How do I fetch metadata for people only?

Electrical_problems
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

MBSki

@Happy2Play Yes, on a brand new library it appears to pull in all the people images. I checked some of the new movies I just added too, and, like you said, it seems like it just doesn't pull like in people images of people that it already scanned.   

@Luke Refreshing metadata doesn't work. It would be nice if there was a way to pull in the missing people images other than individually clicking on each one with missing images. Any other suggestions?

Refreshing metadata on the movie, series or episode works just fine if tvdb or moviedb has an image for that person.

MBSki
Just now, Luke said:

Refreshing metadata on the movie, series or episode works just fine if tvdb or moviedb has an image for that person.

I just told you that I tried it and it doesn't work. Why exactly don't you believe me?

Have you gone over a specific example and provided all of the information requested in my link above?

MBSki
3 minutes ago, Luke said:

Have you gone over a specific example and provided all of the information requested in my link above?

I'll reiterate again in a bit, but essentially, "The pics are there, they just don't show up (on the movie page) until I open the person's page"

MBSki

Here's a good example.

The Bad News Bears. No image on movie detail page for Walter Matthau.

image.png.d31fe9c78571ab033f00ea7678b18307.png

Image on Walter Matthau's page

image.png.5f0ee8584ce97321ccf04a40daa9bc6e.png

After going to Walter Matthau's page, back to movie detail page, and clicking refresh, Walter Matthau's image appears.

image.png.f74016e6f403d29155a3db99fe128478.png

Refresh metadata doesn't seem to have the same result. It works sometimes, but not others. 

1 hour ago, mbarylski said:

After going to Walter Matthau's page, back to movie detail page, and clicking refresh, Walter Matthau's image appears.

Page/browser refresh or meta-data refresh?

The real question is why doesn't the image show up on the movie when loaded but does when you go to the person's page?
They should both be using the same method to know there isn't an image and pull it down.

When no image is available on meta-data lookup this could be saved in the database with a date for when it was last checked.  This way Emby doesn't hammer the meta-data provider trying to fetch the same image over and over but would wait X days before trying again.

Happy2Play
2 hours ago, mbarylski said:

I'll reiterate again in a bit, but essentially, "The pics are there, they just don't show up (on the movie page) until I open the person's page"

What do you mean "The pics are there"?  But I bet the log shows the image being downloaded when you enter the person details page.  But only specific examples and logs would show this.

MBSki
3 minutes ago, cayars said:

Page/browser refresh or meta-data refresh?

Page/browser refresh.

4 minutes ago, cayars said:

The real question is why doesn't the image show up on the movie when loaded but does when you go to the person's page?
They should both be using the same method to know there isn't an image and pull it down.

Yep

4 minutes ago, cayars said:

When no image is available on meta-data lookup this could be saved in the database with a date for when it was last checked.  This way Emby doesn't hammer the meta-data provider trying to fetch the same image over and over but would wait X days before trying again.

That sounds like a potential solution.

MBSki
15 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

What do you mean "The pics are there"?  But I bet the log shows the image being downloaded when you enter the person details page.  But only specific examples and logs would show this.

On the persons page the head shot is there.

image.png.6ddfaaa5e4355d7b68ad8126c1121f9c.png

Happy2Play
1 minute ago, mbarylski said:

On the persons page the head shot is there.

image.png.6ddfaaa5e4355d7b68ad8126c1121f9c.png

Correct and does the log show that image being downloaded on demand when you enter the page or are you saying you had that image in your /library/xx/xxxxxxxxxxxxxx or /metadata/people folder already?

But the odds are the log shows Emby getting this "https://www.themoviedb.org/t/p/original/oAMxqfGR0C5Ru5vER9Y4OP6P0xR.jpg"

Now your database may have urls instead of downloaded image paths that would cause this on demand issue also

MBSki
5 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

Correct and does the log show that image being downloaded on demand when you enter the page or are you saying you had that image in your /library/xx/xxxxxxxxxxxxxx or /metadata/people folder already?

