System.Data.SQLite.dll from the MB directory for that version, installing the latest version and then putting that old SQLite dll back and see what happens?

hhb97b

There are no changes to the playback logic between those two versions.  One thing that did change is the version of SQLite.  Hard to believe that would be it but can you try copying your System.Data.SQLite.dll from the MB directory for that version, installing the latest version and then putting that old SQLite dll back and see what happens?

I tried what you suggested but the issue is still present with version 74 and the old SQLite.dll(from 60)

Okay.  I didn't expect that to make a difference.  So it has to be something seemingly un-related that is causing the issue.

CWNashvegas

I can't really do much to help with testing, but I have this issue as well. I initially attributed it to strictly WMC because... well, because it's WMC. It seems to happen sooner / more consistently if I use the web client to send remote commands to MBC, but that could be coincidence.

But on the bright side, if you google "wmc volume lag" this thread is the first result. Google likes the new forum. :)

I dont know if this helps or not, but i have taken some screenshot of the process with a stackdump when the error is present. the other image shows a large increase in io-activity when the issue occures

post-98-0-08007100-1381431877_thumb.pngpost-98-0-95170900-1381431886_thumb.png

Just like to say that I have noticed it too but did not think much of it until i saw this thread.. using latest MBS beta, MBC beta, ROC, Crystal, Trailers, Podcasts

JohnWhitmore

I have this problem also...now to find the common denominator....

Do you all have HTPC cases with a display?

aspdend

Using mediabrowser Classic 3 since the first beta was available, now fully up to date with the latest ROC theme and I have never seen this issue, although I use VLC as my default player...

Oh, and I do have a htpc case with VFD display

Edited by aspdend

CWNashvegas

I have this problem also...now to find the common denominator....

Do you all have HTPC cases with a display?

No, I do not.

SilentAssassin

I have this issue.

My HTPC is a Lenovo (don't know model)

Pentium Dual Core E5300 2.6GHz

2GB DDR2 RAM

50GB SATAII SSD

Intel Q45 Chipset (using on board graphics)

Sharks Codec Pack, using LAV filters with DXVA enabled

100mb connection to Server

Lenovo branded MCE remote

Further to this issue. Even if you actually finish watching something, or just stop the media as long as you are still in MBC the lag on the volume OSD still persists. Its not until you back out of MBC to WMC that the lag disappears. I'm running Win 7 on my HTPC, fully patched, but I've noticed this issue on my on my Win 8 computer, similar specs as above.

Edited by SilentAssassin

Strumiker

Same issue here:

Occurs on both of my htpcs. One is using Shark's codec pack with LAV, another is using just FFDShow. The only plugin I'm running is the Trailers one. Chocolate theme, but happens in the default. Will gladly provide any other information to help figure this out. Wife once said that it took till the show was four minutes in before it would respond (just to show how bad it can get if you don't exit out).

Edited by Strumiker

Just asking here so don't shoot me, but why do you guys use the WMC volume at all?  Even if you don't have a receiver, the TV itself should have volume.

CWNashvegas

I use external speakers that aren't controlled by the tv. The analog (composite) audio out on my tv is a constant signal with no adjustment, so I can only adjust it within WMC or by getting up and using the control on the speaker thingie.

Edited by Knowledge Base

Just asking here so don't shoot me, but why do you guys use the WMC volume at all?  Even if you don't have a receiver, the TV itself should have volume.

Yes,  I'm using a reciever with 6ch analog input. The issue also affect other commands if mbc is left open for a long time. I have detected latency on stop commands aswell.

BTW ebr have you been able to replicate the issue?

Edited by hhb97b

Experiencing the issue also..

I initially thought it had something to do with the old Philips SRM 7500 remote im using, however it has worked with all versions of MB for the past couple of years.

Early versions of MB3 worked fine, I only have noticed the volume and media control lag kick in maybe about 3-4 weeks ago? Ive since rebuilt my media center PC to rule that out. I have set MB3 updates to beta.

I also am using the latest Shark codecs. It seems to happen globally within WMC.

- Tonos