Media Browser Client (iOS) iPad

MSL_DK

darwindeeds

Hi. First of all great work and great app!!

I can confirm app is crashing a lot when just scrolling thru the movie library also when going into movies it takes about 1-2 minutes till movies load could that be because of 1500+ movies because when going into TV e.g. which has only 10-20 TV shows it loads instantly.

Anyway this is just to let you guys know and I am sure you will come up with the fixes in the next few updates.

@@Sahne if I hear it right, your 1500 movies takes time to load and then crash happens randomly while scrolling, right?

Can you try a couple of things for me?

After the list loads, can you scroll around slowly until all the images load?

After everything is loaded, switch tabs and see if the movies tab still take 1-2 mins. Can you give me like an exact couple of movies that you have?

What happens is after the first load, the app caches both the movie list as well as the images to make for a faster tab switching and scrolling but ~2000 movies is where it might start having issues. So I wanted to get a more clearer picture on that edge case. There is no doubt the issue needs to be addressed, but I wanted to get a better understanding.

sfnetwork

I'm wondering what is the difference, I have around 1800 movies. Yes, longer to load but never crashed though... (iPad mini Retina BTW)

darwindeeds

@@sfnetwork, we have used your server as a test case and that's why we were fairly confident that we could handle ~2000 movies. But there are couple or reported cases where users are having issues less than your number, so trying to understand the different numbers. Btw, how to enable/disable missing/unaired episodes?

sfnetwork

@@sfnetwork, we have used your server as a test case and that's why we were fairly confident that we could handle ~2000 movies. But there are couple or reported cases where users are having issues less than your number, so trying to understand the different numbers. Btw, how to enable/disable missing/unaired episodes?

Didn't check but could it be the iPad model that makes the difference? (CPU, mem, etc...)

megs8888

I have installed the new iPad app it finds server but nothing seems to be working could someone assist please it would be appreciated.

It's asking for a password but I haven't set one up on my PC? I enter the IP address and Port 8096 and it doesn't connect at all.

JohnVee

Hi darwindeeds, I'm fairly new to media browser, but maybe I can help out with reporting what I've noticed regarding the slow loading of the movie library.

Both my iPad 2 and iPad mini take about 30 seconds to load the movies page that has about 1400 titles.

If you navigate away from movies: Home, TV Shows or folders, then go back to movies, like you say images are cached and they show up right away......But, if either one of the iPads go into sleep mode (screen turns off) while on a page other then movies, returning back to movies takes another 30 seconds for the page to populate again. Also minimizing or closing the app, then reopening does the same thing. You have to wait 30 seconds again each initial time you enter the movies page.

I hope this helps, let me know if there's any more info you need, or anything else I can test for you. This is one beautiful app you guys have made! Well worth the wait! :)

Also, if I can just make a few recommendation/suggestions while I'm here.

1. In the movies section, I would just like for my movies to show up in there. Right now, all my documentaries, concerts, and stand-up comedy show up. I would rather just access those from the Folders section.

2. If possible, when selecting a box set, have it so it sorts ascending by default like the web client does. Then when hitting the back button to exit the box set, go back to whatever sort option you were on.

3.In the folders section, I think it would look better if the folders were 16x9 (thumb) size. Would be really cool if it pulled whatever images you are using in the server/web client  :)

4. The home screen is awesome! You guys did such a great job. If I can just make one suggestion there, it would be to use a thumb image "if available" in place of the background image. That way, all the artwork on the home screen will have a logo on it for the movie or TV Show. If no thumb is available, then fallback to the background image.

Thanks for listening, really enjoying this app so far!

JohnVee

It's asking for a password but I haven't set one up on my PC? I enter the IP address and Port 8096 and it doesn't connect at all.

After you enter your IP address and port # in settings, did you select it by tapping on the circle? It will turn blue when selected.

If you did that already, I would just go to the dashboard and setup a password. It will only ask you for it the first time. Hopefully that gets you started.

mini__me

Installed late last night after a nightmare commute home, didn't have much time to play with it but it looked stunning!

Very very slick and, I personally thought, a very intuitive GUI.

Excellent job guys keep up the great work!

That makes No. 3 of MB3 clients purchased iOS, Android and Windows 8....what can I buy next? Xbone? ;)

Necker

@@Necker, I checked the actor bio DOB and it seems to match with the web client. Can you attach a screenshot of where it doesnt match?

Here is an example of what i see in the server and what i see in the app.

post-476-0-34458100-1403259127_thumb.jpgpost-476-0-49377000-1403259150_thumb.jpg

Gronnie

I have 1142 movies currently. Haven't had any crash issues, but the movie tab does take 25 seconds to load.

Also had something weird when watching something. Not sure what I pressed, but tv show episode was still playing in background but I was back in app with no way (that I could see) to get back to the player.

sfnetwork

I have 1142 movies currently. Haven't had any crash issues, but the movie tab does take 25 seconds to load.

Also had something weird when watching something. Not sure what I pressed, but tv show episode was still playing in background but I was back in app with no way (that I could see) to get back to the player.