But the odds are the log shows Emby getting this "https://www.themoviedb.org/t/p/original/oAMxqfGR0C5Ru5vER9Y4OP6P0xR.jpg"

Now your database may have urls instead of downloaded image paths that would cause this on demand issue also

I see this in the logs. I assume that means it fetched the image when I accessed the person page right?

2021-10-07 11:03:43.795 Info HttpClient: GET https://image.tmdb.org/t/p/original/oAMxqfGR0C5Ru5vER9Y4OP6P0xR.jpg

Happy2Play
2 minutes ago, mbarylski said:

I see this in the logs. I assume that means it fetched the image when I accessed the person page right?

2021-10-07 11:03:43.795 Info HttpClient: GET https://image.tmdb.org/t/p/original/oAMxqfGR0C5Ru5vER9Y4OP6P0xR.jpg

Correct, so I would guess your database has some urls for people in it and the will only be gotten on demand.

MBSki
Just now, Happy2Play said:

Correct, so I would guess your database has some urls for people in it and the will only be gotten on demand.

Ok, but why would it fetch when I go to the person page, but not the movie page?

Happy2Play

Does the log show the image being saved to /metadata/people or does the image exist there now? @mbarylski

MBSki
2 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

Does the log show the image being saved to /metadata/people or does the image exist there now? @mbarylski

I don't see "/metadata/people" anywhere in the logs. Does that mean the image is already saved?

You only get an image if it came from the movie, series or episode metadata from tvdb or tmdb. That's why you're not seeing it on the cast list of the video.

Then you click on the person and we do a one-time metadata refresh to pull in the biography, and sometimes this may also get an image if one wasn't already there.

Happy2Play
1 minute ago, mbarylski said:

Ok, but why would it fetch when I go to the person page, but not the movie page?

Don't know for sure but I would guess something to do with database information.  And there is a design different on the page itself as the person that made the people download plugins noticed the same this.  Entering empty people placeholders has a auto fetch function.

Looks like Luke just explained that.

Happy2Play
2 minutes ago, mbarylski said:

I don't see "/metadata/people" anywhere in the logs. Does that mean the image is already saved?

Really need to see log but /metadata/people is where all people images are now, but can be in /library/xx/xxxxxx until refreshed again on a older install as they have bounced from /metadata/people/alpha folders to /library/xx/xxxxxxxx, now back to /metadata/people name-id folders.

But this folder is in your Data Path location, same as logs and cache.

MBSki
Just now, Happy2Play said:

Really need to see log but /metadata/people is where all people images are now, but can be in /library/xx/xxxxxx until refreshed again on a older install as they have bounced from /metadata/people/alpha folders to /library/xx/xxxxxxxx, now back to /metadata/people name-id folders.

But this folder is in your Data Path location, same as logs and cache.

I'll send you a PM. Maybe you can find it. 😁

MBSki
15 minutes ago, Luke said:

You only get an image if it came from the movie, series or episode metadata from tvdb or tmdb. That's why you're not seeing it on the cast list of the video.

Then you click on the person and we do a one-time metadata refresh to pull in the biography, and sometimes this may also get an image if one wasn't already there.

I'm not completely following.

The movie page in tmdb has the person image. So why wouldn't I see it on the cast list of the video if it's included in the movie metadata in tmdb? It's sounding like it's because Emby doesn't go out and grab it more than once like @Happy2Play mentioned earlier. But then I don't understand whey Emby does go out and get it when going to the person page. Why not fetch on the movie page too?

image.png.5b38b73bf3096ebd5a5a11c5e108197d.png

So why wouldn't I see it on the cast list of the video if it's included in the movie metadata in tmdb?

You will. Try refreshing the metadata of the movie and see if that helps. If it doesn't, then please see:

Thanks.

MBSki
1 minute ago, Luke said:

You will. Try refreshing the metadata of the movie and see if that helps. If it doesn't, then please see:

Thanks.

🤬 What the heck do you think I'm doing Luke? I've reported the problem. Did you miss the part when I said it doesn't work?