WebOS 2 subtitle problem

IRO

Hi,

I have problems with subtitles on older webOS 2 tv sets.

External srt is diplayed for a second then disappears. Subtitles embedded in the mkv file cannot be chosen, the first is displayed regardless of settings.

Any other client I tried works fine, including newer LG tv sets, Android phones, a Samsung TV and several web browsers.

(Screenplay application can't display subtitles either, so I think the problem must be webOS version related)

I restarted the emby server from the web interface, then started a movie with an external subtitle. The subtitle displayed for a second, then disappeared. Subtitle size and colour settings were not what I set up previously in user preferences.

The client I started the movie on:

LG 43UF7787-ZA, application version Emby Theater 1.0.20, software version 04.05.85, webOS version 2.2.1-2147 (beehive-biscayne)

My Emby server version is 4.3.1.0, it's running on a Synology DS215+ 

The user I tried to play the file with is named IRO.

The movie is a H264 mkv with AC3 audio. Full details from the movie page are attached.

According to the stats on the client interface and Emby dashboard the movie were direct played.

I can't see new ffmpeg log files generated on the server if I start the movie on the TV, nor on my Android phone, so can't post them. (If I play from a web browser ffmpeg-directstream files are indeed created)

I attach the embyserver and hardware-detection logs.

If it's any help, the oldest LG set which works fine among the ones I tried is a 55LF652V-ZA, software version 04.06.30, webOS version 2.2.3-169 (beehive-biscayne). It's a slightly newer webOS but still version 2.

embyserver.txt

hardware_detection-63713812855.txt

post-563945-0-16340700-1578216797_thumb.jpg

Once.Upon.A.Time.S01E01.Pilot.720p.WEB-DL.DD5.1.H.264-ECI.srt

SamES

I have problems with subtitles on older webOS 2 tv sets.

External srt is diplayed for a second then disappears. Subtitles embedded in the mkv file cannot be chosen, the first is displayed regardless of settings.

Any other client I tried works fine, including newer LG tv sets, Android phones, a Samsung TV and several web browsers.

(Screenplay application can't display subtitles either, so I think the problem must be webOS version related)

Hi, thanks for raising this issue.  This is a known limitation on older webOS models and an issue we are still working on resolving.  Thanks

Hello,

@@SamES I have similar issues with subtitles with a LG TV set as @@IRO describes under WebOS 1.4.0.

LG 55UC970V-ZA, application version Emby Theater 1.0.20, firmware 05.05.90, webOS version 1.4.0-2337 (afro-ashley)

My Emby server version is 4.3.1.0, it's running on a Raspberry Pi 4B 4GB under Rasbian.

The user I tried to play the file with is named socrates.

The TV series episode is a H264 mkv with AC3 audio. Full details (mediainfo) from the TV episode are attached.

According to the stats on the client interface and Emby dashboard the TV episode was played through HTTP with no transcoding.

I hope that the webOS 2.0 workaround (if a resolution is found) applies in 1.4.0.

embyserver.txt

hardware_detection.txt

mediainfo.txt

SamES

I hope that the webOS 2.0 workaround (if a resolution is found) applies in 1.4.0.

Yes, that is the plan

CassianoG

Hi, thanks for raising this issue.  This is a known limitation on older webOS models and an issue we are still working on resolving.  Thanks

Well... I've been having exactly the same symptoms as the openning post, but my TV is running WebOs 4.05.85.

Well... I've been having exactly the same symptoms as the openning post, but my TV is running WebOs 4.05.85.

That sounds like a firmware version, not the webOS version.  I think this is webOS 2.0 firmware

What is the model number of your TV?

To check the webOS version, in LG Smart TV, go to Settings > Quick Settings > General > About this TV > webOS TV Version

CassianoG

That sounds like a firmware version, not the webOS version.  I think this is webOS 2.0 firmware

What is the model number of your TV?

To check the webOS version, in LG Smart TV, go to Settings > Quick Settings > General > About this TV > webOS TV Version

Hello @@SamES, you are completely right. Now I found it:

Model: 49UF8500-SC

WebOS version: 2.2.1-2147 (beehive-biscayne)

Hello SamES, you are completely right. Now I found it:

Model: 49UF8500-SC

WebOS version: 2.2.1-2147 (beehive-biscayne)

No problem, thanks for the update.  Hopefully we can resolve this issue soon.

• 3 months later...
SamES

I have the same issue. Any update on it?

Sorry, not yet

• 3 weeks later...
Avesi

Same problem here, Lg web os: WebOS version: 2.2.3-169 (beehive-biscayne). TV model: 42LF652V-ZA, Lg theater 1.0.24

External subtitles for example in SRT format diapering after second, internal subtitles works fine.

Edited by Avesi

• 2 weeks later...

I've just noticed that some of my movies have working external subtitles :D

It looks like the ones with the Xvid codec shows the subtitles. Haven't done any extensive testing though, and I have only a couple of them.

As I've just upgraded to 4.4.3.0 I must ask, did You do anything related to this? I didn't see anything in the changelog, and the LG app is still the same.

There is a chance, that I didn't notice it working with Xvid, because I said I have only a few movies with this codec.

No, this will require a coordinated workaround in both the server and the app.

• 5 months later...
crazyquark

For me it works as follows: SRT subtitles work always but .sub/subrip subtitles have like a sort of delay, it takes minutes before they start showing up and then it works for that file until the end. Some sort of buffering, matching, no idea?

My WebOS software version is 5.20.02 on an LG OLED55C8PLA.

My emby server is 4.6.0.5 beta(just switched to beta to see if it works better but I can switch back to stable).

All other clients(browser, iOS, Infuse...) work fine with subtitles.

Edited by crazyquark

4 hours ago, crazyquark said:

For me it works as follows: SRT subtitles work always but .sub/subrip subtitles have like a sort of delay, it takes minutes before they start showing up and then it works for that file until the end. Some sort of buffering, matching, no idea?

My WebOS software version is 5.20.02 on an LG OLED55C8PLA.

My emby server is 4.6.0.5 beta(just switched to beta to see if it works better but I can switch back to stable).

All other clients(browser, iOS, Infuse...) work fine with subtitles.

Hi there @crazyquark, let's look at an example. Please attach the information requested in how to report a media playback issue. thanks !

• Like 1