Just curious What iPad do you use (to have a better idea of the loading delays, etc...)?

Did your issue occurred more than once? Because I don't even think it's possible to have a playback running in background on iOS to my knowledge... That might be an isolated bug too...

Hi,

Just purchased the app and although it looks nice, I am a little disappointed as there seems to be no support for:

-subtitles both for ipad playback as Well as using mpc-hc classic client in remote play

-iso files containing blu-ray rips or avchd

Anything I miss here?

Any plans On these features?

The first version of iPhone version had this support for iso but it was broken by the update.

Thanks for your support On this.

Kind regards,

-SR-

Gronnie

Just curious What iPad do you use (to have a better idea of the loading delays, etc...)?

Did your issue occurred more than once? Because I don't even think it's possible to have a playback running in background on iOS to my knowledge... That might be an isolated bug too...

I use an iPad Mini (non retina).

Only had it happen once, and not sure what I did, so no way to reproduce it.

• Like 1

darwindeeds

Hi,

Just purchased the app and although it looks nice, I am a little disappointed as there seems to be no support for:

-subtitles both for ipad playback as Well as using mpc-hc classic client in remote play

-iso files containing blu-ray rips or avchd

Anything I miss here?

Any plans On these features?

The first version of iPhone version had this support for iso but it was broken by the update.

Thanks for your support On this.

Kind regards,

-SR-

Local subtitle support is in the works.

Will research on ISO support

• Like 2

Hi,

When browsing cast filmography, I noticed only movies are shown, compared to Android client, other contents when the same actor are listed in their Metadata are not displayed in iPad client

Sent from my HTC Butterfly using Tapatalk

megs8888

I have installed the new iPad app it finds server but nothing seems to be working could someone assist please it would be appreciated.

Adding password to MB3 did the trick thanks.

• Like 2

Local subtitle support is in the works.

Will research on ISO support

Shiv you might want to go ahead and start using the new text subtitle api

http://mediabrowser.tv/community/index.php?/topic/7965-new-subtitle-api

it will be in the next server release which i'm guessing will come before your next update hits the store

Pete Mazz

Cool app!! Movies and TV work fine but does this support jpgs and mpgs? If I go into folders and then to my pics and music folders respectively, I get thumbnails but when clicking on individual photos or music albums I see the "media not supported" pop up. Am I doing something wrong or is this not supported?

kreeturez

I've seen this happen also.

Basically if the server is still prepping the stream (during black-screen 'Loading...' message) and you multi-task out of the app, returning to it causes it to get stuck when you return - either with the video playing (with the 'Loading' overlay still visible on it); or on a black screen (also with the 'Loading' overlay still visible). No way to get back to playback controls; but tapping does still toggle the overlay. Requires a multi-task swipe-up to kill to get back to the library.

Seems more likely to occur when there's a large pre-buffer from the server; on large MKV's for instance.

Tested on an original iPad Mini.

Not a show-stopper for me since I rarely multitask with it running, though.

Just submitted another 5-star review to go with all the (well-deserved) others.

Edited by kreeturez
  • Like 1

AkiyiaXiao

Just bought the app, + updated the server.

The iPad app seem's to have the play button missing. I can see the trailer and info buttons but no play button exists, like the screen shots show.

App works fine on my iPhone, also fine using the web interface.

edit: just ignore this, I guess I needed to wait until the server finishing scanning.

Edited by AkiyiaXiao

darwindeeds

@AkiyiaXiao I was going say. check the user rights. It sounded like you were using a view only user. 

I use media browser classic via wmc7. If I do remote play and open bd rip, it uses mpc-hc to play the movie, it starts playing but when I hit pause button, there's no response. Movie keeps playing.

Anything I need to do or is this not possible yet?

Thanks,

-SR-

Edited by -SR-

Scott310

Is anyone else having trouble with DLNA streaming to the XBox One with the new ipad app?  I have been using the Web client on my ipad for a while to send movies to the Xbox One but I am having no luck with the new app.  The Xbox shows up in the available devices list but when you select it and push play, nothing happens :(

Thanks,

S.

• Like 1

darwindeeds

I've seen this happen also.

Basically if the server is still prepping the stream (during black-screen 'Loading...' message) and you multi-task out of the app, returning to it causes it to get stuck when you return - either with the video playing (with the 'Loading' overlay still visible on it); or on a black screen (also with the 'Loading' overlay still visible). No way to get back to playback controls; but tapping does still toggle the overlay. Requires a multi-task swipe-up to kill to get back to the library.

Seems more likely to occur when there's a large pre-buffer from the server; on large MKV's for instance.

Tested on an original iPad Mini.

Not a show-stopper for me since I rarely multitask with it running, though.

I noticed this issue as well. Will make sure it gets fixed in the next update (not the one that is coming up, we have an update submitted to the appstore to fix other player issues). I agree that its quite annoying. 

• Like 1

darwindeeds

Thanks for the review, it means a lot to us. Helps us gain visibility and keeps us motivated. 

Your feedback is as important as your review, so please drop your feedback or vote for feature requests in mbios.uservoice.com . It helps us prioritize the work. 

• Like 1