List of Issues Experienced with TerraMaster NAS and Emby

EbbandFlow

EbbandFlow
- Clicking refresh on the Playlists tab results in refreshing to the Suggestions page on web app

- Suggestions page on web app doesn't load the majority of the time

- Time to load Artists, Albums, etc. on both the web app and the iOS are atrocious (is this a fault of the Terramaster?  of Emby?  of my gigantic library?*)

- Deleting an album in the web app results in nothing happening.  After clicking refresh, I'm brought back to the Suggestions page.  If I navigate to the albums section, I then see that my selected album is no longer there

- By clicking on an Artist or Album, how can I quickly see where the file is located so I can alter its ID3 tags for a better experience?

* - iTunes handled it just fine

I'm at a bit of a loss on how to go about resolving all of this.  I waited the couple of days involved in scanning the library properly for the first time.  I totally get that I'm going to have to organize the @#$% out of ID3 tags to get things to my liking but if it can't even load Artists or Albums within a couple of minutes of waiting - then there has to be a larger problem here, right?

Clicking refresh on the Playlists tab results in refreshing to the Suggestions page on web app

Hi there, what makes you think this?

Deleting an album in the web app results in nothing happening

Why do you feel it does nothing? What exactly did you do?

By clicking on an Artist or Album, how can I quickly see where the file is located so I can alter its ID3 tags for a better experience?

On an album the metadata editor will tell you, using the 3-dot menu -> edit metadata.

EbbandFlow

Hi there, what makes you think this?

Because it happens?  ;) 

(original statement: Clicking refresh on the Playlists tab results in refreshing to the Suggestions page on web app)

Web App (both in port 8181 and port 5443)

- Suggestions loads up

- i click on Playlists, wait a while for them to load, click refresh in the Chrome browser and Suggestions loads up

What is the preferred UX for refreshing the view then?

EbbandFlow

•  

- Suggestions page on web app doesn't load the majority of the time

Hi there, please discuss an example and see how to report a problem. Thanks !

• Describe the problem in your own words: 

When first loading Emby web app via the 5443 port, I select my library and I am navigated to the Suggestions tab.  Nothing is displayed.  I wait longer, nothing is displayed.  

When first loading Emby web app via the 8181 port, while selecting my library, I see a spinning icon (Emby's) and I am navigated to the Suggestions tab.  Nothing is displayed.  The spinning icon twirls and twirls.  It disappears.  I wait longer, nothing is displayed.

5e1239447cbf7_ScreenShot20200105at12956P

• Please attach the server log from the time frame the activity occurred

(attaching)

embyserver.txt

EbbandFlow

Original statement from me:   - Deleting an album in the web app results in nothing happening.  After clicking refresh, I'm brought back to the Suggestions page.  If I navigate to the albums section, I then see that my selected album is no longer there

Why do you feel it does nothing? What exactly did you do?

- I selected an album from the list in the upper-left hand corner of the icon checking the checkbox.  I clicked on the Delete option in the ellipses menu in the upper-right hand corner.  I received a dialogue module warning about the ramifications of deleting said item.  I click OK.  It brings me back to the same view with the item still displayed.  I would expect a more coherent UX would refresh the review reflecting the change made by the user.  

This, by the way, is what led me to refresh the browser which brought me back to the "Suggestions" tab mentioned elsewhere in this thread.  
Again, I ask, what's the intended UX for this?  Is the expectation that you're just going to have to refresh everything to ensure that the items were deleted?  That's "do-able" just seems counterintuitive and causes the end user to question their actions and whether or not they were reflected correctly by the application.

EbbandFlow

Original statement: By clicking on an Artist or Album, how can I quickly see where the file is located so I can alter its ID3 tags for a better experience?

On an album the metadata editor will tell you, using the 3-dot menu -> edit metadata.

Ah ok, I see that now - thanks!  However, from an "Artist" perspective, the only way to see where they are located (file-wise) is by drilling down to the albums that they appear on.  Given that they could technically be listed in multiple locations, I can respect that.

EbbandFlow

•  

• Describe the problem in your own words: 

When first loading Emby web app via the 5443 port, I select my library and I am navigated to the Suggestions tab.  Nothing is displayed.  I wait longer, nothing is displayed.  

When first loading Emby web app via the 8181 port, while selecting my library, I see a spinning icon (Emby's) and I am navigated to the Suggestions tab.  Nothing is displayed.  The spinning icon twirls and twirls.  It disappears.  I wait longer, nothing is displayed.

5e1239447cbf7_ScreenShot20200105at12956P

• Please attach the server log from the time frame the activity occurred

(attaching)

This is the overlying item that concerns me the most.  I have to wait ungodly amounts of time for views to display in both the web app and the iOS app for Suggestions, Albums, Artists, etc.  Most of the time they are either blank or have an eternal spinning icon.  Any more detail or logs you may need, just say so.

EbbandFlow

Another issue: when I select the HOME icon in the Emby web app, I am brought to the My Media screen and shown my one Emby server.  However, in addition to this, there is a twirly that never goes away....  is this a clue towards my unpopulating views?5e124c7e94f49_ScreenShot20200105at25156P

EbbandFlow

I also need to get a better handle on the best way to solve some of these organization issues.  My largest example seems to be an erroneous album with 8,015 tracks.....

What is the best way in determining what in the heck happened and how to clean it up?

5e1271a00b3e0_ScreenShot20200105at52924P

Do any of those letter folders happen to have an audio file directly inside, without an album sub-folder?

EbbandFlow

Just checked all 27 of the #, A, B, C, .... , Z directories and no, none of them have an audio file directly inside without an artist sub-folder (you mentioned "album" sub-folder" but each letter folder contains sub-folders for artists not albums).

EbbandFlow

Yes, as exemplified in the folder structure you had just asked me for earlier in the thread.

Ref:  \Alphabetical letter used to break up giant list of artists to 1/27th of the size\Artist\Album\

EbbandFlow

It had erroneously marked my /Music/V/Various Artists/ folder path completely as "the x-files folder".  I changed it to "Various Artists" and will have to take a further look into the proper protocol for establishing each of these albums as Compilations.  
If you could direct me towards any wiki's for this, it'd be greatly appreciated!  I looked through them briefly last night but did not see one for addressing Compilations.

• 1 month later...
EbbandFlow

Thanks Luke.  I gave up on Emby last month though and just went back to iTunes for my music library.  I had been experiencing far too many less-than-ideal issues to justify making the leap.

• 8 months later...

Great news. We now support the new TerraMaster package format. To learn more, please see here:

Thanks.