Media Browser Client (iOS) iPad

MSL_DK

philman84

Ok well done guys, I'm liking it.

One thing I'm going to have to work out is the whole folder setup for the way things are displayed. I still have a main movies folder with sub folders underneath which sort out into things like box sets, animation etc etc using the old shortcut technique, then other folders will have new movies etc.

Windows would look like this

/Movies
                /animation (box set)
                                 - movie.lnk
                /box sets (box set)
                         /movie (collection)
                                 -movie.lnk
                /new movies
                         /Movie (2014)
                                 - movie.h264

post-1284-0-39214400-1403084780_thumb.jpg

This displays nicely in MB Classic on WMC7

Here is a picture of what I'm seeing in the app, and the webclient

post-1284-0-32427400-1403084324_thumb.jpg

Also DLNA doesn't work for the app. Can operate DLNA fine using the ipad and the webpage.

Edited by philman84
  • Like 1

Durandahl

Ok, so I've messed around with the iPad app on three different servers and 2 different computers and my initial verdict:

Worth every second of waiting time; worth every penny.

It's superb.

I have a couple of initial observations and suggestions if there's a suitable outlet for them? Other than that, it's a fantastic product and everyone concerned should be very proud.

Honestly, great job.

• Like 2

darwindeeds

Thanks for the feedback guys. If you would like to make feature suggestions, please post it in user voice. We will get instant notifications and users can vote on the features and we can easily prioritize the suggestions

http://mbios.uservoice.com

Edited by darwindeeds

Gronnie

Thanks for the feedback guys. If you would like to make feature suggestions, please post it in user voice. We will get instant notifications and users can vote on the features and we can easily prioritize the suggestions

http://mbios.uservoice.com

App looks good.

I just made a suggestion at the uservoice link. Would be nice to be able to set different default bitrates depending on whether server is local or if I am away from home as my upload speed is only 4 Mb/s, but I can obviously do much more than that locally.

Edited by darwindeeds
  • Like 1

itechdad

I am not sure if it's just me but I found a few major issues that should be addressed

-The fast forward/rewind buttons don't work

-can't skip through video with slider

-can't resume videos they just start over but timer thinks it resumed

-watched button does nothing

These are simple things the app should do. That is unless it's only my setup that is doing it.

Edited by itechdad

allen00se

Does everyone's TV Shows window look like this? I posted a suggestion arrange the banners in a list instead of a grid so they are larger with less blank space.

53a1afcaae8e9_photo.png

allen00se

no, my tv shows uses thumbs, not banners.

any idea how to change? I assume its a server setting somewhere since the iPad app doesnt have one...

sfnetwork

any idea how to change? I assume its a server setting somewhere since the iPad app doesnt have one...

if you check on your web client the images for one TV show, what do you  see? 

Mine

2014-06-18%2012-28-46%20PM.jpg

On my iPad, it shows the primary.

Edited by sfnetwork
  • Like 1

darwindeeds

I am not sure if it's just me but I found a few major issues that should be addressed

-The fast forward/rewind buttons don't work

-can't skip through video with slider

-can't resume videos they just start over but timer thinks it resumed

-watched button does nothing

These are simple things the app should do. That is unless it's only my setup that is doing it.

Thanks for the feedback.

We did notice that the forward/rewind button doesn't work in the latest release, possibly introduced by a regression. it will be marked as high priority issue and fixed in the next update. 

The slider does work, but the sensitivity seems to be low, so for smaller seeks it doesn't seem to work. It is quite annoying when coupled with the forward/rewind issue so both these issues with be fixed in the next update.

Can you please elaborate the issue related to resume videos? This is the first that am hearing this.

Watched button works, if you mark a movie watched and go back to the list, it does not reflect that it is watched as the list is cached and you need to pull to refresh to get the latest data. Caching was our primary need so we decided to handle this issue on the future updates. We have drafted out a way to handle this issue, the implementation will be underway soon (probably after the first few critical fixes). Until then, the users will have to periodically pull to refresh to get latest items. Although, if the user goes back to detail it will be marked as completed as that is a realtime call.

Please note that, with iOS apps we have limited beta testers support unlike other platforms so we have to, in someways, rely on end users like you reporting these issues. We appreciate that you have taken time to report these issues. We have scheduled periodic updates that will fix some of these critical issues.

Edited by darwindeeds

darwindeeds

App Crash  :o we will look into it. Its definitely not your library size, couple of our testers have well over 2000 movies. My doubt is with some sort of special character in the sort field.

As far as sorting goes, we have meta score, critical rating (is this IMDB?) and rotten tomatoes. I think right now you can sort by critical rating. Adding support for meta score should be trivial. There is a feature request for adding rotten tomatoes ratings for display and sorting, you can vote on it. 

We wouldn't be sorting based on parental ratings, if we did anything it, it will be for filtering. 

Pelon

It took me a while to find the new app directly in the iPad. It is a the top of the list, however with the new icon that is no related at all to MB, it is not obvious that this is the app that I was looking for.

I do like the feeling of the app, and I find it very responsive.

I was able to skip with the slider, however it is buggy. When I move the slider, the video showed where the slider landed, however the video was frozen, so I had to click pause and then play.

It is also missing the option of selecting languages and subtitles.

Are we going to get the option of having channels?

Also can we have a setting to hide 3D videos, it is technically impossible to watch them on the iPad. Know that we can connect the iPad to a TV and watch the videos, or that we can even use it as a remote control to control another client that can play 3D video.

