Emby Theater demands Emby Server update

pju

After having run rock solid for a long time, ET suddenly won't connect to my Emby Server.

I'm shown the "Select Server" page and when I select my server, I get a popup (attached) telling me that Emby Server needs to be updated. And when I push "Got It", I'm returned to the connect page.

My metadata is built on xml files so I froze my Emby Server at version 3.5.3.0.

And ET is running 3.0.6.0.

Being happy with what I have, I thought I could run this setup until something else broke.

I can of course continue to use WMC - but has become pretty happy with ET.

Of course no support is available being this backlevel.

But, still, if anyone could throw a little light on what is going on - and if I can do something to get ET back into business.

theater-63713664838.txt

post-151602-0-23738600-1578064601_thumb.jpg

lorac

There's a plug-in for XML metadata and you can choose to read it first over NFO metadata.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Yes, thanks. The main issue for me is the handling of "People" where I today have quite a bit of personal edited stuff in the legacy "metadata/People" file structure. Which no longer is used by Emby Server. A lot of good people have been looking into this issue since the major Emby Server update, so this can be solved, too.

So, when I 'm forced to move, I'll move - but this one I simply do not understand.

Been carting around in the weekend - debugging and tracing. And still confused.

Seems the message comes from electron - but why does electron suddenly react this way, when - to the best of my knowledge - nothing has been changed?

@@Luke -  please give me a hint: have I lost ET until I upgrade ES? Or is there something I can tweak - code, json,, config, .... ?

Yes, I have installed ET on a "fresh" Win7 - set up like my WMC server. Symptom is exactly the same.

I also have downloaded ET from GitHub and built a debug version in Visual Studio - same issue.

What puzzles me is that I cannot find any trace of where the text int the popup comes from, nor can I find the code making the check.

Looks like it somehow comes from within electron. At least I can reproduce the problem by running Electron from the command line with the arguments used by ET.

But then I suppose it has to be defined in some config files.

Edited by pju

I ran into this problem right as we were sitting down for family movie night. Needless to say we couldn't watch the movie we wanted to.

@@Luke

Why build this 'time-bomb' functionality into the app? If someone has a stable combination of client and server, don't force them to update. I also think there should be a feature to turn off the auto-upgrade feature of the client without removing the upgrade executable from the emby folder. Let people make the choice when to upgrade, don't force it on them. If they want new features, or need a bug fix then they'll need to upgrade. Is there any reason you're forcing people to upgrade?

Edited by Mael
  • Like 1

Thomas64

Grr..

Same issue here with Emby Theater - demands Server update. (I am running Version 4.0.2.0 still..)

Hadn't upgraded because I haven't had the energy/time to mess with it.

Especially since everything was working perfectly for my needs.

I totally get only so many older versions can remain in support at one time.

But, the choice to auto-upgrade Theater (just as in Server) really needs to be implemented, as mentioned in previous posts.

Then, I (and others) could have kept our old version of Server and Theater running until we were ready to tackle an upgrade - or it all blew up, whichever came first. LOL

Edited by Thomas64

Grr..

Same issue here with Emby Theater - demands Server update. (I am running Version 4.0.2.0 still..)

Hadn't upgraded because I haven't had the energy/time to mess with it.

Especially since everything was working perfectly for my needs.

I totally get only so many older versions can remain in support at one time.

But, the choice to auto-upgrade Theater (just as in Server) really needs to be implemented, as mentioned in previous posts.

Then, I (and others) could have kept our old version of Server and Theater running until we were ready to tackle an upgrade - or it all blew up, whichever cam first. LOL

HI, even if you want to stay on an older version, just FYI, 4.0.3 was just a very small patch fix release over 4.0.2.

Thomas64

Luke -

Thanks for the tip! Would that get Theater working again?

I might just do that if so - or go ahead and take this as a kick in the pants to upgrade.. (It had been on the To Do list anyway..)

Thanks..

Still think this software and you guys building it are the best thing around - in spite of a WTF moment with Theater this morning.. LOL

Edited by Thomas64

Yes it will.

This dependency on data being fetched from - I guess - the Emby web site, is that something you consider removed in the rewrite of Theater?

I back the above posts about the wish of being able to decide not to upgrade - as with the server.

For some reason you apparently do not want to comment on these wishes.

I agree, too, that EMBY is one of the best products around - stable and functional. Which have the "downside" that some of us have got exactly what we want and do not want to upgrade ;-)

We do support older versions of the server but only up to a reasonable point the we can handle. Generally speaking we support server versions up to a year old. Over time it becomes more difficult to move forward when we have to keep older code around to accommodate older versions. Eventually that accumulates to a certain point and we have to make difficult decisions such as this.