Tharnax

I noticed that if you set your MB3 server to display episodes which are missing or unaired in the iPad app they show up as though they are available for viewing and you can click on them and attempt to play them in the iPad add.  Potential confusion/frustration for a user who isn't keeping track of what episodes are actually on the server available for viewing.

53a1c6284de2b_Whosline1.jpg

53a1c6364a51e_Whosline2.jpg

Edited by Tharnax
  • Like 1

Mfusick

I hate that feature and turn it off.  Only show me what I can watch.  Don't tease me with what I can't.  

Necker

By the way trying to sort by ratings just crashing the app. I think this is because of the size of my library. (~ 1800 movies)

In the mean time what type of ratings are we talking about in this case? I assume that it is IMDB or Metascore ratings. I shouldn't be Parental Ratings,

right? Because sort by parental ratings is not logical. Parental rating should be used as filters, sorting by parental ratings does not make any sense ;)

Can confirm i also get crashing when selecting either rating or run time in the sort options. I'll have a look through my data to see if i have anything odd in those fields.

Also noticed a minor thing but thought i would mention it, the birth date in the actor bio is wrong because it's interpreting the format incorrectly from the server, ie its got the day and month the wrong way round.

Really liking the app so far. There are some feature request i have, but i'll log them in uservoice.

darwindeeds

I noticed that if you set your MB3 server to display episodes which are missing or unaired in the iPad app they show up as though they are available for viewing and you can click on them and attempt to play them in the iPad add.  Potential confusion/frustration for a user who isn't keeping track of what episodes are actually on the server available for viewing.

I thought we had tested for this particular issue, will have to test it again with the server changes. Thanks for reporting it.

I create an issue to track this, feel free to subscribe to it, to get latest updates on this issue.

https://mbios.uservoice.com/forums/255453-general/suggestions/6069928-hide-unaired-missing-episodes

Edited by darwindeeds
  • Like 1

I hate that feature and turn it off.  Only show me what I can watch.  Don't tease me with what I can't.  

Well there's nothing to turn off, because it is off by default.

• Like 1

denethor

App Crash :o we will look into it.

Let me know if you cannot re-pro this. I can send my crash logs to you.(latestcrash-media browser.plist)

Tharnax

I like the missing episodes feature because then I know what episodes I may have missed obtaining automatically and requires manual intervention. 

I really like that I can then run a report for all missing episodes.  I just wish I had a little more control over the report so those 20+ shows where I don't care about the first 15"ish" seasons as I've watched previously and deleted which show up on the report.  It'd be nice to set a latest season option as a filter, but that's a feature request for MB3 server.  :)

Thanks @darwindeeds, I've voted it up and will be setting up an account over there... eventually.  ;)

itechdad

Thanks for the feedback.

We did notice that the forward/rewind button doesn't work in the latest release, possibly introduced by a regression. it will be marked as high priority issue and fixed in the next update. 

The slider does work, but the sensitivity seems to be low, so for smaller seeks it doesn't seem to work. It is quite annoying when coupled with the forward/rewind issue so both these issues with be fixed in the next update.

Can you please elaborate the issue related to resume videos? This is the first that am hearing this.

Watched button works, if you mark a movie watched and go back to the list, it does not reflect that it is watched as the list is cached and you need to pull to refresh to get the latest data. Caching was our primary need so we decided to handle this issue on the future updates. We have drafted out a way to handle this issue, the implementation will be underway soon (probably after the first few critical fixes). Until then, the users will have to periodically pull to refresh to get latest items. Although, if the user goes back to detail it will be marked as completed as that is a realtime call.

Please note that, with iOS apps we have limited beta testers support unlike other platforms so we have to, in someways, rely on end users like you reporting these issues. We appreciate that you have taken time to report these issues. We have scheduled periodic updates that will fix some of these critical issues.

I checked on the watched status and I can't get it to update on server still

After I clicked the watched button went back and refreshed (by pulling down) and it didn't show as being watched

Looked in web client on server too and didn't show as watched.

Perhaps the caching is causing this not sure. Was just letting you know.

For the resume it worked for a movie I was already watching in the web client and then stopped it

I tried with a movie in the app and was able to skip ahead an hour, watched for 5 minutes then stopped.

Both the app and the web client didn't see that I was watching the movie and wanted to start it over.

Not sure if this is app or server related.

Understand about the beta tester thing. This app is tons better then using web client on ipad.

Bugs will be worked out in time great job love the app so far!

• Like 1

kjohnsonmtg

Remote play is not working from iPad to Web Client or Media Browser Classic(MBC)..I get an error that says client error 422..I can play from Web Client to MBC..I am New to Media Browser and just wondering that I am maybe did not have a setting selected on the Server or etc.

Edited by kjohnsonmtg

darwindeeds

Also noticed a minor thing but thought i would mention it, the birth date in the actor bio is wrong because it's interpreting the format incorrectly from the server, ie its got the day and month the wrong way round.

@@Necker, I checked the actor bio DOB and it seems to match with the web client. Can you attach a screenshot of where it doesnt match?

Edited by darwindeeds

Sahne

Hi. First of all great work and great app!! 

I can confirm app is crashing a lot when just scrolling thru the movie library also when going into movies it takes about 1-2 minutes till movies load could that be because of 1500+ movies because when going into TV e.g. which has only 10-20 TV shows it loads instantly. 

Anyway this is just to let you guys know and I am sure you will come up with the fixes in the next few updates. 

denethor

Great work, congrats for the release.

Missing only 2 things comparing to web clients:

- On the fly bandwidth, audio track, subtitle selection

- Filters and sorting capabilities