We do support older versions of the server but only up to a reasonable point the we can handle. Generally speaking we support server versions up to a year old. Over time it becomes more difficult to move forward when we have to keep older code around to accommodate older versions. Eventually that accumulates to a certain point and we have to make difficult decisions such as this.

Thanks a lot for your answer -  and I fully understand and back your point of view.

But what surprised me was that ET could stop working although not upgraded.

And the question was if that design is meant to stay or is considered changed.

The main reason for my question is that I still am considering whether to stay at WMC/Windows 7 (and make my wife happy) - or due to missing security upgrades to Windows 7 move to Windows 10.

And if I stay at Win7, Emby will sooner or later get to a version unable to run due to for instance .Net versions incompatible with Win7.

Which makes it extremely interesting to know if "frozen" software stops working.

So, no support - but maybe a look into the crystal ball.

I can certainly understand supporting older versions of the software is not an option. No one is suggesting you should provide support for outdated versions. Instead of preventing the client from connecting, how about some sort message that comes up indicating you're on an unsupported version of Emby Server, but still allows you to connect? This sets the expectation that they don't get support, but allows people to upgrade at a time convenient for them. This would be a much better experience than sitting down to watch a movie only to realize you can't because you need to update the server.

Speaking for myself, I value stability over the latest features. This software is the centerpiece of my home theater setup and it just needs to work. I get nothing but grief from my family when something goes wrong with Emby.  Don't get me wrong, I look forward to new features and have been excited about the direction the product is going in, but when someone sits down to watch something, Emby JUST NEEDS TO WORK. I have other pieces of crucial home automation/control software like this running in my house and I never rush right out and install the latest version without reading the release notes and looking at community posts to see what kind of issues people are having with the new version. For Emby clients I first install them on my gaming PC to test them prior to putting them on the HTPC.  Please stop forcing upgrades on us. Allow us to consume them at a pace that works for us. This includes both time bombs in the server and auto-upgrading Emby Theater clients.

Thank you for all the hard work you guys put in on the product. 

Edited by Mael

I can certainly understand supporting older versions of the software is not an option. No one is suggesting you should provide support for outdated versions. Instead of preventing the client from connecting, how about some sort message that comes up indicating you're on an unsupported version of Emby Server, but still allows you to connect? This sets the expectation that they don't get support, but allows people to upgrade at a time convenient for them. This would be a much better experience than sitting down to watch a movie only to realize you can't because you need to update the server.

Speaking for myself, I value stability over the latest features. This software is the centerpiece of my home theater setup and it just needs to work. I get nothing but grief from my family when something goes wrong with Emby.  Don't get me wrong, I look forward to new features and have been excited about the direction the product is going in, but when someone sits down to watch something, Emby JUST NEEDS TO WORK. I have other pieces of crucial home automation/control software like this running in my house and I never rush right out and install the latest version without reading the release notes and looking at community posts to see what kind of issues people are having with the new version. For Emby clients I first install them on my gaming PC to test them prior to putting them on the HTPC.  Please stop forcing upgrades on us. Allow us to consume them at a pace that works for us. This includes both time bombs in the server and auto-upgrading Emby Theater clients.

Thank you for all the hard work you guys put in on the product. 

Hi.  By "supporting" the older versions he meant maintaining the code in the app so that it will continue to work properly with both old and new versions.  At some point, that becomes so complex that it holds the app back from moving forward so we have to remove the support for the older version.

So, we can't just warn you as the issue is the app isn't going to work properly (could even crash in some instances).

Does that make sense?

Hi.  By "supporting" the older versions he meant maintaining the code in the app so that it will continue to work properly with both old and new versions.  At some point, that becomes so complex that it holds the app back from moving forward so we have to remove the support for the older version.

So, we can't just warn you as the issue is the app isn't going to work properly (could even crash in some instances).

Does that make sense?

Hi,

It makes a lot of sense.

Just, in this case, it is confusing that ET stops working when upgrade of both ET and ES has been disabled.

In which case I would expect it to run until something outside Emby broke it. Like OS upgrades, graphical drivers, ...

As I would expect for any other software.

Looks like ET is fetching some runtime assets besides license - guess on the Emby site.

And what I am searching for is not a fix to the my version of Emby/ET - but an answer to: Will ET also in future versions be dependent on runtime assets out of my control.

Because then it may be a short lived help to freeze Emby software.

Hope it makes sense, too.